General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 43m 36s
Overall Rank = 233/967
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed around 7:30 the night before the race. Woke up initially and felt like I had slept forever. Checked my watch and....11:30, dang it wasn't even raceday yet. Went back to sleep and woke up at 4:20. Filled up my three bottles for the bike and made my pre race breakfast of PB&honey bagels. Checked out of the hotel and headed out to T1 in Wrightsville Beach.
Got to T1 and holy cow it is COLD outside. Ate by bagels and had a redbull while I finished getting everything set up. Bus for the half didn't leave for the beach until 7:00 so take advantage of the empty porta johns.
Event warmup:

Get on the bus and rode out to the beach. I still had almost two hours before my wave started, so tried to stay warm as best as I could. Ran into my friend Adam and chatted for a bit. Finally it was my turn to get in the water. Sooo much warmer than the air!! The wasn't really much space to swim to warm up much, so I did the best I could.
Swim
  • 35m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really enjoyed this swim. The wind was blowing slightly against us, but the current was pushing you along so no complaints. This was the first race with my new googles so I was a little nervous, but they held up. I'd heard that the current is stronger the further out you go, and I was suprised that I was almost by myself out there until after the turn buoy. There was minimal contact, which was also quite suprising. I ran into a lot of slower people from waves that started 5-15 minutes before me. I don't consider myself a fast swimmer, but I'm not complaining!!! Just stayed nice and even on the swim and it worked out.
What would you do differently?:

Pee in my wetsuit earlier before I started? ;) Nothing really, I was stoked about how I swam.
Transition 1
  • 07m 13s
Comments:

Climbed up the ladder at the end of the swim and yanked down top part of my wetsuit. Decided to try out the wetsuit strippers, and mine was fantastic. Ran into changing tent and changed into dry tri shorts and top and took off to the bike. I decided before the race if I didn't change out of my wet clothes I'd be miserable on the bike being as skinny as I am.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course is probably one of my favorites that I've raced so far. Racing on I-40 was way cool!! Tried to maintain a nice steady pace as best as I could and drink every 15-20ish minutes and eat every 20-25 minutes. Was passed initially by a few people, but passed a good deal of people as well.

Work more on the bike. This was a PR split for my bike portion of a 70.3, but I know I can do better. Seemed harder to get motivated to take the bike out for a couple of hours when I needed to be job seraching. Should've done more bricks too, but overall it is still progress.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

At the dismount line they had a volunteer that literally stood there and would grab you if you didn't dismount there. My girlfriend said that he caused several people to wreck doing that. Yikes!! Dismounted and handed off my bike. Ran and grabbed my T2 bag and ran to changing areas. Took off my long sleeve shirt, put on my Brooks and race belt, and ran out handing my bag to volunteer.

Try and figure out how to pee on the bike where it doesn't get my socks wet ;) Or change sock. Also stretch my back during the ride so it doesn't get pissed at me running.
Run
  • 1h 59m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling like a champ!! The first two miles there were a bunch of little kids behind the barriers trying to high five people as the ran by. Definately made me smile and high fived all of them running by. There was a slight hill afterwards, but no problems going up. After the first 5K my right foot was tingly and numb feeling, which I assumed was because I had put my timing chip on super tight. At mile five I decided at the halfway point I'd stop and loosen it because it was funny feeling. Got to mile six and bent over to loosen it. AGONY!!! My lower back was not happy. Immediately started freaking, but decided I'd run as best as I could. I got to the turn around point and started taking Coke every aid station and walking a little every mile because it hurt. I should have sucked it up, but easier said after the race than when you're running. Coming back I started choking up a little bit thinking about not being able to even run in March after surgery on my foot. Saw the finish line and made one final push passing an older guy at the end.

Not try and adjust my strap for my chip. Still PRed the run. Only two half marathons I've run have been during a 70.3 race. I guess 13.1 miles isn't hard enough unless I've covered 57.2 miles before ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled and got my finisher's goodies. Grabbed all my equipment, packed up, and drove to my grandparent's house. Wish I could've stayed and watched, but we only had the hotel for the night before.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatiguing and soreness, but then again you're not supposed to feel fresh when you finish.

Event comments:

The race was a lot of fun and I liked everything about it aside from feeling like a popsicle before the race. The course is overall a fairly flat course, but it is still a lot of fun with some beautiful views.

Last updated: 2013-10-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:12 | 2112 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 0/967
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:58:59 | 56 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/13
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:29 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-28 2:23 PM

User image

Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2013-10-28 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4886470

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Great race report, and congratulations on a pretty solid HIM performance!

2013-10-28 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Congratulations! I raced too, and my T1 and bike times are similarly messed up.
2013-10-28 3:16 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Thanks!! I saw you raced REV3 Williamsburg, and I had the same issues with getting my stuff after the race. Jolly Pond Rd was a doozy, but I enjoyed the main stretch on Centerville.
2013-10-28 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Congrats on a solid race!  

You might want to check back on the results/times.  I have no idea if it'll affect you, or not, but they mentioned on Facebook today that they were re-uploading the Live Tracking data and all that stuff.  It does suck that your times got hosed up, though

2013-10-28 4:45 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Yes, check back on your times -- I just checked mine and they're correct now!

2013-10-31 9:54 AM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Yay, updating splits :D
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by mdfahy
Views: 2064 Posts: 3

2011-11-07 1:36 PM RunRene

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1681 Posts: 1

2011-10-30 3:49 PM La Tortuga

Started by t-ray2
Views: 1417 Posts: 2

2010-11-30 11:27 AM kenbert61

Started by ceco911
Views: 2311 Posts: 1

2010-11-18 8:57 PM ceco911

Started by carterbarton1
Views: 1650 Posts: 2

2010-11-15 1:10 PM argylemonkey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.