General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 35m 2s
Overall Rank = 32/800
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/79
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4AM, fixed and ate oatmeal and coffee, then just hung out in the hotel bathroom so as to not wake up the kids and wife. Grabbed my bags and walked out the door at 5:15.

On my way out the hotel lobby to get in the shuttle, was greeted by a blast of frigid air. "Nice", I thought to myself. It's going to be a cold day.

Arrived at T1 and immediately noticed the (nervous?) energy. Everyone was doing something. Some were spectating, some were body marking, some were grabbing Special Needs bags, some were doing this, some that. I went over to my bike and started to get everything set up.

I spent a good 15 mins setting up. I didn't want to forget anything, especially since I was not going to go to the changing tents. I'd do everything next to my bike: dry off, put on long sleeve shirt and then tri top over, add gloves, helmet, glasses, and run out. I figured the changing tents would be a mad house and that the lighting would not be great.

After setting up T1, went over to get body marked, then went to board the buses to the swim start. Boy, those buses were a treat. They were warm and it gave my feet a chance to get some blood back into them. I was wearing socks and $1 flip flops, but the grass was wet I might as been wearing ice blocks on my feet.
Event warmup:

Before the start to the swim, we huddled around the heaters that were placed at strategic locs around parking lot. They felt great....once they were started. They were high up, so feet didn't get any warmth, but at least you could feel the heat on your face and shoulders. Heaven.

10 mins before the race start, I suddenly had the urge to go...really bad. I had to hop in a line that was at least 15 deep and wait. There was a volunteer that was yelling out times and he kept urging us to head to the swim start. I had to go, so I had to stand around and listen to him.

I came out of the portojohn and then had about 3 mins to get to the swim start. I decided to drop my throw-aways right there and then run in. Boy, what a mistake! Halfway down to the beach, I had to return to the throw-away and retrieve my swim cap! I don't need this stress! I then had to sprint back, running on frozen feet that just hurt more and more b/c the sand was even colder! I'm feeling numb...
Swim
  • 1h 09m 56s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Before the horn went off, I tried to make my way to the front a little, but b/c there were 800 athletes, I didn't make it past the first quarter. I stopped when the speakers started to blare Eminem's One Shot.

Man, there's just something about that song. I know...it's overplayed, it's stereotypical, it's blah blah blah. It's awesome. Listen to the words. They're perfect for what we were about to do. The only other song lyrics I can think of that gets it that good is Right Now.

Ran into the water, already far behind the start, and just started to head out towards the middle of the channel. I was going to just try to get out there, swim my best, not overdo it, and get on with my race.

The air was so much colder than the water and every time I came out to breath, my skin felt like it was freezing. Great time to just concentrate on breathing every second or third stroke, right?

I have to say that about a quarter mile into the swim, I absolutely loved it. I could see the swimmers' silhouettes over the rising sun and it was just beautiful. Hundreds of arms coming up out of the water, then entering the water again. So mechanical, yet so graceful.

Saw the big orange buoy, headed towards it, then rounded it and headed towards the finish. I hit it perfectly and then just kept following the other swimmers.

My face kept freezing every time I pulled it out of the water for a breath. "Man, it's COLD!", I thought to myself. This would be a great time to have a snorkel and just swim with your face in the water.

Reached the end and climbed up the ladder. My hand slipped on the ladder and, I splashed back into the water. Ha! Glad there was no one behind me! They'd of gotten a face load of butt.

Notables: Loved seeing the boats, kayakers, and ppl on the docks cheering us on.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I swam as well as I could have and felt great, despite the slack tide. Very happy with this swim.

28th in AG and 143rd OA. For me, not bad. I have slowly moved up from BOP swimmer to a solid MOP.
Transition 1
  • 05m 47s
Comments:

Not my best T1, but I wanted to make sure to dry off well first and foremost. I did that, then put on a long sleeve UA shirt and then my tri top over that. Put on gloves after that, then helmet, sunglasses, and ran out.

T1 could have been much faster, but the weather was something that I did not want to mess with. Glad I took the time to dress the way I did...

Notables: I was one of only a few athletes changing in T1 and not inside the tents. Everyone was watching me, so there was added pressure to not screw up! ha!

Plan out my T1 a little better. Despite being fairly quick overall, I think I left at least a minute out there.

3rd AG and 18th OA.
Bike
  • 5h 30m 15s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Ran out of T1 and did a flying mount. Got up to speed quickly, but noticed the wind was strong and my hands started to get really cold right away. I was glad I spent the extra 2 mins in T1 putting on something to block the wind.

The first 65 miles were brutal. Headwind all the way. I really thought I could average 21 mph for the distance, but new that was not going to happen after the first 20 miles. I just put my head down, monitored my HR, and settled in.

Had one BIG concern at the very start of the bike. Both hamstrings felt like they wanted to cramp...very badly. I pretty much ignored them, though, thinking that they were like that b/c of the cold swim and cool temps. I didn't change my tri shorts, so the very cool air must have been the cause.

Started my nutrition plan immediately. First 30 minutes, start hydration, then after the first 30 mins, alternate Perpetuem tabs and a Hammer gel every 15 mins. This, plus the endurolytes in my water, would give me about 300 cals per hour. It worked PERFECTLY.

The plan was also to drink one bottle of fluid every hour on the bike. I ended up grabbing 3 bottles of water out on the course, never stopping at the aid stations. I was very impressed with my frozen hands for clamping on to those bottles and not dropping them once.

The wind wouldn't stop and the ride was super lonely. As lonely as some as my training rides. At one point, I came up on a 43 year old guy and we played leap frog for a while...He's pass, I'd drop back, and a few minutes later, I'd do the same and he'd drop back. I made sure to remain far enough back that I was not drafting. Race officials drove by us a few times and never even gave us another look b/c we were good.

I was passed by 5 cyclists, I think. I didn't even try to keep them in my sights. Race your own race, I kept telling myself...IM is too long a distance to get caught up in a sprint.

I had to pee 3x on the bike. The first time, I slowed down and just peed off to the side of my bike. The second time, too many ppl around and went into the woods. Same thing on the third. I didn't want to pee on myself b/c it was just too damn cold. 5 seconds of warmth, then hours of cold, peed on tri shorts? No way! I lost a total of about 5 mins there, but it was worth it.

Towards the end, I saw my family and that was a great motivator. I felt great after spending 5.5 hours on the bike. Not the 5:20 I hoped for, but that wind and cold made the ride quite challenging.

One last note...As I prepared to dismount, the volunteers were doing the usual "slow down". I nodded, pulled my leg over the top tube, and did the BEST dismount I've ever done. Stopped on a dime, started running, and was smooth as buttah! Ahhh! That really pumped me up as I ran into T2.

Notables: Great volunteers, strong headwind, very cold temps, pretty ride.

6th AG and 43rd OA.

Very happy with this ride. I rode as best I could in those conditions. I was 15 mins slower than the fastest guy in my AG and 40 mins slower than the top bike split. I'll take it over the 16mph ride I had at my first IM back in 2010!
Transition 2
  • 04m 16s
Comments:

As mentioned, best dismount ever (for me)!

Ran to my bag, changed, hit the bathroom, and was out. Not my usual fast T2, but not bad, either.

Notables: nice to go to a real bathroom vs a portajohn.

8AG and 39th OA.
Run
  • 3h 47m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off the run and immediately tore open my honey stingers. Bike nutrition had been spot on and I knew staying hydrated and eating while I felt good would be key to a good marathon.

At the first aid station, grabbed some bananas and water. Legs felt great and I was really excited to be on the run course. I noticed I was running a little fast, so I reeled in the pace to an 8 min/mi. That took a lot of effort, but slow it down voluntarily now, or slow it down involuntarily later...take your pick. I choose the former.

LOUSKIE started to run next to me about 2 or 3 miles into the run, motivating me and giving me an update on my swim. Since I had bungled the Garmin, he told me I had swam 67 mins, which quite frankly shocked the crap out of me. I was expecting 75 mins, at best! That picked me up a bit and then I was off. Thanks, man!

Kept running and hit the sidewalks and trails going out to the turn around. Nice area, shaded, but very cool under the trees. It actually felt nice at this point, but I knew it'd really start to cool off a little later into the run.

I saw QRKID somewhere out on mile 8 or 9 and didn't recognize him at first. This guy was following my on his tri bike and was asking me questions...Then it hit me! I was so glad to see him and i still felt pretty good at this point.

Ran well until mile 12, keeping that pace throughout. Then, my left knee really started to bug me...My IT band, right at the knee, started to get painful quite quickly. I was not happy with it and stopped for a short time to stretch it out...Then, was on my way again...

If you've never run an IM marathon, one thing it is not is comfortable. I told myself this a few times, then started running again. I changed my gait a little to help with the ITB pain, but it was no use. The best i could do was point my toes inward when I ran and then point my toes down when I ran. It was enough to let me run.

The worst miles were 12-15, I think, then I recovered from the pain a bit and picked up the pace again, slightly. It was torture to run by the finish chute and then have to head out on another loop. Pure torture. I did my best to drown out all those sounds and just plug away.

The second time at the turn around (mile 20.5) was awesome and I started to do a few calculations in my head. I had a chance at a sub 10:30 race IF I maintained a 9 min mile for the last 10K. Well, that didn't happen. My knee just really cost me and then I started to have some cramping. The cramping wasn't major, but it was enough to slow me down.

Saw Louiskie and his family one more time as I headed back and then was alone again. Ah yes, the IM run...You're alone alot.

Finally got to the finish and was greeted by my family and some good friends. Happy times!

Notables: very pretty course, awesome volunteers, awesome crowd support, didn't see the 7 foot alligator out by the lake, family and friend support, knee pain, cold broth, flat cola and orange slices, high fiving kids along route, tuxedo and american flag tri suits.

Not sure. I've never had issues with my right knee, so I wonder if something was tweaked or if it was something else. I finished with quite a bit left in the tank, which was confirmed by my friends and family after the race. Don't get me wrong, I was tired, but not all out tired.

10AG and 45th OA. My goal was a 3:25-3:30, so this is the only part of my race that was kind of a disappointment. I am very happy with my overall race.
Post race
Warm down:

No pizza?! What?! They ran out of pizza...and that's all I wanted! A friend of mine actually went and found a Dominoes kiosk and bought a pizza for me. We hung out for 30 mins and then went to the convention center to get our bikes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My darn knee. WTF?

Event comments:

Great race, despite some of the problems they suffered (timing, ran out of pizza, some issues with athlete bags). Love it and will race it again...someday.

Last updated: 2013-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:09:56 | 3862 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/79
Overall: 179/800
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Point to point swim in Banks Channel.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:30:15 | 112 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/79
Overall: 45/800
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: One long loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:47:11 | 26.2 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/79
Overall: 45/800
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop course. Very scenic and runner friendly. Very mentally challenging to pass the finish line as a full IMer.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-28 8:30 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2013-10-29 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4886778

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Great RR, d00d!

What a day, huh? Start out freezing cold and race all day long...great feeling to look back on an accomplishment like that. Nice..

You clearly had a plan and it looks like execution was dead on. Definitely squared away.

We'll actually catch up at one of these races somewhere in there..Congrats again on your great day.
2013-10-29 12:17 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Well THAT explains why qrkid and I didnt see you at the swim start- we walked down, couldn't find you, walked all the way back to the guy who was yelling for people to head to the start, then headed back down. Pity- we would have loved to have wished you well! Anyway, agree with you on the Lose Yourself song at the start. Yes, tired. Yes, overplayed. YES, motivating and pumps you up perfectly!

Pity about that knee pain. I had the same thing (well, similar) in 2010 when I did it, so share a lot of the thoughts you expressed about it. Sucks! But it is part of the deal I guess. Ironman is a looooong way and things go wrong. I think I get that kind of knee pain on flat courses (White Lake and B2B) and have never had it any other time! I think the repetitiveness of 56/112 miles at the same tempo, and then a mostly flat run just taxes the same system repeatedly. That's my theory at least! Kona is not flat so you don't have to worry about it flaring up when you do that one ;-)

Anyway, you had a very, very strong race. Your swim and bike have come a loooong way since 2010! Just keep plugging away at those and you will see even bigger gains. It was great to see you and the family at the hotel and glad you are not too broken after the race. Take it slow for a bit and enjoy the relative time off...and planning for the next one!
2013-10-29 1:25 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Wow!  Nice work out there.

It makes me feel better about my bike to know that you thought the first 60+ miles sucked, too.... those headwinds were beating me up.

Great job, man... you really worked it!

2013-10-30 6:14 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Camden, NC
Incredible race my friend! It was fun to read and see myself going through some of the same things. Freezing air temps at the start of the swim, but the water was really nice and I thought the same thing about seeing the silhouetted swimmers up ahead and the sun shining. Interesting strategy on the bike transition to not use the changing tent, nice work. Definitely tough headwind for the first half of the race in the cold, couldn't wait to turn back into town and get it on my back! What a great bike you had despite though. Tough run to deal with the ITB, that takes guts. I have had issues with my ITB in the past also, but have changed my stride over the past 8 months to be more a more forefoot and midfoot striker and with barely any heel touch. Lessening the impact with heel striking for me seems to have prevented it from coming back at this point. Passing the finish line 3 times was pretty tough, but I also couldn't wait to get back to the party! Awesome race, you did a great job!

Scott
2013-10-30 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
awesome.
Pity about the knee b/c we all know you can run and your goal would have surely been met if not for the knee pain.
Pretty freakin cool to be out there cheering for you.
As always. It was great to see you and also to see Louis. Look forward to the next one.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by halman
Views: 2274 Posts: 3

2013-11-07 5:42 AM HercDriver

Started by trigirl069
Views: 2086 Posts: 2

2010-11-19 9:24 PM [email protected]

Started by triguy71
Views: 2426 Posts: 3

2010-11-18 11:00 AM alltom1

Started by shermantank
Views: 2328 Posts: 4

2011-10-18 9:08 PM Kanedog

Started by anth
Views: 2438 Posts: 3

2011-10-22 9:33 PM Oldteen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.