World Triathlon Corporation
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 02m 23s
Overall Rank = 270/2219
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/282
Pre-race routine:

What a bittersweet way to end my 1st season in triathlon.

Got up at 4am, ate 2 packets of oatmeal at 445am, ate a banana at 550am and drank 24oz of Perform. Dropped off run bag at T2 then took the bus to T1. Put nutrition on bike, removed tape from wheels (I had taped the rim/spoke holes in my Flo 60s so they didn't fill with water during the overnight storms), put on wetsuit and just waited with friends. Race was delayed by 15 minutes so my new swim start would be 820am.
Event warmup:

Just arm circles and stretching.
Swim
  • 36m 36s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was an in-water wave start with perhaps 115 in my wave (M40-44 was split into 2 waves). I never heard what the official water temps were, but heard guesses of 71-73. I was in the water for 3+ minutes before the start, which helped. Water was calm. I started up front far right to avoid a crowd. Swim went well, I never had any issues with sighting or contact. Buoys were very visible. Might have zig-zagged a bit but overall I felt I went fairly straight. Saw the clock when I got out and calculated 36:xx which I was fine with, given the swim is my weakness.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push harder.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Uphill run to T1, maybe 75 yards. Used a wetsuit stripper along the way. I carried my bike out of T1 because of the grass stickers which have caused flats. I felt T1 was a bit slow but it was my first time dealing with gear bags and I tried to slow down and remember everything.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I had focused on bike fitness since Buffalo Springs, hoping it would benefit my run. Bike started ok though my HR was higher than I wanted (I don’t have a power meter). Then around mile 10 the inexplicable happened.

Coming off a gradual left turn and going ~23mph, something caused my front wheel to veer slightly to the right and I couldn’t correct it. Next thing I know I am off the road into the wet grass, and then I’m on the ground, hard. I haven’t crashed a bike since I last raced them in 2002. Fortunately I fell on the grass, but I felt sharp pain in my left shoulder and left hand. Bike seemed ok, so I collected all my bottles, and then fought to get my chain back on. I got going again only to hear my front brake rubbing. Stopped to fix that, and then heard my chain rubbing. Stopped again to try and fix that but never did, so I just kept going. I quickly realized my left hand was broken (x-rays later confirmed a clean break in the 5th metacarpal). Shoulder hurt but I didn’t think anything was broken (x-rays negative, but did something to the AC joint, don't yet know how serious). Overall it probably cost me 3-4 minutes.

So I rode on adrenaline and anger for a while, thinking things over. The pain was bearable, so I decided to press on, I had not trained all summer to quit. The rough roads didn’t help, but I rode steady and kept all pressure off the outside of my left hand. It was a loooong last 46 miles.

Bike nutrition was one honey Stinger waffle, most of an EFS Liquid Shot flask, ~44oz of Perform and 3 salt stick tabs.

Stay upright. What an embarrassing idiotic mistake. Beyond that, I was happy with my pace although concerned I might have gone too strong due to the adrenaline push.
Transition 2
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

T2 was a bit slow for obvious reasons, but uneventful. I put my bike gear in the bag, then I threw on the sunglasses, race belt and Garmin. I could have peed but didn’t stop, I told myself I would just stop on the course if absolutely necessary (never did).

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 39m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal coming in was a 1:40, to replace the bad memories of the 1:53 at Buffalo Springs. I felt good the 1st lap. The shoulder bothered me more than the hand, but it was bearable. The 2nd lap was a bit slower but still steady in the 7:40-7:50 range. The crowds around the convention center were great. The 3rd lap was very crowded, especially where both running lanes were sharing the single lane of the road. I had to do lots of weaving around people. The hills on that last lap really gassed me but I was happy with how I responded, and I finished strong. I saw the clock and knew I had raced a 5:02:xx.

I'm told the run course might was short, and in fact my Garmin had 12.85. Too bad because the run was my strongest event on the day and my splits show me gaining spots consistently throughout the run.

Run nutrition was 2 hits of EFS Liquid Shot, 1 salt stick tab, and water at most aid stations before switching to Coke on the last lap.

Nothing, was happy with the run. It reinforced my belief that bike fitness is critical for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Visited the med tent for Tylenol and ice for my hand. Ate a bit, but it takes a while for my appetite to return. I left as soon as I could to get home and tend to my hand.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um...bike crash? Outside of that, I had a good race. One stupid mistake cost me my sub-5:00, and will have me in a cast for a while. But it was a PR and I guess I have a story.

Event comments:

Volunteers were great. I felt the race was well organized for the most part. Getting to the venue race morning took much longer than expected. I'm not a big fan of split transitions but it went smoothly. Bike course has some rough roads but it was not as bad as some suggested, or maybe I am just used to TX roads. Run course and indoor finish are spectator friendly.

Last updated: 2013-10-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:36 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 70/282
Overall: 609/2219
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: One triangular loop in Walter E. Long Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:14
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:39:47 | 56 miles | 21.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/282
Overall: 357/2219
Wind: Little
Course: One loop with rollers
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:39:22 | 13.1 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/282
Overall: 269/2219
Performance: Good
Course: 3 loops, almost constant elevation change but nothing steep. About one mile each loop is off-road, through the park. Parts were a bit slick due to the overnight rain.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-10-29 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Austin
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Austin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin

Started by Tyrell
Views: 2758 Posts: 1

2009-10-27 3:56 PM Tyrell

Started by dangitdake
Views: 2944 Posts: 7

2009-11-09 10:13 AM dangitdake

Started by TriMikeP1973
Views: 3418 Posts: 7

2009-10-30 5:02 PM Gawaine79

Started by dgunthert
Views: 3496 Posts: 3

2009-10-30 5:03 PM Bill

Started by dgunthert
Views: 5319 Posts: 16

2008-10-07 4:28 PM jldicarlo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.