General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 01m 29s
Overall Rank = 50/603
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/94
Pre-race routine:

Arrived Thursday in hopes of doing the Friday pre-swim with a group and local. But he ended up in surgery so I bagged it and took another days rest and dealt with the annoyances of registration. Starting with TWO people checking ID's and funneling you to packets. TWO?!!!? for a line the convention center long!
Weather was windy, cold, and cloudy Friday. Bike dropoff was easy, after your packet registration. In the guide I read you could drop T1/T2 bags at bike check, but NO you had to drop T2 bags at the convention center. UGH sO it was register, drive 20 minutes, bike dropoff, drive 20 minutes T2 dropoff, and drive 20 minutes to hotel.
Getting to sleep a little extra time on Saturday was nice. We stayed within walking distance to T1 and the shuttles were rotating fast.
Awake at 6 and I tried a little shake it out routine. Went outside did a couple jogs, couple flights of stairs, and just breathed in the day.
Breakfast (PB honey bagel with cereal and banana, gatorade, HEED, salt cap), hydrate (coconut water), gear up (wearing a wetsuit and sweats is interesting). Walk to T1 for last minute checks.
Event warmup:

Really none. I hung with the family till about 5 minutes till the start. Got in and dunked myself in the "warm" 70 degree water then stood in the North winds up to my waist and FROZE my FACE and hand for the National Anthem. A few dunks to acclimate to the water and tried to feel for a current by floating in place...nothing...great.
Swim
  • 35m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

The local gave me some good pointers about where to be, so did paddleboards that morning. The object was to get deep and catch the "mid-current." So I aimed for a paddleboarder (mind you standing still) about 3/4 way across the inlet. My nav skills were on point for that and it seemed like I didnt really go forward much but instead out to him, oh well, now down the course. I was pretty much alone out there so no drafting or laundry effect. I actually felt like I was moving along pretty well. I had to breathe alot to the left due to the rising sun. This kept me out of the loop though as to how I was progressing or not through the group. Made the turn and what little tidal push we had, was gone. Nothing eventful from the turn to the exit. COOLEST part by far was while running from the ladder to the wetsuit strippers a volunteer grabs me MID STRIDE and opens my neck flap and rips my zipper down! Made for an easy transition to the strippers, I'd never had that happen, and was very thankful for an experienced volunteer to do this seeing as I really couldnt feel my fingers, hands and most of my arms. Getting that strap was going to be difficult. THANK YOU
Oh, no mary lee great white sighting, no bull sharks, no jely fish (except the dead one on the beach), no cabbage heads.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, I pushed hard and had my breathing just about redlining.
Transition 1
  • 06m 34s
Comments:

LOL, for those that have read my reports I shoot for a <60 second transition...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN HERE FOLKS.
You have the docks, the ramp, the path, the showers, the street, the sidewalk the cross street, the sidewalk, then the outside wall of transition, and finally the rows of racks. I was 3 racks from Bike Start. Oh and carrying your wetsuit the whole time. Im now glad the air was 37 because it made my feet NUMB. Empty bag, DRY OFF, long sleeve BLACK shirt on, hlemet on, gloves on, socks on, shoes on, and RUN.

Had bag unpacked like a usual transition, not sure why I didnt.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Mount and navigate the first 5 miles. I didnt flat or lose nutrition (bottle was continually working its way out and I saw multiple bottles scattered about.) Got rolling and before I knew it there was a 10 mile marker, nice! I was flying past the full stragglers. I trained hard in the wind so it wasn't a mental factor for me. Locals and other racers said it was 35-40 miles of a mild headwind. Weather "yesterday" selection had it at 12mph with 17mph gusts. I never came out of big ring, and pushed nearly redline. Made the turn to break from the full course and it got LONELY. I must have been in a gap becuase it took a long time to catch a group and be caught. Last stretch in was nice, you knew you were almost done. I was still nearly redlining and the markers were going by nicely. Seemed like there were markers every 10 miles. The GO RANDOM STRANGER SIGN WAS NICE. Aid station so close to the finish was nice too, kind of topped off my tank. I also had 2 gels and a applesauce pouch in addition to 1/2 the AID station HEED bottle, and 1 bottle of water.

Stick with riders more, not draft but just try to hang on longer.
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Again <60 NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. This was the EPIC FAIL portion of the race IMO. YOu get your bike taken from you, ok I like that. and then you run the length of the convention center while 2 volunteers call uot your number to a GROUP of volunteers retrieving bags. Your T2 bag. I LOVE VOLUNTEERS and if not for them it would be just another trainign day for us racers but... With no collective leader or organization as to WHICH volunteer is going to get the bag you end up calling out your number again and again while staring at volunteer after volunteer, all the while hearing number after number being called out for racers coming into T2. Once I had my bag in the tent, it was all business. Empty bag, stuff bag with helmet, gloves, shirt. Shoes on belt in hand and visor on-GONE!

This is totally out of your control. Nothing once I got my stuff.
Run
  • 1h 36m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Once out of transition I finally got to see my watch. It had been covered by my L/S. I started the mental math and fought with what I could handle.
FLASHBACK: Augusta GA half; started run too fast, maybe on cooked legs, and maybe improper nutrition and had cramps at mile 7 that had me FROZEN on the course. Anderson SC half; injured DNF no run.
So now its on! Im behind, by alot from the sub 5 I wanted, and I have to pee. First mile I run a 9 and change because I used the rent-a-John at the aid station. Mile 2: 7 and change-TOO FAST, slow down!, Mile 3: 7 and change-TOO FAST, slow down. Mile 4; twitching with a 7 and change, UGH. a 44 year old guy passes me and I I think this...embrace the part of the race that is going to hurt, SMILING distracts from cramping, focus on that "rabbit" and just go. We chat from mile 4 to mile 7 and Im feeling better, and we're clipping along at 7:10-7:25 each mile. This is so a bad idea is all I keep thinking. I hit mile 7. The infamous mile 7. I had left 44yo guy and just let her fly, if the wheels were going to come off then so be it. I had a great race going no regrets so FINISH it. 7, 8, 9 no problem. Then a relay guy passes me, then stops, and says he can't feel his foot. Um ok and I say now you know how we feel coming off the bike. He cathes up and says he didnt even do the ride-um duh. Whatever it helped me focus on something else and gave me a little push. Mile 10! 5K to go. I keep doing the math and I know itll be close. I started my watch early, so I wouldnt forget, but how early? Do I have anything more to give ugh!!! Pretty sure mile 11 was a late 6 mile-OMG! Im almost waiting to EXPLODE, but I push on. Heres another "strategy" I was using: I wasnt taking anything on the run, no gels, salt, water HEED, no nothing! I didnt want to slow down, or change what I had going. Mile 12, the downhill (ouch) Mile 13 WHOA twitchy cramp, hobble, stop take ONE breath, RUN!

Nothing I gave it my all today
Post race
Warm down:

I found a set of steps that I put my feet up on for about 10 minutes. Then staggered into the med tent for 30 minutes. thanks Tristan, thank you chicken broth, and thank you heater.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No current, cold, and wind.

Event comments:

Can't change the weather. Would be nice to have consistency between athlete guide and actual day, and meeting. Minor differences, but one cost me over an hour. Athlete meeting...sigh, mostly PR, pat on the back garbage. Other parts very helpful and inspiring. Each one I heard was a different length in time. Ive heard good and bd on post race festivities however I had NO PROBLEMS. Expo merch was EXPENSIVE, and was charged for a finishers sticker. Computer systems also went down, but its now Tuesday and ALL results are up including A/G so kudos to them. This is a great race, If it werent 7 hours from home and often cold Id do it again. Great swim course even without a current, great bike course, and FANTASTIC run course. AMAZING VOLUNTEERS. CONGRATS to ALL!

Last updated: 2013-10-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:56 | 2112 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/94
Overall: 0/603
Performance: Good
Suit: ORCA S3 FULL
Course: From left to right STRAIGHT shot to the LEFT turn double triangle buoys, chicane to the RIGHT aiming for an inflatable wavy man on the docks.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:38:15 | 56 miles | 21.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/94
Wind: Headwind
Course: Pretty lollipop standard with bridges as the only "significant" inclines. The bridges aren't THAT bad. Ok one is because its grated like the other and it has a flat metal plate section with studs, which is also steeper than the other making your speed less. First 5 miles or so are quite full of potholes, turns, and bumps. Nice roads, minimal traffic (except a few short spots), and nice scenery throughout.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:36:35 | 13.1 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/94
Course: Out of the tranisition up to PPD for a quick turnaround back past the convention center on the boardwalk ou to the lake turnaround and finish a few blocks from the convention center. ALL FLAT, minus one hill. GREAT COURSE. 1st time a gator was on the course, dang missed it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-29 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2013-11-01 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4887138

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Nice running! Looks like a great day all the way around but that run split is killer..

Congrats on your day!
2013-11-04 9:30 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Veteran
Thanks so much!! Thought she was gonna blow, guess training and taper were spot on.
2013-11-04 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4887138

User image

Congrats on your time. It was definately a chilly morning out there!!
2013-11-04 4:46 PM
in reply to: franktheguard

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I loved reading the run portion of your report - it was great to be taken along for the ride like that... and what a great way to finish your race, running hard and giving it your all!

Huge congrats to you!!   

2013-11-05 9:59 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Thanks BBG, you should read some of my other reports. I like to give people a full picture, and some are "hysterical". I also read alot of reports in deciding where Im going to race.
Onto read yours now.

2013-11-06 6:04 PM
in reply to: franktheguard

User image

Champion
marietta

awesome job bro! 

2013-11-07 7:48 AM
in reply to: fattyfatfat

User image

Veteran
Thanks to much!
I dont want the 7 hr drive but the swim is supposed to be KILLER FAST next year. and :01:29 burns.
Ahhh what to do next year, lol (aka soreness from B2B is gone)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by mdfahy
Views: 2064 Posts: 3

2011-11-07 1:36 PM RunRene

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1682 Posts: 1

2011-10-30 3:49 PM La Tortuga

Started by t-ray2
Views: 1417 Posts: 2

2010-11-30 11:27 AM kenbert61

Started by ceco911
Views: 2311 Posts: 1

2010-11-18 8:57 PM ceco911

Started by carterbarton1
Views: 1651 Posts: 2

2010-11-15 1:10 PM argylemonkey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.