General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do toenails fall off from running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-30 9:26 AM
in reply to: Tiffanator

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: RE: Why do toenails fall off from running?
Guess I can call myself an ultra runner, my toes look like crap. Even after going up a size.

2013-10-30 10:38 AM
in reply to: Tiffanator

User image

New user
South Central PA
Subject: RE: Why do toenails fall off from running?
Originally posted by Tiffanator

Originally posted by Kenny-A

Originally posted by freer

Some people, such as me, grip with the toes while running which will cause a blister/callous on the end of the toe which pushes the nail off. It's a biomechanical issue that I haven't figured out yet even after losing the same nail at least 10 times. For me, it's always the second toe which is apparently the most common. Check out thegaitguys.tumblr.com/? for their theory of it being runners being tight along the posterior chain (hamstrings, calves, achilles) causing hammertoe which in turn contributes to the problem. YMMV

This is the same problem with me on my right foot. My 2nd toe was always getting blisters until I found gel toe covers. I still get some small blisters on that toe during long runs, but the gel covers have really helped diminish those. I put some lubricant like aquaphor on the trouble spot and then slip on the cover. I also agree that your running shoes should be a bigger size than your normal shoes.

Where might I go about finding these gel toe covers? I've never heard of them, but am dealing with some large blisters on my left big toe. I don't want to replace my shoes because it's only that one toe that has the problem. If I could get a gel cover I'm hoping that would solve my problem and not cost me a pair of shoes that I otherwise like.

I get them at my local grocery store (Wegman's) for under $4 each. I also saw the local Rite Aid pharmacy carries them, but they're more expensive there. Amazon has a similar product to what I get under the name "Vita-gel toe protector".
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do toenails fall off from running? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

how I fell off the wagon, and why I got back on

Started by sawfish99
Views: 1964 Posts: 14

2012-11-27 9:10 PM sawfish99

so my toenail fell off- what next? Pages: 1 2

Started by ried0428
Views: 10016 Posts: 27

2010-05-18 3:37 PM Health_Doc

Badwater UltraMarathon Toenails Falling off?

Started by TeamAngel
Views: 3205 Posts: 12

2009-08-12 1:51 PM moondawg14

You fell off your bike...oh yeah...My head got run over by a truck

Started by GrantGannon
Views: 1036 Posts: 8

2007-05-16 2:25 PM hazmaster

PSA: Don't pull a toenail off Pages: 1 2

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2874 Posts: 26

2007-05-04 11:48 PM teechur
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : February 6, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
Top tips from triathletes on finding your way back to training
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".