General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clydes who ride aero, help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-29 11:48 PM

Subject: clydes who ride aero, help!
I am 6'2 and 270. Big gut too. I've done one sprint and one HIM. I did both these races on my 2006 trek road bike. I want to upgrade to a tri bike. Question is, how do the guys with a gut ride aero without your legs pushing up your gut on each pedal stroke. Hard enough riding 56 miles to be pushing up on a 70 lb gut a couple thousand times! Are your bikes fitted in a way to prevent this? If so, how?
Thanks, Tyler

2013-10-30 12:38 AM
in reply to: respro

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: clydes who ride aero, help!
Originally posted by respro

I am 6'2 and 270. Big gut too. I've done one sprint and one HIM. I did both these races on my 2006 trek road bike. I want to upgrade to a tri bike. Question is, how do the guys with a gut ride aero without your legs pushing up your gut on each pedal stroke. Hard enough riding 56 miles to be pushing up on a 70 lb gut a couple thousand times! Are your bikes fitted in a way to prevent this? If so, how?
Thanks, Tyler

consult a pro-bike fitter
2013-10-30 12:05 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Originally posted by strykergt

Thanks, Tyler

consult a pro-bike fitter

x2 -with the addition of making sure you don't suck in the belly when getting fitted.

When I got fit, not only did it help a lot (but not totally with the knee/thigh to belly) but I did not realize how unrealistically narrow my aero was.
Opening up the width or my arms help me expand my chest to get full air in my lungs.

As I upped my mileage, I also lost 10 lbs... so I don't know how much help the time getting used to the position versus a few less lbs were... either way, a fitted/comfortable aero was a lot better than no aero because I could not maintain an unrealistic position and sitting up.

2013-10-30 12:59 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Thanks, Tyler

Earlier in the year I was 6' 3" and 295. i could hardly get down on the drops on my road bike.

The only solution I had was to ditch the belly. Diaphram compression alone prevented me from getting down into a more streamlined position.

Only now that I ahve lost about 55 lbs can I realy get down on my drops.
2013-10-30 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm 5'-7" with a 46" chest and 29" inseam, not exactly the prototypical triathlete physique in the magazines.  I started out at around 230lb and am now down to about 195lb.  I currently ride a Cannondale CAAD road bike with aerobars.  I'm fairly upright with my seat and aerobar pads set at the same level.  My fitter widened out my elbow pads to make sure I wasn't restricting my breathing and then angled my forearms in so my hands are fairly close together.   My current set-up is very comfortable and I ride in my aerobars about 90% of the time.

I'd like to eventually get a dedicated tri bike, but have wanted to wait until I lost enough weight and upper body mass to enable me to get into a more beneficial aero position.  It's been a couple of years since my last fit, so I'm planning to go in during the off season and try taking out a spacer to lower the front end a bit to see how that feels. 

Some tri bikes are more accomodating to upright aero positions than others.  In particular I've been looking at the Specialized Shiv.   As mentioned in an earlier, post a good fitter can help in both selecting a bike and coming up with a good fit.

Good luck,

Mark

2013-10-30 5:14 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
my question is how fast are you riding now? It might not even make much difference at the moment. If that is the case I rather wait until you can really use it.

2013-10-30 9:10 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

My last race ride was 56 miles. 3:22 course time. Didn't know aero position doesn't help until a certain speed.
2013-10-31 5:47 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by respro My last race ride was 56 miles. 3:22 course time. Didn't know aero position doesn't help until a certain speed.

Improving your aero position helps at any speed.   I think the issue here is that if a rider physically can't get into a reasonable position on the aerobars, then it negates the advantages of buying a tri bike. 

Mark

2013-10-31 9:23 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2013/06/aero-for-slower-riders.html

I been always thinking if you are not going faster than 15 mph you really do not gain benefit. Looks like that assumption is wrong.

I gain weight from being sick for the last 2 years. I not going to ride my tri bike until I get to 250 lbs. until then I am going to stick to the road bike since riding more will do more for me than being uncomfortable in aero or aero like position. I do have 8 months before my next race so I have time.

2013-10-31 3:30 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Sensei
Sin City

You definitely don't want the gut as an obstruction.  That just uses additional energy.  You will have to raise your bars enough to avoid that.  A fitter should be able to help you.  If you are really big, you may just be out of luck until you lose it.  You may just have to sit up.  Even semi aero is better than nothing.

2013-11-02 9:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by respro I am 6'2 and 270. Big gut too. I've done one sprint and one HIM. I did both these races on my 2006 trek road bike. I want to upgrade to a tri bike. Question is, how do the guys with a gut ride aero without your legs pushing up your gut on each pedal stroke. Hard enough riding 56 miles to be pushing up on a 70 lb gut a couple thousand times! Are your bikes fitted in a way to prevent this? If so, how? Thanks, Tyler

I agree with the getting a good bike fit comment.

I'm a clyde that is about your size (an inch taller) and on my QR what we ended up doing was raising the cockpit and putting the seat a little higher than normal. I've got a fairly steep stem and that got me into where i can stay in aero without my knees coming into my chest and it's reasonably comfortable (as aero can every be). His point was that it wasn't the most aero position, but if I can stay in it, it's still better than a traditional road position aerodynamically and if I can stay there that is what is most important and then as I lose weight we can lower the cockpit and adjust the seat more.

My $0.02 worth is that a tall cockpit might be what you need, but a bike fitter can tell you for sure with the rest of the way your body works.

My bike fitter told me that bikes with a longer head tube are easier for guys like us as well as ones with a traditional stem configuration (as opposed to an integrated setup). He told me that QR, Cervelo, and BMC are all good choices (at least they were for me). (I have a BMC TM02 and I'm currently on a QR CD.01 (my current race bike)).

Hope that helps. Just adding on that it can be done!

Good luck!!

Edited by moverby20 2013-11-02 9:15 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clydes who ride aero, help! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Clydes/Athenas, I need your help

Started by Tri.me2010
Views: 2402 Posts: 12

2010-09-22 11:45 AM Tri.me2010

What are clydes riding? Pages: 1 2

Started by cwpeters
Views: 6397 Posts: 34

2010-06-03 10:46 AM Techdiver

Any Clydes or Athenas Riding Kuota K-Factor?

Started by tridork
Views: 2547 Posts: 10

2007-10-30 10:08 PM KathyG

weigh in for clydes and athena

Started by Redfox04
Views: 2014 Posts: 18

2007-11-01 10:24 AM graceful_dave

Clydes/Athena's vs. Age Groups Pages: 1 2 3

Started by mm5093
Views: 4276 Posts: 51

2007-09-22 12:00 AM BigMike80
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.