General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron distance and 70.3 four weeks later. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-30 5:00 AM

User image

Subject: Iron distance and 70.3 four weeks later.
After getting hooked and finishing my first 70.3 recently, with lousy preparation due to some issues, i was looking forward to my first iron distance.
For many, different reasons, i ended up chosing Nagyatad race (ExtremeMan) in Hungary.
Watched it last summer and was really beautiful.
Found a plan to follow and i am willing to put in the time and effort needed.
http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/ironman-workouts/
I am running Athens marathon on November 10th and then, after a week of some rest, i have to start this 36 week plan, on Monday Nov 18th, till race day, on July 26th 2014.

I also registered for the new Budapest 70.3, on August 23rd. It's just 4 weeks after my first iron distance race.
I guess most people would advice me not to. Most likely i will suffer, but i really wanna do both.

So... my question is just about the month between the races.
How long should i rest completely?
When can i start some spins or swims to start preparing again?
You think the momentum from an iron distance training, could be enough to make it through the 70.3 a month later?

John

Edited by Yiannis74 2013-10-30 5:20 AM

2013-10-30 8:06 AM
in reply to: Yiannis74

User image

Subject: RE: Iron distance and 70.3 four weeks later.
It does depend on a lot of variables such as your age, background, fitness, how hard you push on your IM race and your bodies ability to recover.

For me, with six years of endurance sport background and a lifetime of sporting background, I just couldn't recover in time to do a 70.3 four weeks later. There are no fixed times. I do nothing for two weeks and then gently test out how my body feels with some very short and low intensity workouts to see how my body feels. It seems to take me about six weeks before I can put in a decent training session.

I do remember reading once that some people get a fitness 'spike' a few weeks after IM and feel like they're on top of the world as their body enjoys the adaptation benefits of the IM session itself so hopefully that will apply to you.

Everyone's different and this is only one mans experience. I don't think it helps me that I'm over 200lbs so my legs take a hell of a beating during that marathon.
2013-10-30 8:55 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

How long should i rest completely?

Not long.  A few days, maybe.

When can i start some spins or swims to start preparing again?

ASAP.  They can (probably should) be very light to start, but getting moving is often helpful in recovering.

You think the momentum from an iron distance training, could be enough to make it through the 70.3 a month later? 

Make it through?  Sure.  Don't expect it to be much fun if you pushed the IM, though.  But it really depends upon a lot of factors.

2013-10-30 9:50 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

I would be concerned with the mental recovery as much as the physical recovery. I have only done one IM and I was spent mentally for a while. So much that I didn't do much the whole next tri season. I enjoyed basking in my accomplishment and had zero desire to start training again, not to mention being race ready in 1 month.
Good luck.

Andrew
2013-10-30 1:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I did IM Canada 8/27 (2d IM) and then Miami 70.3 10/27 (8th HIM).   I found (at age 46) that I was not fully recovered until at least 4 weeks out, allowing me a little build and then taper into Miami.  Personally, I would not have enjoyed an IM at the 4 week mark.  As it was, I was able to PR at the 8 week mark and felt I went in fairly well rested and trained (although my run mileage was not great).

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-30 1:58 PM
2013-10-30 2:56 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
similar to ChrisM, I did IMMT on 8/18...I monitored my recovery process fairly closely, as this was my second IM.

I started to cycle easy as soon as I got back from the trip, which was about 5 days later. Very easy stuff initially, and then added in some light running.

I'd actually suggest swimming right away if you have a race coming up (I didn't). Swimming is probably the easiest to get back into without damaging yourself in recovery.

My progress was steady and felt pretty good after about 2 weeks. Nothing was "race ready" but still at an easy pace.

I don't think I felt that strong until after 4 weeks, and at the 7 week mark did a 24hr MTB race (but kept it to only 8 laps).

If I had a 70.3 to do after 4 weeks from an IM, I probably would not be completely recovered nor ready to push it hard. I could probably get through it.

Some of my friends that did Kona IM did XTERRA Worlds (Oly off-road) 2 weeks after. Don't ask me how they did it, but they survived.

2013-10-31 3:57 AM

User image

I couldn't imagine i'd get so many answers, covering all my thoughts on the issue.
Thank you very much gentlemen!

Regarding the races, no, i don't intend to push hard either.
It's my first iron distance and i plan to enjoy it. (like it's possible... )
Also the next race, my second 70.3, i do it because it's in a city i love and wanna get the excitement of racing in those streets.

Thank you again very much. And if anyone wants to comment on the training plan i intend to start in 2 weeks, please feel free.
http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/ironman-workouts/

Edited by Yiannis74 2013-10-31 3:58 AM
2013-11-02 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Walk, swim and bike slowly. I couldn't do it. It takes me a full month to recover and another 2-3 weeks to get back up to speed training wise. You should be able to walk 20 miles a week the week after your IM and that will maintain some run fitness without killing your legs.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-11-02 12:54 PM
2014-05-30 1:44 AM

User image

Gents, thank you all for your replies.
It's some time i decided to skip the Iron distance for this year, since i had already registered for the 70.3.
Will try my best at this one, then rest and start after xmas to prepare for my first Iron in June 2015.
Thank you again.
2014-05-30 2:39 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
IF someone here who was there at Kerrville,Texas Half Iron , there was a guy who Redman Full and did KErrville Half a week after anyone remember this dude's name???
2014-05-30 10:27 AM

User image

Miami
I finished my first IM on May 17th this year. The first week after the race was rough, I was able to swim and bike easy, but not running, even at an easy pace. My legs were fine 2-3 days after IMTX, but I fatigued easily on the run and I just didn't feel good.

This second week, I am swimming at a fairly identical effort (still a little less volume, but same intensity) than I was doing before the race. I am also back at cycling at similar intensity, but not volume. I only run once this week (I will be running this weekend too), it was an easy run and I felt great.

So I think that I will be pretty much recovered after a couple of weeks. I am hoping to start ramping up my volume again in all 3 disciplines next week and see how I feel. I think I could complete a 70.3 by week 4, had I registered for one, although I am not sure it will be my best race ever.

However, as many people commented before, recovery is very personal for a very different number of reasons. You can recover fairly quickly, but it may take me longer. I will recommend you to do a HIM 8 to 12 weeks before your IM and see how you feel after that one.

2014-06-01 7:41 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Depends like people are saying. For me, I was a little spent mentally after my IM last year (first one) but a week after that, I signed up for a marathon and therefore I had a goal and something to train for again. Recovery for me was 2-3 days off and then light everything (no intervals at all) for a week or so. I did run 13 miles 6 days after my IM and i did it in pretty good time but I could tell my body was tired but it was more of a mental push for me since I knew I could train again but I just needed to ease into the intensity and find a reason to. My marathon was ~8 weeks away, more than 4 weeks for sure but I still SBR to keep my fitness going. Listen to your heart and make sure wear an HR monitor to make sure you aren't pushing too hard for 1-2 weeks.
2014-06-02 12:41 PM

User image

over a barrier
I've done a few IM's over the years and can tell you I would have zero interest in racing a month later...It takes me at least three weeks to really start hitting previous wko times but mentally, I would have no interest in racing that long that soon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron distance and 70.3 four weeks later. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

70.3's two weeks apart

Started by jjcnbg
Views: 4268 Posts: 13

2010-02-18 7:08 AM popsracer

Iron distance (70.3 and full) road bike vs tri bike time savings

Started by merlin2375
Views: 5166 Posts: 13

2009-07-15 1:43 PM sprotbery

One Week Before My First 70.3

Started by jplefebvre
Views: 1884 Posts: 11

2008-05-05 3:01 PM marmadaddy

3 weeks till FL 70.3

Started by BamaTriGal
Views: 1054 Posts: 7

2007-04-30 1:14 PM BamaTriGal

What's Your Favorite Half Iron or Iron Distance Race

Started by eddie04
Views: 1410 Posts: 4

2006-09-15 8:43 AM us50090
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.