General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prince of Bahrain rolls up to Ironman FL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-03 12:59 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Prince of Bahrain rolls up to Ironman FL
Originally posted by rjrankin83
When I got to T2 at least 1 of the body guards dropped out, he was one beaten man. On the run I didn't see an entourage just the one guy with a cop and camera crew following. I read that one of them quit after the swim.

I'm unsure, how do the actually execute people in Bahrain...

2013-11-03 1:20 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Oysterboy

When I got to T2 at least 1 of the body guards dropped out, he was one beaten man. On the run I didn't see an entourage just the one guy with a cop and camera crew following. I read that one of them quit after the swim.

I'm sorry? Not sure I follow.....
2013-11-03 1:25 PM
in reply to: jhouse4

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Originally posted by jhouse4

Originally posted by taylorz13 It'd be one thing if they showed up and did the race quietly and only wanted to be treated like everyone else. I don't get why WTC CEO is meeting them at the door personally and giving the royal treatment.

Simple answer = $$$$$$$

Cause thanks isn't enough. Money=lots of a$$kissing.
2013-11-03 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

What good is a body guard who can't keep up? Seems like a fireable offense to me.
2013-11-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

What good is a body guard who can't keep up? Seems like a fireable offense to me.

Now I got ya. I'm not sure it was a body guard or one of the princes, honestly I couldn't tell the difference. They had so many I wouldn't be shocked if certain body guards were only supposed to last so long. When I saw one of them running he appeared to be alone (except for the motorbikes)
2013-11-03 4:03 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Veteran
his entourage of spectators were allowed to stand in the middle of the road where the runners ran, because, as the security guy said, "the runners can just run over there instead" -- wanted to be sure the prince saw his family (youngish woman with head wrap, and a couple of guys). this was right as the athletes came out the shot/turn of T2 and were getting started on the run. where normally the athletes had the whole road to get around each other as some runners had trouble getting their running legs, at this point, they got less than half. but the reality is, anyone who has the money to buy the vip pass for family and friends get the same treatment. IMLP had a bunch of kids running around the finish area because their dads were racing and bought them a finish line area pass where they ate, threw the bags on the ground, and did kids things like fight and push each other all right where the finishers were crossing the finish line timing mat. none was the prince of Bahrain (although perhaps one was china's version of a prince). the others were some American business dudes

2013-11-03 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Now I got ya. I'm not sure it was a body guard or one of the princes, honestly I couldn't tell the difference. They had so many I wouldn't be shocked if certain body guards were only supposed to last so long. When I saw one of them running he appeared to be alone (except for the motorbikes)

I see the scenario the opposite. No way any of his guys were supposed to do all three legs with him. Then he wouldn't be as tough, right? Better to have all the bodymen fail to keep up with the great and mighty prince. You don't beat the boss in the sack race at the company picnic. (Unless it's your wife's boss and you are Michael Keaton, then you still take a dive at the last minute.)

Just think the mentality of North Korean leaders, in a completely different culture and context. Megalomaniacs are megalomaniacs wherever they are born.
2013-11-03 5:51 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Champion
MA

A couple photos I took from the run

Love the look on the next to the motorcylce

2013-11-03 6:24 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
(changing the subject back to triathlons from politics)

Nice stride recovery …but suspect he was getting tired by the elbow flare out opposite of the forward foot and the heel strike during the forward motion.
2013-11-03 6:31 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Originally posted by lisac957

I feel like this is an obvious violation of the "no outside assistance" rule... I guess they made an exception?

I was on course and saw them on the run. It was no different than the motorcycles that follow the pros at Kona. If that's not outside assistance, then this wasn't.

I actually thought he was pretty cool. I was around Mile marker 2/11/15/24 (on Surf Road). He waived the first time by (he had a Cop on a motorcycle next to him and a white SUV behind that) and then on his 2nd time by (with only the motorcycle cop), he gave me and many in my group a high 5 as he was walking at the time. He also gave me a thumbs up on his way back with just over a mile to go.

I saw the white SUV later in the day with one of the other ones. In NO way did I see them blocking people or being a nuisance. They all seemed just like anyone else on course.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prince of Bahrain rolls up to Ironman FL Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

IM FL as first Ironman..opinions?

Started by texasgrrl
Views: 1144 Posts: 9

2012-06-15 7:45 PM jcnipper

Ironman 70.3 FL or Ironman 70.3 Eagleman?

Started by drcherrybomb21
Views: 1574 Posts: 8

2011-11-01 12:58 PM drcherrybomb21

Oil spill affecting the FL Ironman??

Started by cafenervosa
Views: 1084 Posts: 2

2010-06-04 3:25 PM Nipper

IronMan FL Registration

Started by Cajuntriguy
Views: 1184 Posts: 9

2009-11-08 7:28 PM metafizx

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1849 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?