General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobic running, hills, V-dot score, oh my!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-31 11:37 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Aerobic running, hills, V-dot score, oh my!!!
So I'm hoping for a little helpful insight here, beyond "run more."

I'm trying to use the off season to improve my run, which is my biggest limiter. I performed a field test for my LTHR, and came up with 191. I warmed up for 10 minutes, then went all out for 30 minutes. Wanted to die. And 191 was my average for the final 20 minutes.

As to the V-Dot score, I used that field test to determine the V-Dot. Which gave me a score of 40 (I did 5.1 miles in the 40 minutes, rounded to 5 miles at 39:20). According to that it said my Easy pace should be 10:11. While I can run that pace at what feels easy, my HR would indicate otherwise. I used the Joe Friel HR zones to determine my zone 2 and have my watch set to blow up when I go over it. It has the top end of my zone 2 at 167.
As an example yesterday I ran 6 miles and pretty much had to walk every mile to keep my HR in Z2, and that was running at a pace of 11 min/mile. Forget trying to run my "easy" pace of 10:11. So that's flat ground. What are the suggestions here? Run slower so I don't have to walk or is walking fine?

Hills are whole nother story. If i want to save time and run out of my house I can't avoid hills. Forget keeping my HR in z2, not going to happen, no matter how slowly I run up them. So the question I have here is, does walking with an HR of 165 still help build my aerobic base or is having to walk a lot hurting my fitness? Its not an ego thing for me, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting any training time. Should I just really avoid hills if I'm trying to build an aerobic base?

Thanks for the inevitable great advice I'm about to receive!!!

2013-10-31 11:55 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-31 12:19 PM
in reply to: tkos

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Aerobic running, hills, V-dot score, oh my!!!

Originally posted by tkos

Remember that goal here is to build your aerobic engine and that means staying in Z2 for easy runs as your body adapts.

Well, not really.  The goal is correct, but you don't need to stay 100% in Z2 in order to do that.  If your HR spikes a little bit on the hills, just roll with it as long as you don't have to waste all your energy to get up it (and don't try to maintain the same pace up the hill either).  Hills are good.  Embrace them.

OP, it is impossible to say exactly since we don't know how valid your test and results are.  I would choose HR or pace and stick with that to start.  Let the other fall where it may (feel free to note the data, as eventually you should be able to use either).  Then, as you run, take an assessment about how you feel.  Are you comfortable?  Can you hold a conversation?  Can you maintain the pace/effort for the duration of your run?  Answering those questions should let you know if the effort/HR/pace are working for you or not.  The main goal is run at a level that creates some stress but, on most days, leaves you feeling like you could do more at the same effort/pace.  And leaves you able to come back and do tomorrow's workout (and the next day, etc.).

2013-10-31 1:15 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Aerobic running, hills, V-dot score, oh my!!!

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by tkos

Remember that goal here is to build your aerobic engine and that means staying in Z2 for easy runs as your body adapts.

Well, not really.  The goal is correct, but you don't need to stay 100% in Z2 in order to do that.  If your HR spikes a little bit on the hills, just roll with it as long as you don't have to waste all your energy to get up it (and don't try to maintain the same pace up the hill either).  Hills are good.  Embrace them.

OP, it is impossible to say exactly since we don't know how valid your test and results are.  I would choose HR or pace and stick with that to start.  Let the other fall where it may (feel free to note the data, as eventually you should be able to use either).  Then, as you run, take an assessment about how you feel.  Are you comfortable?  Can you hold a conversation?  Can you maintain the pace/effort for the duration of your run?  Answering those questions should let you know if the effort/HR/pace are working for you or not.  The main goal is run at a level that creates some stress but, on most days, leaves you feeling like you could do more at the same effort/pace.  And leaves you able to come back and do tomorrow's workout (and the next day, etc.).

I think this is really the key and for a lot of people (including myself) is more difficult than one would think.  It has been my observation (right or wrong) that many if not most people pace their easy runs too fast.  The cumulative effect of running too hard too often can lead to injury and builtup fatigue that prevents or delays you from attaining your long term goals.  I have been so guilty of racing the clock or being too fixated on it.  What really helped me was a challenge where we had to state the purpose of our run before doing it.  By stating and understanding the purpose of the workout you realize that you do not need to necessarily run fast to accomplish the phsyiological adaptation you seek for the session.   Whether you use HR, RPE, or other, it still boils down to what Johnny said.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobic running, hills, V-dot score, oh my!!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hill Running vs Running Stairs?

Started by Karl Hungus
Views: 3614 Posts: 15

2010-07-30 10:39 AM djdavey

Running Stairs vs running hills

Started by Edzell
Views: 13673 Posts: 17

2010-01-27 7:00 AM wee scotty

Noticing hills on bike vs run

Started by Slugger
Views: 847 Posts: 14

2009-07-22 1:18 PM JZig

Running hills vs. flat terrain

Started by cobannero
Views: 4279 Posts: 12

2006-03-29 11:11 PM cobannero

Hills vs. flats run pacing

Started by agaliza
Views: 516 Posts: 6

2005-09-12 3:58 PM jerry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : June 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
Now that I've alleviated the pain and injury, do you think it would be okay to start running on the street/sidewalk/hills again?
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.
date : January 10, 2005
author : mikericci
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle