General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Battle of Waterloo 2014...It's Back!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-31 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Battle of Waterloo 2014...It's Back!!!

Just a quick FYI, the super early bird rate for BOW goes up after today (Oct 31) from $180 to $195 til Dec 31.

A similar race "The Survival of the Shawangunks" in New York sells out in hour or so and now has a lottery.

42 miles in 10 stages and just an overall great event run by great organizers.

http://epicraces.com/?event=battle-of-waterloo-coming-back-in-2014

Guess I have to get back to training more regularly.

2013-10-31 3:17 PM
in reply to: rottieguy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: RE: Battle of Waterloo 2014...It's Back!!!
Registered today myself!!!! For those on the fence, this is as much of a must do/bucket list type event you can have in my opinion. I've done 2 and they have both been some of my favorite days racing. Its surreal to be swimming across your 3rd lake, hours in to an event with your shoes tucked up in your suit. Others may have a different opinion, but I'd say being trained a bit more than for an Oly is enough to get through this. Sure there are elites up front, but even a mid pack age grouper like me had a few racers around me throughout. I hope like crazy they get to the minimum field limit to make this happen.

Steve, did you see the option on IM Athlete to see who registered and how many?
2013-10-31 6:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I was glad to see your name on there as it's always nice to see a familiar face.  The site had only 30 people registered as of this evening.

On Epics site, the female athlete sitting on the dock putting her shoes on, actually works for me and I noticed it this morning when I received the email.  I was texting her today telling her she has to sign up since she's on the site.

Either way it is as you stated a Must Do!  Knowing I'm off that weekend from work and in town makes it a no brainer to sign up early, now I have to train at some point as I've done minimal work since Caseville HIM in July.

If I only do one Tri all of 2014, BOW would be my pick without a doubt!

Looking at the SOS site, between being a lottery and it's $425 entry fee for Shawangunks, compared to $180 for BOW or even the next step of $195 it's a good deal for a very comparable race.

Edited by rottieguy 2013-10-31 6:29 PM
2013-11-01 2:45 PM

User image

I'm registered for 2014 and really looking forward to it - keep signing up, people!

I did BOW in 2012 with very little run training - I had never run farther than a 10k when I did this race. My legs took a beating but it was still totally worth it. An awesome experience!
2013-11-02 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
I need to ignore this thread.
2013-11-05 7:40 AM

This is the race I wanted to do the first year, but frankly I was not that good at swimming. Then I got better and did other races. Then it was gone. I guess I had better jump on it in 2014 in case it's gone again in 2015. I am aging up one group in 2014.

joe

2014-03-05 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I'm scratching Steelhead 70.3 off my calendar this year and heading back to Michigan early so I can do BOW. Looks like an absolute blast! What's everyone's strategies with wetsuits and such? Given the summer time date I can't imagine running with a wetsuit, ala Otilla, but I wonder about something like roka sims? 

2014-03-05 12:12 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Originally posted by thebigb

I'm scratching Steelhead 70.3 off my calendar this year and heading back to Michigan early so I can do BOW. Looks like an absolute blast! What's everyone's strategies with wetsuits and such? Given the summer time date I can't imagine running with a wetsuit, ala Otilla, but I wonder about something like roka sims? 

The two of these I've done have been two of my favorite days racing. As for wetsuits or even skins, I wanted as little on my body as possible and think even the skins would have drove me nuts. I am a mediocre swimmer (heck, I am am less than average triathlete) but found that the combo of tri shorts and a tri top was just right. There are lots of ways to get your shoes across the water; from leaving them on, to towing a dry bag. I found that putting them in a large zippered zip-lock bag a tucking them in the back of my tri top worked best (and could not be accomplished with any sort of wetsuit/skin suit). If you are worried about warmth, after this winter, who the heck knows what temps will be like. But, the last two years this was held, the lake temps were probably high 70s and the gooky shallow second lake may have even been in the 80s.

I'm not to proud to beg, PLEASE sign up and do so soon. There is a minimum field limit for this and I an dying to do it again and registrations are currently around 60.
2014-03-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: AeroBaldness

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by AeroBaldness

The two of these I've done have been two of my favorite days racing. As for wetsuits or even skins, I wanted as little on my body as possible and think even the skins would have drove me nuts. I am a mediocre swimmer (heck, I am am less than average triathlete) but found that the combo of tri shorts and a tri top was just right. There are lots of ways to get your shoes across the water; from leaving them on, to towing a dry bag. I found that putting them in a large zippered zip-lock bag a tucking them in the back of my tri top worked best (and could not be accomplished with any sort of wetsuit/skin suit). If you are worried about warmth, after this winter, who the heck knows what temps will be like. But, the last two years this was held, the lake temps were probably high 70s and the gooky shallow second lake may have even been in the 80s. I'm not to proud to beg, PLEASE sign up and do so soon. There is a minimum field limit for this and I an dying to do it again and registrations are currently around 60.

Cool, thanks. So no wetsuit at all? Guess that makes sense unless the polar freeze never lifts. If that happens I'm staying in Arizona According to the kids over at ST this is going forward this year regardless. I need to wait until Boston is over before I'm going to pull the trigger but provided no issues at Boston, I'll see you at Waterloo come July. 

2014-03-06 9:19 AM

The two of these I've done have been two of my favorite days racing. As for wetsuits or even skins, I wanted as little on my body as possible and think even the skins would have drove me nuts. I am a mediocre swimmer (heck, I am am less than average triathlete) but found that the combo of tri shorts and a tri top was just right. There are lots of ways to get your shoes across the water; from leaving them on, to towing a dry bag. I found that putting them in a large zippered zip-lock bag a tucking them in the back of my tri top worked best (and could not be accomplished with any sort of wetsuit/skin suit). If you are worried about warmth, after this winter, who the heck knows what temps will be like. But, the last two years this was held, the lake temps were probably high 70s and the gooky shallow second lake may have even been in the 80s.

I'm not to proud to beg, PLEASE sign up and do so soon. There is a minimum field limit for this and I an dying to do it again and registrations are currently around 60.

How do you see the number of registrations?
2014-03-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Originally posted by Puppetmaster

How do you see the number of registrations?

Here: https://www.imathlete.com/events/EventParticipantsList.aspx?fEID=174... It popped up when I registered.

2014-04-26 10:23 AM

User image

I think I am going to sign up for this. I've never raced further than a sprint triathlon/half marathon road race. I''m guessing it will take me around 5 hours to finish this race, depending on how hilly it is. What kind of nutrition plan does everyone have? I've never had to work out a plan before (beyond having a few chews/Gatorade on hand for a long run) and I assume that you would rely on on-course nutrition for this one?
2014-04-27 8:11 AM
in reply to: carriecook

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Originally posted by carriecook

I think I am going to sign up for this. I've never raced further than a sprint triathlon/half marathon road race. I''m guessing it will take me around 5 hours to finish this race, depending on how hilly it is. What kind of nutrition plan does everyone have? I've never had to work out a plan before (beyond having a few chews/Gatorade on hand for a long run) and I assume that you would rely on on-course nutrition for this one?

Epic has done a fantastic job of stocking the aid stations for the (2) of these I've done. As I recall, I took a gel before the event and then another coming off the first bike leg. I had both water and HEED on the bike, taking more water than HEED. The first year I did this, I had strange cramping on the first swim in my quads and hips. Taking Endurolytes after that swim eliminated the cramps, so I took a few before the swim my 2nd year. Still felt funky, but it helped. Took my next gel after the second swim and was sick of gels before the final swim so I had some pretzels and grapes. One more gel after the last swim and, in year one they had some Coke which was awesome at that point and Endurolytes both years. I also took water (and more than usual) at every chance it was offered. Something else I'd recommend, is to try and find your "all day" heart rate. One where you feel you could go on for hours without burning out. I have mine in a range of about 5 BPMs and I tried to stay at the low end of this on the runs to make mentally sure I had enough in the tank for the last swim & run.
2014-04-30 11:48 AM

User image

Alright... I am signed up! Eeeek. I've got some work to do!
2014-05-20 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
I received an awesome email re this event early this morning:

Battle of Waterloo WILL take place on July 20, 2014 at 7:30 am.

See you then!
2014-05-20 11:11 AM

User image

Same here! Two months to go!

Is anyone willing to share what kind of training plan they are using, especially if you've done the race before?

Who is going to try to keep their shoes dry and who has already given up on that idea?

Also, is there a time limit on the course?

2014-05-20 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

Same here! Two months to go!

Is anyone willing to share what kind of training plan they are using, especially if you've done the race before?

Who is going to try to keep their shoes dry and who has already given up on that idea?

Also, is there a time limit on the course?

I've done two of these and the method for keeping the shoes dry I've used is to put my shoes in and over sized zip lock zipper bag, soles down side by side and tuck the toes forward in my try top. This was born out of some insane trial and ERROR at Spring Mill pond before the first one I did.
2014-05-20 1:47 PM

User image

Do you stick your shoes up the back of your top or up the front?
2014-05-21 6:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

Do you stick your shoes up the back of your top or up the front?

Back. It creates some drag and they tend to ride up as you can't all of the air our. Oddly, I found this helped my form a bit late in the race. Others just tucked the shoes in the front of their tri-shorts our tied off a dry bag and towed it.
2014-05-22 11:47 AM

User image

OK, thanks. I will try this out in the pool at home if it ever warms up enough to jump in!!

I booked my room at the host hotel yesterday - had a brief moment of panic when I checked online and saw no rooms available, but no problem booking when I called.
2014-05-22 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

OK, thanks. I will try this out in the pool at home if it ever warms up enough to jump in!!

I booked my room at the host hotel yesterday - had a brief moment of panic when I checked online and saw no rooms available, but no problem booking when I called.

Did the Comfort Inn the first year, which was nice as straight line winds blasted the park where the event starts the night before. We camped the 2nd year and it was awesome. GREAT campground and you can't beat waking up a few 100 yards from the starting line.

2014-05-24 12:11 PM

User image

Camping sounds great, too. I'm going to take the easy way out. I understand the hotel is still a bit of a hike from the park.

This morning I did the first 7 legs of the race: run, bike, swim, run, swim, run, swim. It was a total pain as I ran, biked, then drove to the Y and did my swims there, alternating with runs out on the roads. (Not to mention - I think the life guards think I am crazy for hopping in and out so much.) The 7 legs took me 3.5 hours of activity time plus an additional hour!… all that changing in and out of a wet swimsuit really slowed me down. But it also gave my heart rate a chance to drop, and I was glad for that. I am totally wiped right now.
2014-05-25 6:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
For training, I've found the Howell Aquathon: http://howellrecreation.org/Aquathlon.htmlas a GREAT training race. The mile swim is done at 9am and then the Aquathon at 10 am (2K run/half mile swim/2K run. It will give you the "feel" of running after the swim. Its a very chill, yet very well done event. S L O W swimmers like me bring up the rear it both events, but its still a blast.
2014-06-17 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4889368

User image

I am panicking and kind of peeved - just checked the race website again and I see that there are cut off times posted. I am going to be borderline and am not sure why those cut offs were not advertised earlier, before I signed up. I have seen past results with 6+ hour finishers and was gauging my ability to do this race against that. Oh well... I will hope for the best!
2014-06-19 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

I am panicking and kind of peeved - just checked the race website again and I see that there are cut off times posted. I am going to be borderline and am not sure why those cut offs were not advertised earlier, before I signed up. I have seen past results with 6+ hour finishers and was gauging my ability to do this race against that. Oh well... I will hope for the best!

I wouldn't sweat the cut off time too much and I think these have been the same each year. My guess is the primary reason for providing the cut off times to allow for the planning centered around swim course support. That last swim is a straight shot mile, so multiple boats and kayaks are needed and there will likely be almost 2 hours between the first and last swimmer on that lake. Once across, you have to get back to Waterloo Rec somehow, so run to your bike, bike back and do the last trail loop.

I am an analytics geek, so it took a bit of analysis for me to feel more comfortable with my potential time on course and I knew I'd be one of the slower swimmers. I listed each leg on a sheet of lined paper and then set up columns for my possible best, expected and worst time on each leg. The look for the totals in each column help to lower the stress level a bunch.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Battle of Waterloo 2014...It's Back!!! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Battle of Waterloo Roll Call

Started by wellmana
Views: 1977 Posts: 14

2010-08-17 12:58 PM cafeldmann

Battle of Waterloo

Started by knewbike
Views: 1097 Posts: 5

2010-07-14 2:32 PM cafeldmann

Battle of Waterloo??

Started by clarkka7
Views: 1706 Posts: 7

2010-03-28 9:44 AM jeffsab

Battle of Waterloo 10 leg event

Started by Shortyy
Views: 1525 Posts: 10

2009-05-13 4:01 PM xarhelm

Battle of Waterloo

Started by spartn1
Views: 1175 Posts: 6

2009-02-25 8:00 PM spartn1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.
date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?

date : June 4, 2006
author : BodyCheck
comments : 9
Make peace with your speed. A full 85% of the field is done and heading out for brunch by the time my feet hit the finish line.
date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
comments : 1
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
A lot of us don’t spend too much time worrying about stretching and strengthening exercises for our lower back.