United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

i didn't get very much rest due to the talking/laughing/philosophizing with my friend all night. i think maybe 3 hours? and i kept wondering why my throat was starting to hurt - was i talking too much? anyway, woke up at 5:30 ate a nasty PB sandwhich and fought an ever-approaching fever, trying telling myself i'd be ok.
Event warmup:

we didn't really warm up - this was friends' first race and she was in it more for the experience, not to actually race. so we people-watched.
Run
  • 60m 15s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

the run was gorgeous - on a paved trail that ran along a stream. but by the first 1/4 mile my HR was SKYROCKETED and my breathing was all over the place. it was tough to catch my breathe even though our pace was slower than my normal 10k pace, which was a sheer sign that i'm sick. by about 1/2 way, i was beginning to wonder (as i had to take a GIANT leap over a field mouse who ran right under my foot! AH!!I ALMOST SQUISHED IT!!) if this was a good idea. every muscle in my body was aching and by the 4th mile, it felt like each knee was going to EXPLODE with every step. we stopped to walk a couple times but at that point i really just wanted to be done. it was fun to see my friend sprint a little to pass people here and there - i know she's a racer at heart. and we sprinted the last 50 yards and came in just over our estimated time of one hour. i figured that wasn't too bad but i needed to stretch and lay down pretty bad at that point. got back to her house, popped some ibuporfen, felt better than headed back out to my parents' house. picked up the girls and did the "switch" with their dad in parker. after he drove off with them i fell asleep in the parking lot for like 20 minutes. i thought i was going to DIE!!! geeez.... so now i'm home, i've taken a long nap and have refreshed my meds and wonder if i should be icing my knees - they're pretty swolen.
What would you do differently?:

not run when i am sick like that. geez.
Post race
Warm down:

stretching and some serious wandering to find where they had the water stand. drank about 30 liters, ate some oranges and bananas and then took off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

having a fever and sore throat? that along with being a with a friend who just wanted to finish.

Last updated: 2006-07-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:60:15 | 06.2 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: one way towards downtown
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-29 6:49 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: Classic 10K

2006-07-29 7:58 PM
in reply to: #497092

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Classic 10K
Good job on finishing, or even running for that sake, with a fever! You're a better friend than I would've been; I would've bagged it altogether. The swollen knees part seems a bit weird, though, doesn't it? Does that happen with fevers or running? Hmmmm. At least there was enough bounce in them to hurdle that mouse! That was pretty funny.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Classic 10K Rss Feed