General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Customer Service Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-01 10:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Subject: Best Customer Service
Well, I spent my entire year training for a full IM and just finished the race. When you are in the middle of training, especially during key weeks, customer service can be so clutch. There were two companies that went above and beyond to assist me and I wanted to give them a shout out.

Brooks Running
and
Tifosi (sunglasses)

Feel free to share other companies that have really come through for you.

2013-11-01 11:41 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Subject: RE: Best Customer Service
How did they really come through for you??

For me, probably the best I have had to deal with is CycleOps (Saris). I bought a used Joule GPS head unit and quickly found out the battery was useless. Wouldn't charge or hold charge. I called them and told them the situation and asked if I could pay to have it serviced and they sent me a new unit and payed shipping back for teh old one. I couldn't be happier, and now when I get a powermeter I will for sure choose them.
2013-11-02 12:04 AM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
^^^^ Nothing beats Saris, and Quarq is good but they don't go the lengths that Saris will go.
2013-11-02 1:08 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Expert
C-bus

Wheelbuilder.com  When my aerojacket arrived, I was unaware that it was creased during shipping.  I didn't open the box upon arrival because my race was a ways out and I wanted to make sure I didn't lose parts or have my kids play with it.  When I opened it and saw what happened, I tried to put it on, but it made horrible noises and was anything but aero.  Emailed them, sent pics, and they send a replacement out free of charge (b/c it happened during shipping).

RoadID.com  My daughter was put on the wrong bus near the beginning of the school year.  No one knew where she was until the transportation director called me on my cell phone almost 2 hours after school was over!!!!  He found the number on her bracelet.  In addition, her numbers were fading, so when I emailed RoadID to commend them on their product, I mentioned the fading writing and they sent out free replacements as well.  Apparently, that is standard if the writing on the steel plate fades! 

2013-11-02 2:23 AM
in reply to: sungirl919

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Originally posted by sungirl919

RoadID.com  My daughter was put on the wrong bus near the beginning of the school year.  No one knew where she was until the transportation director called me on my cell phone almost 2 hours after school was over!!!!  He found the number on her bracelet.  In addition, her numbers were fading, so when I emailed RoadID to commend them on their product, I mentioned the fading writing and they sent out free replacements as well.  Apparently, that is standard if the writing on the steel plate fades! 

Had a great experience with RoadID just this week.  Ordered an ID tag for my dog as somehow hers keeps falling off and I am afraid she will get the hook caught on something when we are not home.  (BTW, I wear my RoadID 24/7).  Apparently they charged me too much tax.  I did not  notice but 15 minutes after placing my order I got a really funny note from them letting me know and telling me that they corrected it and refunded me the difference. 2 days later got another funny note about my order being shipped.  Have had nothing but great experiences with them.

Garmin is fabulous too

2013-11-02 7:33 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Garmin.

I got a 910xt as a gift last year. This summer I crashed my bike and shattered the screen. They replaced it, no questions asked.

2013-11-02 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4890644

User image

Elite
Challenge AC..... Even.before I signed up I made a mistake with registration and I had about 4 questions and when I emailed them within 30 min they got back to me and fixed my registration error within a business day and followed up with an email and the RD is in.constant contact via FB about race items.
2013-11-02 8:21 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Bradleykd How did they really come through for you??

x2    I'm trying to imagine what type of critical customer service you would be getting from running shoe and sunglass companies.   Fast replacement of broken or defective gear maybe?

Mark

2013-11-02 9:15 AM

User image

Mesa Safes, I had poor cell reception on my end and got disconnected and the Customer Service rep actually called me back within seconds. FWIW I had not given him my phone #.

http://www.mesasafe.com/

2013-11-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Originally posted by crusevegas

Mesa Safes, I had poor cell reception on my end and got disconnected and the Customer Service rep actually called me back within seconds. FWIW I had not given him my phone #.

http://www.mesasafe.com/

My have to look into them... I hate when people steal my GU from my transition bag....
2013-11-02 8:49 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by Bradleykd How did they really come through for you??

x2    I'm trying to imagine what type of critical customer service you would be getting from running shoe and sunglass companies.   Fast replacement of broken or defective gear maybe?

Mark

In the last 5 weeks of my training plan, my Asics were wearing down and so I started to look for a new pair only to realize that Asics no longer made that shoe. Panic attack! So I made the jump to a pair of Brooks but the size 13 I got were a bit too big. So I called Brooks and explained I was in the middle of training and was fearful that the 12.5 might be too small (I had no where to try them on locally). They usually require you to ship the current pair back before shipping you the replacement. They instead shipped the new pair (2-day shipping btw!) and told me I could try them and keep whichever pair I wanted and send the other back. The 12.5 ended up being just perfect. This was so huge for me knowing that my time was limited to find a new pair (especially if the Brooks didn't work out) and to also have a bit of time to break the new pair in. They allowed me to get the perfect fitting pair and they picked up a customer for life!

The sunglasses were a similar situation. My Tifosi glasses are rimless and were cracking from the side screws and I was afraid they would break in the weeks leading up to my IM. They are my only glasses and if I sent them off for replacement, then I would have to find a pair to use in the interim. Tifosi allowed me to send pics and then shipped me (2-day shipping btw!) the replacement.

I was so grateful to both companies for the way they helped me. Not only did they save me money, they saved me time... which is a commodity when training so much!

2013-11-02 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Apple Computers. Just kidding.
2013-11-03 6:10 AM
in reply to: jlruhnke

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-11-03 6:48 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by jlruhnkeGarmin.I got a 910xt as a gift last year. This summer I crashed my bike and shattered the screen. They replaced it, no questions asked.
x2 on garmin. Best company I have ever come in contact with in the tri world. I love my 800 and when water got in it (my fault) they replaced it without issue. Very loyal customer to garmin!

x3 on Garmin. I am fortunate, the repair center is in my city, so I just go to the counter, hand them a unit and they give me a refurb back. They have done it for 4 watches. When my HRM was wonly (soft strap) they replaced it for a hard strap, no problems

Also kudos to Quarq. 7 days before Miami 70.3 the Quarq started dropping power measurements. They immediately helped me diagnose and when they saw they unit needed repair, they offered to overnight a unit to Miami for the race.
2013-11-03 7:03 AM

Melon Presser

I love this thread!

1) Sierra Trading Post.

Ordered my first wetsuit from them; it literally fell apart at the seams during my first race (and had only worn it a couple times before that to practice in it).
- they refunded my money for the broken suit
- they sent me a FREE replacement, which was an upgrade full-sleeve suit since they no longer had the original sleeveless model in stock.

2) Koobi Saddles.

My old Koobi saddle fell apart 10 days before Ironman New Zealand. (I'd forgotten that saddles don't last forever and this was my 3rd IM training cycle on it!) Not only did a real human answer the phone, same real human arranged for the new saddle to go out that day, to be sent to the hotel I was staying at in New Zealand, and they called the hotel to make sure they had the right shipping address and that it would get there in time. This is from the U.S., and it did get there in time!

2013-11-03 8:22 AM

Pro
, New Hampshire
A few companies that I really like and has amazing customer service…

Saris, had a problem with my old power tap that I bought used. They replaced the faulty computer for free (and yes, I was completely honest that it was used). The warranty had expired by just over one month.

Quarq, ordered a Quarq to be installed on my Rotor 3D cranks. Due to weather the shipment there got delayed by 2 days and I was in a time crunch to start with… had a race upcoming and now no crank… I called Quarq to ask them if they could overnight them back to be and I was send them in later to have the Quarq installed. They said they could still get it installed and back to me before the race. They drove to the FedEx office in the morning to pick up the package (saved a few hours instead of waiting for the delivery truck), installed the Quarq, and 3 hours later overnighted them back to me so I had them two days before the race, allowing time to install the magnet BB ring, and set it up with my Garmin. They also included a free T-shirt (which I think they may do in general when you order, but I don't know) with a note to wear it during the warm up for the race! All this without charging anything extra for the work or the shipping! Just a class act company that truly cares about the circumstances.

HED, a friend broke a spoke on his Ardennes. He's put about 15k miles on them over the last couple of year, and he's not the lightest rider (about 185-190lbs) and very strong, so he does torque the wheels quite a bit. He send the wheel in to HED, they replaced all the spokes, trued the wheel, and included a HED t-shirt plus paid for the return shipping. No other charge at all! They felt the spoke shouldn't have snapped, so they decided to replace all of them to be safe.

Rotor. I lost the center cap for my 3D cranks (could be user error), so I called them to order a new one. Since the first one fell out mid-ride, they included two just so I would have one in spare. I also had a problem when I first installed my Q-rings on my Look 496Tri, the front derailleur simply wouldn't shift correctly. Rotor discussed this problem with the engineering department in Spain, has one of the local pro's come in with his 496 to test out some ideas they had and machined a spacer for me to move the derailleur back, creating clearance. They only charged me shipping, which, if I remember correctly came to just over $10…

There's still one company that outshines the rest when it comes to customer service though… Parlee. Their customer service manager, Tom Rodi, is one of the nicest people I have ever dealt with. If you email them a question, you have an answer instantly. I had a problem with a PF30 to Shimano adaptor. The bearings never felt smooth. Parlee sent me a new set of adaptors and everything I needed to install them. No charge. That was my first Parlee, we now have 3 in the family (just building my wifes new dream bike, a Parlee Z5SLi with Campy Super Record EPS).

2013-11-03 10:55 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Pro

Boyd Cycling, where I bought my carbon wheels and later a power tap. It proves you can still get mom-and-pop shop service even on the internet. Cervelo too, for tracking down a bike and getting it to me when they were having the "share the ride sale." There was a lot to that story, and the Cervelo rep put himself in a tough situation to make that deal happen.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Customer Service Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Good customer service

Started by mav
Views: 901 Posts: 5

2010-11-06 2:19 AM californiawill

Great customer service/good quality tshirts!

Started by firstteeth
Views: 655 Posts: 1

2009-06-12 4:32 PM firstteeth

THIS is great customer service!

Started by hangloose
Views: 1068 Posts: 7

2007-09-27 1:52 PM hangloose

Bad Customer Service at Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica

Started by cycosuicide
Views: 2158 Posts: 10

2006-08-26 9:32 AM gailg

Performance Customer Service

Started by Stacers
Views: 834 Posts: 2

2005-05-26 9:01 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.
date : October 5, 2007
Discussion on training and weightloss, what to do if the cafeteria has no good food, sweet tooth problems and the importance of nutrient timing.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : July 3, 2006
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.