General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on best approach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-02 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Advice on best approach
Got my last race of the year next sunday - Rev3 Venice Oly. My training was going along superbly, October was perhaps the best month I have had in my 3+ years of doing triathlon. Last weds I picked up some kind of moderate GI bug (maybe rota or norovirus, don't really know). Felt kinda crappy weds and thursday, finally got to a spin class last night, ran 3 miles (not my best effort) and swam a decent 1K this evening. I feel pretty good now, perhaps a bit more tired than I should but far better than I did a few days ago.

My question is how to approach prep for my race on Sunday. My inclination is to do strong workouts until Weds and taper for Thurs, Fri and Sat. Alternatively, I could start my taper now but seems to me that a week is a bit long as I really don't feel that fatigued just kind of tired from the GI bug. What do you guys think?

2013-11-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Subject: RE: Advice on best approach
If it's been a long season, you're probably not going to add much fitness in a week. If you have been sick, the chance of a relapse goes up with hard workouts. Based on that I'd suggest going easy. Right now, your first priority is getting to the finish line healthy. Keeping loose by some easy runs and shorter bike rides and maintaining feel for the water by continuing to swim is second. Strong workouts seems like it should be low on the list.

Advice worth at least as much as it cost. :-)
2013-11-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: caltrijedi

Veteran
Tennessee
I wouldn't do anything but drink plenty of fluids and rest. Your not going to lose your fitness.
2013-11-03 7:17 AM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by iruptacopula

I wouldn't do anything but drink plenty of fluids and rest. Your not going to lose your fitness.

X2
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on best approach Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Climbing Improvement: Best Approach? Pages: 1 2

Started by BernardDogs
Views: 1865 Posts: 27

2013-05-09 3:57 AM BernardDogs

best training approach to back to back sprint Tri's

Started by dbosanko
Views: 1058 Posts: 4

2011-01-09 4:46 PM dbosanko

Adding swimming into the mix...best approach?

Started by Sharyn5
Views: 990 Posts: 12

2010-04-12 5:58 PM Sharyn5

I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16

Started by newadventures
Views: 1345 Posts: 9

2006-06-08 7:59 PM newadventures

The best swim advice I received was....

Started by JTK
Views: 1149 Posts: 12

2005-09-08 1:45 PM shawn barr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.

date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.