Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Swim Fins and Kickboards
I come from a background of no swim - just started swimming when I got into triathlon several years ago. At that time, my position in the water was TERRIBLE. A friend suggested swimming with a pull buoy to get a feel for what the position should feel like. An entire season later, after swimming ONLY with the buoy or fins to address poor body position, I wasn't much faster and had developed a sick dependency on the tools. I have since weaned myself off (through drills, using a tube around my feet to help correct position and core work) and wish I had never incorporated the tools into my routine. I believe I could have made much more progress without.

That being said - I do use fins (approximately 100y out of a 2500y workout) to warm up my legs and ankles and will start incorporating paddles in the next couple of months or so to get my hand position correct. After such a painful weaning period, there is no way I'm going back to a mostly-tool workout.

2013-11-04 8:56 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by TriMyBest

IMO, these tools, along with others such as pull buoys and snorkels, and drills do tend to be overused by a huge factor.  

Seems to be a lot of consensus on use (or lack of use) of boards and fins from the experienced swimmers who have posted so far.  But I'm curious if we can extend this conversation to discuss use of drills and their quantity, or lack thereof, in a program for mid-pack triathlete swimmers.

2013-11-04 9:43 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

I'm about ready to cut back on the masters group I swim with mainly because the coach likes us to swim with fins for 80% or more of each session. Even though swimming with fins is (obviously) easier I'm just not strong enough in the water at this point to be burning off my swim sessions not swimming straight up freestyle with out fins. I'm not getting any faster really, still stuck between 1:50-2:00/100m (even though I thought I had a major breakthrough a few weeks ago, it was short lived).

I have very powerful legs and am one of the fastest in the pool with fins, and one of the slowest (if not THE slowest) without fins. It's really disappointing to be honest.

FWIW the coach has legit credentials and it doesn't cost me anything. He's got 8 olympians under his belt, a book, runs swim camps and designed the fins we use. I'm just not improving much using fins for such a large amount of my training. And we spend an excessive amount on time on other strokes that, frankly, I just don't care about (backstroke) or suck horribly at (breast). I'll work on improving the ancillary strokes once I have my freestyle locked in. It's also an older hodge podge of guys and they spend ALOT of time bullshitting so a 2hr session is really 50-60 minutes of swimming.
2013-11-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by erik.norgaard The other is body position - which I think actually comes first: A very common problem is sinking legs, and you can't roll well if your legs are being dragged through the water, most of the effort will be wasted trying to move forward. Kick sets are more than just strengthening the kick, they are as much about getting the right body position, engaging the core and getting those legs up in the surface and make a splash - there was a reason I was told to make a splash with the feet. The kick board is great because you can focus on the lower part of the body. Beginners have a lot to pay attention to and separating upper and lower body to focus on one issue can help break things down to smaller elements.

This is the main argument I have heard from some coaches on why one would use some board and/or fins in their workout.  I've been trying fins a little bit recently (at the encouragement of some coaches) and they seem to have helped me a bit (hard to say for certain, of course) for that exact reason.  I don't really have an answer or strong opinion for the OP--and nowhere near the swim experience.  I will say that I think most swim tools can be helpful in the right situation.  But without some direction on their use, they can certainly become crutches which impede progress on the stroke.  I'd probably accept that it's best to use any of them 'too little' rather than 'too much'. 

2013-11-04 10:41 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by k9car363

I hear the argument on almost a daily basis that swim fins will help to improve ankle flexibility. I will concede that may be true, however, targeted stretching exercises will improve flexibility in less time without the danger of developing bad habits.

The argument about ankle flexibility applies to adult beginners only: Adults have lost a lot of flexibility, the older, the worse it is - I have seen swimmers plowing the water with their feet.

It can take a very long time developing flexibility even with stretching exercises. Fins can help gently stretching the ankles and it's gentler than forced static stretching, meaning less risk of injury. Also, fins strengthen the muscles around the ankle which is important too, in particular when you start running. A flexible ankle with little strength may increase the risk of injury such as a twisted ankle.

Beginners should choose small fins that allow them to keep almost normal cadence and not interfere with the stroke. Since kick is coordinated with the stroke, if cadence drops in either, it affects the other which becomes unnatural. If using the kick board this is less of a concern.

I think both fins and kick board have their place as training aids, when used correctly swimmers can experience faster progress. Used incorrectly or excessively they may become a crutch.
2013-11-04 10:57 AM

User image

Here are counterpoints to your thinking about fins and kick boards:

The way I look at all the pieces of equipment that have been developed for swimming is that they are tools that can be used to get at specific issues in a person's stroke that are difficult to address without the use of equipment. The way I look at developing a good freestyle stroke or any stroke in swimming for that matter is that you are first trying to develop a very efficient "kinetic chain." We want the movement of the stroke to be very efficient and do the best to not increase the amount of drag that is already present. Whenever a coach talks about a swimmer having good "feel" for the water this is part of what they are talking about.

I find the use of fins very important in the development of an efficient stroke. We can increase the speed of the person swimming and put them in a better body position (higher on the water, over the stroke) to get to how the stroke should feel. I'm not suggesting that you employ this tactic all the time, but it does have it's value in the development of the stroke and feel for the water. Fins are invaluable when doing a lot of drills. They allow you to focus on the drill and not worry about falling in the water from lack of speed. You can wholly focus on the drill and the technique. Fins are useful for beginning swimmers. It gives them the speed needed to get through some initial workouts, put their bodies in better position to leverage the water and takes pressure off their shoulders when they are first getting started and their technique/conditioning isn't that great.

So fins when employed properly can be a great tool in the development of an efficient stroke, but if used improperly can be a "crutch."

Kick boards have their place in a workout too. When training triathletes, I look at the kick as one of the most underutilized aspects of training for the swim in a triathlon. An efficient kick can provide a lot of stability to the stroke, can effectively and efficiently target the cardiovascular system (kicking consumes 4x more oxygen than swimming alone) and is great for recovery after a long run or ride. While I do train kicking with and without a kick board, I tend to do more kicking with than without. Kick boards when used properly can force a swimmer to get in better body position, engage the core more and develop a better "feel" for the kick. When I have kick sets without the kick board it is on their back. It's easier to practice the down kick and the up kick on your back. I've found that kicking on your stomach puts you in a horrible position. If you have a solid kick, then you have to angle the front part of your body down in the water to get any purchase on your feet when you kick. With a board your body position is more similar to when you are swimming.

You mentioned that you want good rotation. I don't disagree with that statement, however, I tend to look at the body rotation as an effect and not a cause. What is driving the body to rotate? Where is it being driven from? A kick is not going to rotate the body during swimming; it will help to keep it straight and stabilized. You have these two opposing forces working against one another in the kick and stroke. Hopefully you can get them to balance and that's where the real speed and efficiency in swimming can be found.

This is just my opinion and what I've observed through the years that I've been coaching competitive swimmers.

Best regards,

Tim Floyd

2013-11-04 10:58 AM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by aliddle9876

I'm about ready to cut back on the masters group I swim with mainly because the coach likes us to swim with fins for 80% or more of each session. Even though swimming with fins is (obviously) easier I'm just not strong enough in the water at this point to be burning off my swim sessions not swimming straight up freestyle with out fins. I'm not getting any faster really, still stuck between 1:50-2:00/100m (even though I thought I had a major breakthrough a few weeks ago, it was short lived).

I have very powerful legs and am one of the fastest in the pool with fins, and one of the slowest (if not THE slowest) without fins. It's really disappointing to be honest.

FWIW the coach has legit credentials and it doesn't cost me anything. He's got 8 olympians under his belt, a book, runs swim camps and designed the fins we use. I'm just not improving much using fins for such a large amount of my training. And we spend an excessive amount on time on other strokes that, frankly, I just don't care about (backstroke) or suck horribly at (breast). I'll work on improving the ancillary strokes once I have my freestyle locked in. It's also an older hodge podge of guys and they spend ALOT of time bullshitting so a 2hr session is really 50-60 minutes of swimming.

"designed the fins we use"

This is why- he is concerned about selling his product, not about how you swim.

If you are swimming 1:50-2:00 100m and have one of the strongest kicks in the group, it sounds like you have relatively slow masters group. This coach is not doing you any favors having you swim with fins like that.
2013-11-04 4:26 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Good thread and I find it interesting that with the OPs experience in swimming he is getting little to no counterpoint. While in the past. "what kinds of fins/paddles should I get, etc" types of threads with someone trying to counter that you don't need any get ignored and sometimes even ridiculed.

I won't say I never use or recommend pool toys, but it's rare, it's the exception. It's only in the case where I have tried everything under the sun to help an athlete learn feel or experience something that just isn't "clicking" for whatever reason.

If a swimmer comes to my masters wtih some "different" background and INSISTS on using a pull bouy or kickboard or whatever...first I"ll ask why. If it's reasonable (it's usually not) I'll just let them know the intention of the set. I'd rather keep a swimmer that I can continue interacting with and wean them of the toys.

When I do use toys in masters it's usually to reduce the cogntive load for a break and let them have fun, and we use things like little squeaky animals, a 2lb vinyl ball, a pullbouy used as a 1 handed kickboard (that one can easily cause injury and easily be done wrong, but basically I use it to engage the catch...so the pull bouy is very deep in the water. It's an isometric contraction of the lats/pecs/biceps combination needed to initiate the catch. So if someone is doing that wrong I change up the drill. When done well it really activates the correct muscles adn forces the swimmer to over eggagerate teh front lean they need to get into good body position because you need to force the pull bouy to submerge in front of you.

Anyway like I said, that drill happens about 2 x a year and only when I can closely watch people adn give immediate feedback.

Fins can be used to help teach body rotation, but mostly for people who have been using kickboards to learn to kcik and have no concept of how the body rotates. A fin increases the surface area to make rotation more likely...but it can still be done wrong. 1 legged fin is also a decent drill to teach the connection of kick to rotation, as it is only happening on 1 side of the body

My toy lenghts are usually limited to 25 or 50yd at a time with at least 2-4 times as much swimming full stroke in between. Feel something new then immediately implement that in the stroke.

Far and away I use no toys except a tempo trainer for > 99.9% of my own swimming and that of my swimmers.

2013-11-04 4:32 PM
in reply to: snappingt

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
A kick is not going to rotate the body during swimming; it will help to keep it straight and stabilized.

It can do either or both. You can force the body to stay stabilized and the kick is then only propulsive. or you can use the kick as an anchor and leveraging point in the water allowing the body to rotate around the long axis. or you can alternately do both as in a well timed 6 beat kick.

For triathletes, kicking is such an inefficient way to move forward that it's better to each the kick as a rotational aid and use balance and pressure and spearing/ catching technique to create front to back balance. This frees up the kick to be more useful as a full body compliment to right half/left half streamlining and rotation, alternating right side streamline with left side streamline. That's the way I teach it. (Doesn't mean every one else needs to do so)
2013-11-04 4:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Having read this thread............why does my kid's club team use kick boards, fins, paddles, and even drag chutes?  Granted, it's a small percentage of their overall workouts every week....but they drill each workout.  Are they more useful if you already have decent technique or what is the deal?  They send alot of kids to Jr. Nationals every year,  and a couple of their kids have Olympic trial cuts before age 16,  so it's not like they don't have a fast group of kids.......that have been built with that regimen.  One of the reasons I saw here was because they have too many kids for one coach and it's easier on the coach.  I haven't seen that.....this team gets a ton of instruction, including monthly underwater video, etc.

I'm asking.....I could write what I know about swim training on a matchbook cover.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-11-04 4:45 PM
2013-11-04 4:34 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by aliddle9876

Regarding the olympians...did he use the same techniques to train them ane are you in the same place they were when they arrived in his coaching circle?

2013-11-04 7:59 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Originally posted by Left Brain

Having read this thread............why does my kid's club team use kick boards, fins, paddles, and even drag chutes?  Granted, it's a small percentage of their overall workouts every week....but they drill each workout.  Are they more useful if you already have decent technique or what is the deal?  They send alot of kids to Jr. Nationals every year,  and a couple of their kids have Olympic trial cuts before age 16,  so it's not like they don't have a fast group of kids.......that have been built with that regimen.  One of the reasons I saw here was because they have too many kids for one coach and it's easier on the coach.  I haven't seen that.....this team gets a ton of instruction, including monthly underwater video, etc.

I'm asking.....I could write what I know about swim training on a matchbook cover.

I think it's done to keep the kids interested. It's fun to play with the toys. At least that's how it is for my daughter's team...but we don't have any Olympians. Maybe we're all playing too much.
2013-11-04 8:18 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

In reading all the posts, I want to clarify my original post.  When I said that swim fins have no place in a workout and kickboards have marginal use at best, I was thinking advanced swimmers.  Sorry, I should have make that more clear.  I will define advanced swimmer as a swimmer that can easily complete a 4-5,000 yard/meter workout at least 3-4 times a week.  I will further make the assumption that the swimmer that can complete workouts at that level will likely have reasonable stroke mechanics.  I was not referring to the novice or beginning swimmer.  For the novice, or for the absolute beginner, I say whatever works.

Erik and Tim, both of you have excellent counter points.  I am wondering if your opinion may change a bit if we are talking about an advanced swimmer?

2013-11-04 8:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Since I have never seen your kid's team, I am going to speculate a little bit.

Back when I was swimming, our team was divided into 4 training teams.  12 and under, 13-17, seniors, and national.  Obviously there was a significant difference in experience and expertise as you moved though the various training teams.  The 12 and under team often used kickboards, during workouts.  We didn't have swim fins back in those days, in fact, when I first started swimming, we didn't even have goggles.  The 13-17 team used kickboards, although much less frequently, as well as paddles and pull bands.  The senior team rarely used kickboards, used paddles and pull bands on a fairly regular basis.  The national team used kickboards MAYBE once a month, and used paddles/pull bands at the beginning of the short or long course season or during taper before the respective National Championships.

The younger, newer kids used the training aids frequently while the older and/or more experienced swimmers used the training aids much less.  On your kids team, there may be a lot of training aids because there is a wide range of experience in the pool at any given workout.  Just throwing that out there.  I know that many of the larger teams today are sub-divided in a similar way to the team that I was on back in the day, however, as I said, I don't know how your kids team is setup nor do I know what your kid's coaches training philosophy is.  For the record, I am not saying that using those aids is necessarily wrong.  My concern is that the use of those aids without proper guidance can easily lead to degradation of stroke mechanics.

2013-11-04 8:58 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by GoFaster

IMO, these tools, along with others such as pull buoys and snorkels, and drills do tend to be overused by a huge factor.  

Seems to be a lot of consensus on use (or lack of use) of boards and fins from the experienced swimmers who have posted so far.  But I'm curious if we can extend this conversation to discuss use of drills and their quantity, or lack thereof, in a program for mid-pack triathlete swimmers.

Neil,

I am probably not the person to ask about drills.  Back when I was swimming, we didn't do drills per se.  Occasionally we would use paddles and pull bands, but that was RARE.  We swam, lap upon endless lap.  When we were done, we swam some more.  I was fortunate to swim under a gentleman who is arguably one of the greatest swimming coaches that has ever walked a pool deck.  He was an absolute stickler for PERFECT stroke mechanics and had a special talent for imparting his knowledge to those of us privileged enough to call him our coach.

I know in the years since I retired there has been a movement towards an increasing number of drills; another one of the things I don't completely understand.  Perhaps some of the other active coaches here would be better at answering the question.  My personal opinion, for what it is worth, you need to put in the yards, plain and simple.

2013-11-04 9:27 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by GoFaster

Neil,

I am probably not the person to ask about drills.  Back when I was swimming, we didn't do drills per se.  Occasionally we would use paddles and pull bands, but that was RARE.  We swam, lap upon endless lap.  When we were done, we swam some more.  I was fortunate to swim under a gentleman who is arguably one of the greatest swimming coaches that has ever walked a pool deck.  He was an absolute stickler for PERFECT stroke mechanics and had a special talent for imparting his knowledge to those of us privileged enough to call him our coach.

I know in the years since I retired there has been a movement towards an increasing number of drills; another one of the things I don't completely understand.  Perhaps some of the other active coaches here would be better at answering the question.  My personal opinion, for what it is worth, you need to put in the yards, plain and simple.

I'm still in close contact with my first swim coach from mumblemumble years ago. Most of the time we live in the same city, and me and my siblings are also still really close to his kids (one of whom lives here too).

A bunch of stuff from "back in the day" has changed, been replaced by (a variety of) different training methods/approaches/etc. that are more effective. Some stuff has been demonstrated to be downright harmful and abandoned. A lot more distinction has been placed between sprinting and distance swimming especially now with open water swimming and triathlon becoming more popular.

That said, there's a bunch of stuff that, way back then, either was also common practice or a few key individuals really advocated it, that has stood the test of time. Sounds like your coach was one of those guys with a lot of those fundamentals.

1. I want to know more

2. I'm mulling over in my mind where kickboards and fins (and what type and how, perhaps) fit into this continuum. More from Sheila Taormina's perspective later and I'll come back with what some SwimSmooth coaches have to say about it.

2013-11-04 9:35 PM

User image

Pro

Back when I was swimming, our team was divided into 4 training teams.  12 and under, 13-17, seniors, and national.  Obviously there was a significant difference in experience and expertise as you moved though the various training teams.  The 12 and under team often used kickboards, during workouts.  We didn't have swim fins back in those days, in fact, when I first started swimming, we didn't even have goggles.  The 13-17 team used kickboards, although much less frequently, as well as paddles and pull bands.  The senior team rarely used kickboards, used paddles and pull bands on a fairly regular basis.  The national team used kickboards MAYBE once a month, and used paddles/pull bands at the beginning of the short or long course season or during taper before the respective National Championships.

The younger, newer kids used the training aids frequently while the older and/or more experienced swimmers used the training aids much less.  On your kids team, there may be a lot of training aids because there is a wide range of experience in the pool at any given workout.  Just throwing that out there.  I know that many of the larger teams today are sub-divided in a similar way to the team that I was on back in the day, however, as I said, I don't know how your kids team is setup nor do I know what your kid's coaches training philosophy is.  For the record, I am not saying that using those aids is necessarily wrong.  My concern is that the use of those aids without proper guidance can easily lead to degradation of stroke mechanics.

Great....now you've got me wanting to ask the coach about it...something I NEVER do because I leave the swim coaching to the swim coach....but now I'm curious.  

My kid's team is set up basically like you said, except tat they have a National Prep squad in addition to a National squad.  The National kids all have AAA and AAAA times and, like I said, a couple of kids with Olympic trial cuts.  My son swims on the National prep squad which consists of kids with AA times and a few AAA times.  Those groups are coached by a former world record holder from the 80's who was on the Olympic team that didn't go to Moscow because of the boycott. He has built this team from scratch 10 years ago to a top tier club....and was hired away from another club that he built the same way.

Check this out......tonight both groups swam together.  Out of the 6500 yard workout, 3500 were with fins, paddles, or kick boards......I counted.  I asked my son about it and he said, "we're in a speed phase".....but I'm pretty sure he's just making crap up because he knows I don't have a clue.....but those kids were swimming some smoking fast sets when they had fins on.  Like you said, these kids are swimming 7-9 sessions per week and usually anywhere from 40-50,000 yards per week. Like I said before, I see them use "toys" every practice that I watch.....but tonight, ironically, more than half the workout was with fins, boards, or paddles.

Now I've got to know what their theory is compared to yours.

2013-11-04 11:09 PM

User image

2013-11-04 11:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
My squad was more like your sons 20-35% of total volumes. Most distance sets were 40-50% pull.
2013-11-05 12:26 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to this thread, I have found it interesting and helpful.

I swam a lot as a kid but was never very good, just good enough to keep going every day and keep up with the slow lane, but I was OK with that, swimming was my quiet thinking time and kept me sane. I do remember using fins and kickboards a lot, like everyday. But the thing that I remember the most is our coach mainly using kickboards to throw at us to get our attention (he was a fairly good shot too).

Anyway your points of view have made me think about some things that I maybe need to look at more closely if I ever want to get my 100m time to improve.
2013-11-05 4:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

Erik and Tim, both of you have excellent counter points.  I am wondering if your opinion may change a bit if we are talking about an advanced swimmer?

Yes, both focus and volume of kick sets should be accommodated to the level of the swimmer:

Beginners: Kick board only. Focus on body position, kicking with straight legs and ankles, making a splash when kicking, high cadence. Relatively high volume kick sets, as much as 30% of time - or even more. Beginners have multiple problems with both body position, upper body roll, breathing and coordinating stroke and kick. Things need to be broken down into smaller components that will allow the swimmer to focus on fewer aspects, then combined to a basic stroke. Beginners will also do one arm drills with the kick board to practice lateral breathing.

Intermediate: Kick board and fins, sets may use either kick board or fins or both. Swimmers should use small swim fins, that will allow them to keep a high cadence. Focus on body position and strengthening the kick while maintaining cadence. This should strengthen the muscles around the ankle and improve flexibility. Lower volume kick sets, maybe 20% of time. Intermediates have the basics under control, stroke/kick is coordinated in a 2-beat kick, but both body position and roll still need improvement and they still need to build core strength for better body position. The stroke and catch leaves much room for improvement and will take the focus of most of the workout. Intermediate swimmers may be introduced to bilateral breathing and practice their weak side to improve symmetry in the stroke.

Advanced: Kick board and fins, kick board is optional and swimmers should be able to swim with arms straight above their heads in stream line position. Fins may be larger than the intermediate swimmers', but size should always allow the swimmer to maintain the cadence. Kick set focus is on building strength efficiently and kick sets will almost always make use of fins. Fins may be used while doing normal stroke, one-arm drills or other drills. Kick drills may also introduce the swimmer to 6-beat kick, this should be without fins to allow high cadence. Lowest volume kick sets, maybe 10% of time or even less. The advanced swimmer will focus much more on upper body strength and on improving stroke and catch. But the kick should not be forgotten, or the swimmer will tend to have the legs as dragging dead weight.

BR

2013-11-05 7:46 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

I dont own swim fins and I only use the kick board for a brief drill each session to let my legs do all the work for a while.

As triathletes, we are primarily interested in freestyle. In my opinion, body roll is the single most important aspect of the freestyle stroke, and the timing of the kick is crucial to proper body roll.

This is what I am much more interested in.

Do you have any tips or clear drills that help improve roll and timing of the kick?

Are one arm drills the key for roll improvment?

I made a big break through the other day by slowing my kick down a lot for endurance crawl sessions. But I hate the idea I am kicking against my own roll.
2013-11-05 8:48 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Great....now you've got me wanting to ask the coach about it...something I NEVER do because I leave the swim coaching to the swim coach....but now I'm curious.  

My kid's team is set up basically like you said, except tat they have a National Prep squad in addition to a National squad.  The National kids all have AAA and AAAA times and, like I said, a couple of kids with Olympic trial cuts.  My son swims on the National prep squad which consists of kids with AA times and a few AAA times.  Those groups are coached by a former world record holder from the 80's who was on the Olympic team that didn't go to Moscow because of the boycott. He has built this team from scratch 10 years ago to a top tier club....and was hired away from another club that he built the same way.

Check this out......tonight both groups swam together.  Out of the 6500 yard workout, 3500 were with fins, paddles, or kick boards......I counted.  I asked my son about it and he said, "we're in a speed phase".....but I'm pretty sure he's just making crap up because he knows I don't have a clue.....but those kids were swimming some smoking fast sets when they had fins on.  Like you said, these kids are swimming 7-9 sessions per week and usually anywhere from 40-50,000 yards per week. Like I said before, I see them use "toys" every practice that I watch.....but tonight, ironically, more than half the workout was with fins, boards, or paddles.

When I was a competitive swimmer swim fins did not exsist. After thinking about more, I can see some advantage using them for a competitive swimmer.

When swimming fast (not triathlon fast, I mean fast) you have what we always called getting on top of the water. The faster you go the greater your ability to "plane" or get on top of the water; when you are there your stroke changes. It's small but there is a different feel. This is where competitive swimmers will be when they are racing, however they will spend only a small percentage of their practice time at this speed. I can see the fins as a tool for them to spend more practice time at this speed and refine(get used to the different feel) their stroke.

I still do not see a use for it in the training of long distance swimmers or triathletes.
2013-11-05 9:11 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mike761

When I was a competitive swimmer swim fins did not exsist. After thinking about more, I can see some advantage using them for a competitive swimmer. When swimming fast (not triathlon fast, I mean fast) you have what we always called getting on top of the water. The faster you go the greater your ability to "plane" or get on top of the water; when you are there your stroke changes. It's small but there is a different feel. This is where competitive swimmers will be when they are racing, however they will spend only a small percentage of their practice time at this speed. I can see the fins as a tool for them to spend more practice time at this speed and refine(get used to the different feel) their stroke. I still do not see a use for it in the training of long distance swimmers or triathletes.

Now that makes sense to me.  Alot of those kids were hitting the wall in :45 - :48 seconds for 100 in freestlye and :48 - :52 for butterfly using fins.  The intervals were 1:00 for freestlye and 1:05 fot butterfly.  They were also doing underwater butterfly kicks the length of the pool....and looked like dolphins.  I have never seen them using fins for long distance work....it's all speed work. 

2013-11-05 10:34 AM

User image

I never use them. Speedo and goggles only for me. I am not an expert, just a mediocre (2m/100M ave. freestyle pace) 56 year old. I only swim about 6,000 M per week on average, to leave time for bike and run. I have always hated the kickboard (I go nowhere), and especially with a wetsuit on, my triathlon swims don't involve much kicking, so I got over the guilt of having a weak kick (for propulsion). Not sure what all this means to some of you "real athletes" out there - for whom I really do have a lot of respect - but life is short, and the simpler I can make things the better. Now I gotta go grab my speedo, goggles and towel, and head to the pool for my lunchtime swim!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Fins and Kickboards Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

To Fin or not to Fin, that is the question

Started by tuwood
Views: 1901 Posts: 22

2012-03-10 7:51 PM sand101

Swimming Fins

Started by DRM
Views: 733 Posts: 5

2005-12-28 6:12 AM karris

Which swim fin to buy?

Started by jcabanti
Views: 630 Posts: 3

2004-09-06 11:57 PM skavoovie

Swim fins for training?

Started by umbach
Views: 1757 Posts: 12

2004-02-14 11:33 PM evrunning

fins for swim drills

Started by cameronw
Views: 1287 Posts: 15

2004-01-19 5:33 AM cameronw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 4, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 0
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.

date : December 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on swimming faster, sinking during the shark fin drill, benefit of a wetsuit and breathing exercises to help swimming.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the regular kickboard kick.

date : January 22, 2009
comments : 1
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re adding in a bit of sprinting/anaerobic work.
date : February 11, 2008
comments : 1
I am still pretty weak in the water and have a pair of Zoomers that I use for drills. What do you think of wearing fins to swim in the pool until I build up endurance?

date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : September 4, 2006
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.

date : August 31, 2004
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.