General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Los Cabos Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-03 8:01 AM

User image

Subject: Los Cabos Ironman
Hi everyone,

I am looking at the race season and as I went through the Ironman website I noticed the Los Cabos Ironman is right in the middle of my two week Spring Break. Plane fares are reasonable from Europe during that time and I am thinking about entering it. I am a little worried because it is so early in the season that I will not have much training under my belt. Being in Switzerland I have only swum in lakes and never in an ocean and have really never done any swimming in one (aside from splashing around in it on vacations.) Also I have never gone by plane to a triathlon and am somewhat nervous by the logistics and cost.

Has anyone out there done this event before? If so I would love to hear about it and any advice that you have regarding my concerns would be great.

Thanks

Paul Fomalont

2013-11-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: pfomalont

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Los Cabos Ironman
Haven't done it, but I think if you find some race reports you'll see that the bike course, combined with the weather, made for a significant challenge. Enough so that they changed the bike course for this year. To me, still looks like a lot of climbing on the bike if I'm reading the elevation correctly. Its likely a non-wetsuit swim, I believe, but the salt water gives extra buoyancy, making up for that a little. You are correct that the early season makes it a challenge, both from getting the training in and acclimating to a pretty dramatically different climate.

On another note, I've been to Cabo for vacation, and loved it, so it would definitely be a race I'd consider. But, like all IMs, be ready for the challenge.
2013-11-06 2:53 PM

User image

Couldn't resist. The air fare was cheap and I am intrigued by starting my season with an Ironman. So I signed up for it. I think that it is the ultimate spring training. I am going to do the Beginner 20 week Training program and start 10.Novemebr. Anyone else out there going to Los Cabos? Excited can't wait for 30.March! Really want to have a good season.
2013-11-07 11:36 AM

User image

Los Cabos is a great destination for an Ironman. It will be the exact opposite of everything you are familiar with in Switzerland: swim in an ocean vs lake, bike and run legs will be flat, and completely different culture, but isn't that what makes traveling to these events fun! Good luck in your winter training and March race.
2013-11-07 3:49 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Paul,

I raced it last year and it was by far the best run IM I have ever done. Yes, the course was hard, but beautiful.

Swim: Wetsuit legal and a single loop in a protected bay. Get good at sighting long distances because it will help during the 1500m straight section. I also sighted on the finisher banner vs the buoy which saved me about 200m.

Bike: We had a harder course so they changed it to a 3 loop course. The hills are biters and be good a monitoring your efforts. Lots of climbing but road surface is decent. They close off the entire side of the hwy, so no worry about traffic.

Run: Flat flat flat. The aid stations were every 1k and fully stocked. I had 2 of the water bags already and they were trying to give me a 3rd. I asked for a gel and they chased me down with 3 different options. I found it mentally beneficial to break the run down into 4ish mile segments.

Weather: Wind should not be much of a problem since they are just going along the coast now. But the heat will get you if you're not careful. It was 90 degrees on race day and towards the end, you could feel it.

Like I said, this was the best run IM I have done and I've done several including some WC races. It was also my first trip to Mexico and I was impressed with the people and the area.

Overall: Great race.
2013-11-07 4:42 PM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Hi Dan,

I am really psyched now from your description of the event. The only worry thing is the 90 degree weather, especially since I will be coming from the cold. I am surprised that it is wetsuit legal with such warm temps but glad. Hopefully that doesn't change this year. Great advice on the swim sighting. I have such a hard time keeping my line swimming that saving 200 meters might make up for the 1000 meters I add on with my erratic course.

Thanks for all of the information,

Sincerely,

Paul

2014-03-05 12:49 PM

User image

We're getting really close now! Are the nerves setting in yet? They certainly are for me . I've been looking at the water temperatures in Cabo currently, and depending on where you look, they are between 73 and 75F. Anyone think this this could drift up into the non-wetsuit legal category? I hope not, and am trying to will the water temperatures to come down slightly so I can rest comfortably that I won't have that added anxiety. From everything I've seen it is already above the averages, so hopefully some cold currents can drift a little farther South... Good luck to all who are racing this year!
2014-03-06 10:27 AM
in reply to: adamchill

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Wow...sure hope the water temp stays at or below the wetsuit legal level!

We may all need to dump ice into the ocean to cool it off!

23 days left!
2014-03-13 6:58 AM
in reply to: obohlman

User image

Ha. Last year was my first Ironman in Zurich and it was without wetsuits. It is such a different race without them. It took me 2 hours 23 minutes to finish the swim. Luckily they didn't DQ me since I just missed the cutoff time.

t have never done a salt water swim before (in a race) and I hear it is easier to swim because of the buoyancy.

Really psyched for the race. It is my pre season training all in one day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Los Cabos Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Los Cabos Race Report

Started by andreasjs
Views: 1260 Posts: 4

2013-03-24 12:10 PM twquigmd

IM Los Cabos

Started by RazorTri
Views: 1993 Posts: 13

2013-03-21 1:19 AM metafizx

IM Los Cabos Announced Pages: 1 2

Started by slow triathlete
Views: 4726 Posts: 34

2012-06-02 10:20 PM xatefrogg

Danskin - Los Angeles anyone?

Started by vicvroom
Views: 491 Posts: 1

2005-05-16 4:38 PM vicvroom

Los Alamos, NM

Started by desertsix
Views: 408 Posts: 1

2004-08-19 12:01 AM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.