Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Inc.
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 46m 44s
Overall Rank = 2649/3499
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 261/319
Pre-race routine:

This was the "Big Race" for 2014. After a winter of almost no training, I focused solely on running. I got the miles in that I wanted, but never got the diet on track, so I ran this as a Clydesdale.

Rode to race with Pat, James, and Nick. Expo was nice and I signed Monica (wife) and I up for the 1/2 marathon in May.

Went to bed early, nothing exciting.
Event warmup:

Up early, coffee, banana, and cliff bar for breakfast.

Lots of debating on what to wear, was chilly and a bit windy. The temps were suppose to stay down so I opted for my long sleeve base layer under sleeveless bike jersey instead of my arm warmers. oops. Did wear throw away sweat shirt and pants to start line. (cut cuffs, neck, and elastic from ankles out to make it easier to remove).
Run
  • 4h 46m 44s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was to run as many sub 10' miles as possible. I figured twenty 10 minute miles and six 12 minute miles would equal 4:30 for the day. I carried my water bottle, 4 salt stick caps, and 6 gels. Planned gels at miles 3, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, & 24 if needed and salt at miles 8, 16, & 22 if needed.

Started with Pat and we started at what felt like a decent pace. GPS had a little difficulty in the city and with the overpasses, but just went with feel for awhile. By mile 2 I noticed I was sweating pretty heavily already and reminded myself to drink. It just wasn't as cold as I thought it would be. Started thinking I should have worn the removable arm warmers instead.

Just cruised along, took a gel at miles 3 and 6. Took salt at mile 8. Legs and lungs felt good. At mile 10 I stopped to refill my water bottle and cruised along to mile 15, but the effort was a little higher due to running what seemed like a long incline.

Approaching mile 15, my breathing increased and I figured I better regain control before the wheels fell off. I told Pat I was going to take one of my 12 minute miles. He was feeling good, so I told him to continue on. I walked about .10 and felt some twinges of cramps in my calves and especially in my upper quads/groin. This is when I noticed how salty I was. My black base layer was streaked and I could feel the salt on my face. Really? I come to a marathon in November and still going to have salt/sweat issues? I quickly too 2 of the 3 remaining salt caps I had left and jogged on.

Miles 16 and 17 were decent and sub 11 minutes with some walking mixed in.

Mile 18 I walked a little more trying to recover. My breathing and HR would increase with jogging. I hit the water pretty good and took some Gatorade at an aid station. Thought about finding some scissors (medical) and cutting the sleeves off my shirt, but there were still some windy parts of the course that made things chilly. Was already soaked, so wind chill worried me.

Mile 19 was a rally mile and I jogged most of it and made it sub 11 minutes.

My HR increased and the cramps came back, so I walked good amounts of miles 20, 21, and 22. I took my last salt cap, some Gatorade, and tried to eat a shot block (was cold and very chewy). I text Ed about mile 21 and told him I was cramping, but moving. Said sub 5 hours was in sight. He gave me the perfect reply "Shut Up & Run"

Rallied for mile 23 and got it under 11 minutes

Miles 24 and 25 were painful and I split them jog/walk.

Had thoughts of 4:45, but legs were not there. Gave it what I had (into a tough headwind for awhile) and finished it up.
What would you do differently?:

Lose weight. Has to happen.
Run more. Always
Opt for the removable arm warmers instead of base layer top

My best standalone marathon time was 6:04 and my best Ironman marathon time was 6:16, so 4:46 is a huge PR for me.

I am happy that I was able to make some decisions later in the race to half way keep the wheels on. In the past, once the wheels came off, they've stayed off and everything just goes downhill. This race, I was able to gather them, recover, and even "rally" at times.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to hotel, got changed, and headed home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad decisions, both nutritionally during training and apparel for race morning.

Event comments:

Great race! Especially for the price.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-05-06 12:00 AM
Running
04:46:44 | 26.2 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 261/319
Overall: 2649/3499
Performance: Average
First 10 miles: all between 9:42-10:01 -/- Mile 11: 10:13 (filled water bottle) -/- Miles 12-15: all between 9:50-10:00 -/- Miles 16&17: 10:38/10:58 (cramping started) -/- Mile 18: 12:31 (trying to walk them out) -/- Mile 19: 10:50 (1st rally) -/- Mile 20/21/22: 13:54/14:19/13:50 (lots of walking to collect myself and recover) -/- Mile 23: 10:43 (2nd rally) -/- Miles 24/25: 12:26/12:40 (half & half warding cramps away) -/- Mile 26: 11:47 (into the wind, used what I had left) -/- Happy with couple of rallies. Not been able to do that before.
Course: No big hills, but some long stretches of running "uphill." Couple of rough roads, but not bad. Plenty of aid stations and volunteers.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-04 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Monumental Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Started by tjtryon
Views: 1225 Posts: 1

2009-11-09 8:15 PM tjtryon

Started by jlusk
Views: 1264 Posts: 1

2009-11-08 9:29 PM jlusk

Started by seanp83
Views: 1301 Posts: 1

2009-07-12 10:39 AM seanp83

Started by mbmoran2
Views: 3227 Posts: 8

2008-11-11 2:14 PM Daremo

Started by Gregkl
Views: 1796 Posts: 4

2008-11-04 12:15 PM mbmoran2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area