General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running experts - 50 miles/month Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-04 11:22 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Running experts - 50 miles/month

I'm working on my run.... again. I'm always working on my run, 20 freaking years of working on my run.

Thanks to the great logging features here on BT I thought I would have a look at what my year looks like running month to month. This chart really opened my eyes. I am always working on running week to week and trying to increase my mileage from one week to another and then comes the eventual breakdown (always some kind of foot issue). This summer I kind of said screw it and ran when I felt like just enough to be able to race. August I was dealing with heal pain from some new Birkenstocks - not running related but I stopped running until it cleared up.

So, here is what my last year looks like:

So this time I am thinking of taking a different approach and trying to just stay consistent from month to month.

I have no running race goals like a HM or Marathon. I would just like to have a solid running base when tri season starts again (which is April here) and if all goes well I would like to attempt a HIM either in June or late August. Swim and bike are solid, it is just the run that is holding me back from participating in another HIM.

I have read all of the run easy and more frequently/Barry P plan just in case this thread takes off in that direction. It's always a good discussion, something I am always working towards, but well - I guess I stink at running that many days a week.

What do you think? Should I stick with this for now? 50 miles a month, is it even enough to create a base? I know it is not much but October was the most miles I have run in a month since 2010 which was when I was training for my last HIM. After that race I ended up with tendonitis in my foot and was not able to run much for many months.

At what point, if you were me, would you consider an increase in mileage?

2013-11-04 11:40 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Running experts - 50 miles/month

What if you ran 2-3 miles per day.....every day.  Your frequency and volume would go up, but you wouldn't be stressing your feet near as much as you do whhen you run longer.

I had a streak of over 300 days last fall/summer and I never felt better.  My daily runs were shorter and I ran injury free for the first time in a few years......I ended up with knee sugery so it doesn't have a happy ending....but that knee was needing repair for awhile.  I'm back to a run/walk rehab program but I'll run every day as soon as I get back.

2013-11-04 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by trigal38

I am always working on running week to week and trying to increase my mileage from one week to another and then comes the eventual breakdown (always some kind of foot issue).

So this time I am thinking of taking a different approach and trying to just stay consistent from month to month.

I would just like to have a solid running base when tri season starts again (which is April here)

I guess I stink at running that many days a week

I noted the lines that stick out for me...

50 miles/month is quite low for 1/2 marathon training...and you seem to get injured. Have you figure out why-is it due to volume increase, intensity too much, overall training volume too much?

You have plenty of time to begin to run consistently and build a base, so no worries.

It is important to add frequent low volume running sessions at the beginning to get your body ready for training. There is stress on the bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons etc. The motor and the body both need to be trained.

Having good form/mechanics, appropriate strength/core supplemental training, stretching etc is important. The goal is to get to the magic first step of volume. You should know your body well enough to know how many running sessions/week you can handle and how long your 'easy' runs have been.

Are you running 3 times/week at ~4miles each session? Do you add in any longer runs. How much time can you commit to running during your base build? Have you built in some cutback time in the past to absorb your training gains or do you push until injury?

There are many questions, but the answer frequently is: running more frequently and slowly building a few longer runs and allowing for a few shorter/slower/recovery runs as you adapt. When you can handle a certain regimen of training, then you can add in one session of something a bit faster ie w segments of tempo running.

Patience....persistence...and having a plan are all very important.

Good luck.
2013-11-04 12:15 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Pro
Burbs

Totally OT and I apologize --- where did you find that graph?

2013-11-04 12:20 PM

User image

Pro

to answer one of your questions- No.  50mi/mo isn't much of a running base.  Well, guess that depends on your goal distances, but I think you can do better.

for running- more than anything else.  Consistency and Volume.   don't worry about speed.  

Everyone is different, but I find that 25mpw is a nice running 'base'.  get there slowly.  10% increase in mileage per week- for 3 weeks, then ratchet back a week and take stock of your injuries along the way.  There aren't many running injuries that backing off and rest won't fix.  And there aren't many running injuries that therapy will fix if you keep on pounding on them.

2013-11-04 12:21 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by trishie

Go to your Training Log.

Then click on "My Training Reports" button near the top.

You can run a bunch of different things, including run distance per month like that.

2013-11-04 12:24 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I want to just comment on the statement of not being good at running that many days/week.

I TOTALLY get the hesitation, I thought the same thing... until I tried it.

For you to start with BarryP you'd be looking at short runs as small as 1.5 miles three times a week.  You won't even break a sweat, hardly.  I did the BarryP last fall to get in some consistency and pretty quickly got into the habit.  Maybe you could just try it.   Even if you skipped one short run a week (I gave myself permission to do that), you'd be surprised how easy it becomes.

2013-11-04 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
I sure can relate! I too am forever trying to build a run base and never getting far with it before I am injured. For me it has been hip joint issues and more recently something in my knee. While I have yet to get this figured out, I will share my plan for this coming year. Today I just started walking after 3 months off of running. I plan on building a walk base before I start running. I too have read the BarryP stuff and have tried more frequent running. It just doesn't seem to work for me. I plan on running every other day. It is very very frustrating. Good luck!
2013-11-04 12:29 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by trishie

From your training log you select: "My Training Reports" at the top of your log.  From there you can select any number of categories to see volume, distance, etc.  However, I believe this is one of the features of a paying membership.

2013-11-04 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Although I don't know if I could handle running everyday like LB, I did see some signifcant improvement over the last year when I went from running 3 days/week to a consistent 4 days/week.  I did do a build-up prior to doing a HM in March, but most of my runs during the year were in the 2-4 mile range.  I also have had fewer injury issues since I've gone to a higher frequency.  

Although I haven't seen any significant improvement in my triathlon running off the bike yet, I did set several stand-alone 5K PR's during the year, so I am encouraged by that.  Obviously one of the main areas of focus for me in the off-season will be working on running off the bike

I probably should add the caveat that I primarily race sprint tri's and stand-alone 5K's.  I also have been using the Galloway run/walk since I tore my left Achilles in 2010, with most of my training runs done at a 3:1 ratio (usually with no walk breaks during the last mile of a run).

For me increasing frequency was an "easy" way to increase my total volume.  The key was being consistent.

Good luck.

Mark

2013-11-04 12:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Left Brain

What if you ran 2-3 miles per day.....every day.  Your frequency and volume would go up, but you wouldn't be stressing your feet near as much as you do whhen you run longer.

I had a streak of over 300 days last fall/summer and I never felt better.  My daily runs were shorter and I ran injury free for the first time in a few years......I ended up with knee sugery so it doesn't have a happy ending....but that knee was needing repair for awhile.  I'm back to a run/walk rehab program but I'll run every day as soon as I get back.

^^^^^

This..................

......But then you knew I would say this anyway (at least if I chimed in here).  You know the Junkie philosophy has been frequent short runs for as long as you've been there.  But, knowing your injury history,  virtually no speedwork for a long time and probably not until you've been at 50 MPW for at least a couple of months.  Your perspective is the right one, take your time and be consistent AND persistent.

2013-11-04 12:36 PM

User image

I have read all of the run easy and more frequently/Barry P plan just in case this thread takes off in that direction. It's always a good discussion, something I am always working towards, but well - I guess I stink at running that many days a week.

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question...it's just a matter of making it a priority and actually following through with it.

IMHO, building a solid running base is more about proper scheduling and prioritizing than anything else. Running frequently (at an easy effort) is not that hard in itself. The hardest part is blocking off time and getting out there and doing it. Wake up a little early, watch a little less TV, multi task a little bit better. We are all busy, and getting something we currently don't have usually takes some sacrifice. We just have to be real with ourselves if what we want is worth those sacrifices. We also have to be patient knowing that this is a process that generally takes months and years...not days or weeks.

It is much more convenient if we could all just run 2-3x per week, run longer per run, and run mostly hard to safely increase our run fitness quickly. For most of us, that's just not how it works.
2013-11-04 12:37 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I want to just comment on the statement of not being good at running that many days/week.

For you to start with BarryP you'd be looking at short runs as small as 1.5 miles three times a week.  You won't even break a sweat, hardly.  I did the BarryP last fall to get in some consistency and pretty quickly got into the habit.  Maybe you could just try it.   Even if you skipped one short run a week (I gave myself permission to do that), you'd be surprised how easy it becomes.

Agree with this.  While I didn't get up to 300 days like LB, I had a streak of about 120 days a couple of years ago.  That was the beginning of the end of run injuries for me.  All easy runs (other than a couple of races) and lots of short 15 minute ones to get going.  I don't think I ever ran more than 10k during that time and it put me in the mindset that I could run that often.  I also set 5k and 10k PRs during that streak.

2013-11-04 12:47 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Jason N

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question...it's just a matter of making it a priority and actually following through with it. IMHO, building a solid running base is more about proper scheduling and prioritizing than anything else. Running frequently (at an easy effort) is not that hard in itself. The hardest part is blocking off time and getting out there and doing it. Wake up a little early, watch a little less TV, multi task a little bit better. We are all busy, and getting something we currently don't have usually takes some sacrifice. We just have to be real with ourselves if what we want is worth those sacrifices. We also have to be patient knowing that this is a process that generally takes months and years...not days or weeks. It is much more convenient if we could all just run 2-3x per week, run longer per run, and run mostly hard to safely increase our run fitness quickly. For most of us, that's just not how it works.

Yup.

Well rats, I stopped by your logs but didn't leave an inspire!

Yes, I have read the whole thread ... and looked at your logs ... you've gotten great advice. These are just my random additional thoughts.

1) You might not be running slowly enough, often enough. I realize that training at 10-10:30min/mi may seem very pedestrian, but you'd be surprised how many good marathoners still do some runs in that pace range. That's just to say that you don't have tons of base yet, you've still got running goals--it just looks to me there might be a fair amount of room to slow down in some of that running.

2) You look pretty skinny to me, but I am a TERRIBLE judge of that kind of thing. Running, and building running up--and being a slightly built female like you look to be (again, horrible judge)--a few pounds makes a huge difference in the cumulative forces you're putting on your body.

2013-11-04 12:52 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by trigal38 I am always working on running week to week and trying to increase my mileage from one week to another and then comes the eventual breakdown (always some kind of foot issue). So this time I am thinking of taking a different approach and trying to just stay consistent from month to month. I would just like to have a solid running base when tri season starts again (which is April here) I guess I stink at running that many days a week
I noted the lines that stick out for me... 50 miles/month is quite low for 1/2 marathon training...and you seem to get injured. Have you figure out why-is it due to volume increase, intensity too much, overall training volume too much? You have plenty of time to begin to run consistently and build a base, so no worries. It is important to add frequent low volume running sessions at the beginning to get your body ready for training. There is stress on the bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons etc. The motor and the body both need to be trained. Having good form/mechanics, appropriate strength/core supplemental training, stretching etc is important. The goal is to get to the magic first step of volume. You should know your body well enough to know how many running sessions/week you can handle and how long your 'easy' runs have been. Are you running 3 times/week at ~4miles each session? Do you add in any longer runs. How much time can you commit to running during your base build? Have you built in some cutback time in the past to absorb your training gains or do you push until injury? There are many questions, but the answer frequently is: running more frequently and slowly building a few longer runs and allowing for a few shorter/slower/recovery runs as you adapt. When you can handle a certain regimen of training, then you can add in one session of something a bit faster ie w segments of tempo running. Patience....persistence...and having a plan are all very important. Good luck.

Ha ha, I'm not trying to run a HM on 50 miles a month. I'm trying to find something consistent in my running so I have a base to build from to be able to manage building to a HM at some point in the future.

2013-11-04 12:54 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by DirkP

......But then you knew I would say this anyway (at least if I chimed in here).  You know the Junkie philosophy has been frequent short runs for as long as you've been there.  But, knowing your injury history,  virtually no speedwork for a long time and probably not until you've been at 50 MPW for at least a couple of months.  Your perspective is the right one, take your time and be consistent AND persistent.

It's a pretty big jump go from 50 MPM ot 50 MPW.   Although speed work on the track probably wouldn't be a good idea at this point, adding in a tempo run once a week wouldn't hurt even at 50 MPM.

Mark 

2013-11-04 12:55 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Agree with this.  While I didn't get up to 300 days like LB, I had a streak of about 120 days a couple of years ago.  That was the beginning of the end of run injuries for me.  All easy runs (other than a couple of races) and lots of short 15 minute ones to get going.  I don't think I ever ran more than 10k during that time and it put me in the mindset that I could run that often.  I also set 5k and 10k PRs during that streak.

I'm not as big on the gigantic streak, but a series of smaller ones is tremendously helpful. Only missing 1-3 days a month for several months in a row (or longer) can be quite helpful.

2013-11-04 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I'm not a coach, so take this all with a healthy dose of skepticism.

50 miles/month is about 10-12 miles per week. If you're running 4 days/week, that's about 3 miles/run, You are probably better running 3-4 miles at a time and doing it consistently than trying to run a couple really short runs and then a really long run (relatively speaking). Do mix up the runs, with lots of "easy" running with some hills thrown in for fun. If you're consistent and not injured, you can add some tempo/intervals.

If you spend the next 5 months running consistently, you'll have a great base for 5K's and could easily do a 10K. If you run consistently for 5 months WITHOUT INJURY and you want to increase your mileage to get to a HM/HIM, you can start increasing your distance s.l.o.w.l.y. It will take 8-10 weeks to double your long run.

It doesn't do a lot of good to ramp up, get hurt and then be off for a month or two.
in reply to: 0

User image

I also used to think I couldn't run more than every other day without getting injured. But if you slow down your pace you can really build up volume and consistency. I went from being a three-day/week runner to an almost-every day runner. The suggestions that others make for building up are really good, including the 3-2-1 BarryP plan.

I agree that 50 miles per month is not really enough of a base for a HM. It's really just enough running for fitness, but for a HM you'd want to be doing about double that for a minimum. Not right away, of course, but building up to it.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-11-04 1:05 PM

User image

Bronze member

Thanks for the replies all. I am not opposed to running more frequently, running still hurts a lot of days and mentally sometimes I just break and can't do it day after day. But I will try harder. There, are you happy now?!

One weakness I have always had a hard time with is not being able to filter the "good feelings" , endorphins I guess, during a run. So I will start out saying I am going to stop at 3 miles then on a day I feel good I will just keep going and then the next day I may or may not feel so good. Or maybe I should run/walk if I want to go longer (longer only being 5 miles or 6 miles right now) but I won't stop. So that is for sure an area I could improve on too.

Yanti no worries about weight - my weight does not fluctuate. I have been the same same same forever - like over 20 years. 5'5" 117 -120. Only drop below 117 when I'm sick or something. And I eat all the time, maybe I need more poptarts though

2013-11-04 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by RedCorvette

It's a pretty big jump go from 50 MPM ot 50 MPW.   Although speed work on the track probably wouldn't be a good idea at this point, adding in a tempo run once a week wouldn't hurt even at 50 MPM.

Mark 

If someone is having constant injury problems I wouldn't even do that. Literally start with 10 min running, run 6 days a week, BarryP style. Build 10% a week.

Week 1: 10, 20, 10, 20, 10, 30, rest day

Week 2: 11, 22, 11, 22, 11 ,33, rest day

and have a cutback week whenever it feels necessary, maybe ever 4 weeks. the short runs seem silly, but they are a big part of the program. You cause physiological adaptations, albeit small ones, without much recovery cost or injury risk. All of the running should be EASY. Zone 1-2.

Additionally you should try and find out if there are muscle weaknesses or imbalances causing these injuries. If you can correct those things it might make your running much easier.

What shoes do you run in? Are you an overstrider? Do you tend to have a lot of vertical "bouncing" motion when you run?

ETA: Just read your post about continuing runs beyond your original goal when it feels good. This is BAD. Espeically battling injuries you need to have the discipline to perform your workout as planned. More is not better. Never do something in your workout today that will negatively impact your workout tomorrow, they are all equally important.

Edited by dmiller5 2013-11-04 1:05 PM

2013-11-04 1:05 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Mark 

I know he did not mean that - typo for sure. He knows me way better than that ha ha!

2013-11-04 1:05 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
It's always a good discussion, something I am always working towards, but well - I guess I stink at running that many days a week.

What do you think? Should I stick with this for now? 50 miles a month, is it even enough to create a base? I know it is not much but October was the most miles I have run in a month since 2010 which was when I was training for my last HIM. After that race I ended up with tendonitis in my foot and was not able to run much for many months.

At what point, if you were me, would you consider an increase in mileage?

I'm somewhat surprised that you didn't have issues between April-May of this year, having more than doubled your run mileage.

The last two months show some promise, as you're averaging ~ 12 miles per week. Keep going on that track, and just add each month. What is comfortable for me is around 35 miles a week. Pick a weekly goal that will sustain your racing, and gradually work towards that.

As others have said, you may be trying to run too fast, slow down some to run more. You can do tempo and pickups as part of a slow run for speedwork, you don't necessarily have to go to a track to bang out 400's on the 1:05.

John
2013-11-04 1:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

Thanks for the replies all. I am not opposed to running more frequently, running still hurts a lot of days and mentally sometimes I just break and can't do it day after day. But I will try harder. There, are you happy now?!

One weakness I have always had a hard time with is not being able to filter the "good feelings" , endorphins I guess, during a run. So I will start out saying I am going to stop at 3 miles then on a day I feel good I will just keep going and then the next day I may or may not feel so good. Or maybe I should run/walk if I want to go longer (longer only being 5 miles or 6 miles right now) but I won't stop. So that is for sure an area I could improve on too.

Yanti no worries about weight - my weight does not fluctuate. I have been the same same same forever - like over 20 years. 5'5" 117 -120. Only drop below 117 when I'm sick or something. And I eat all the time, maybe I need more poptarts though

What do mean by the "still hurts"? Pain like your foot problem? Mentally going through with it? Etc ...

Especially with injury trouble, keep the runs down so that it's a more pleasant experience. Should not be hurting to get through, should feel like you left a lot out there actually. If that means cutting down to 10-15 minutes to run more often, then that's what you do. I don't know if that much reduction is necessary, but it's not out of the question.

2013-11-04 1:20 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Why does it hurt?  Are we talking pain or just burning legs/lungs?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running experts - 50 miles/month Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Finaly broke 100 miles running this month Pages: 1 2

Started by MKAH
Views: 4204 Posts: 35

2010-10-30 2:44 PM SevenZulu

First 100 mile Run Month Pages: 1 2

Started by jsklarz
Views: 2102 Posts: 31

2008-11-01 1:30 PM ultrahip_00

Another milestone: 50 mile bike ride

Started by idahodan
Views: 1001 Posts: 4

2006-08-22 12:59 PM TBZ

Personal Best running miles and for the month!

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 652 Posts: 3

2006-07-24 1:16 PM Daremo

JFK 50 Mile Run - Race Report

Started by BrianPBN
Views: 767 Posts: 7

2005-11-22 1:46 PM writers2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.