General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sufferfests Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Sufferfests
OptionResults
Sufferfests are for racing (when it happens)
No pain no gain!
A mix - toughing it out in training sharpens the mental picture.
I run in below 40, swim upstream in rapids, and bike on potholes for practi
I wouldn't know. I only train indoors.

2013-11-04 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: Sufferfests
Are sufferfests best reserved for races, or are the valid training. Is triathlon training complex enough without adding undue hardship or is there something to gain by forcing through ultimately non-damaging difficult conditions?

2013-11-04 4:50 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Subject: RE: Sufferfests
I've raced triathlon for two seasons. I got into it as a pretty good runner, poor swimmer, and an adequate cyclist. I have three vids so far. When I started to regularly insert them into my routine I quickly noted that my bike was improving quicker. Also, I'm no fan of the drainer and I do like training with Sufferfest.
2013-11-04 7:41 PM
in reply to: Fokker416

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by Fokker416 I've raced triathlon for two seasons. I got into it as a pretty good runner, poor swimmer, and an adequate cyclist. I have three vids so far. When I started to regularly insert them into my routine I quickly noted that my bike was improving quicker. Also, I'm no fan of the drainer and I do like training with Sufferfest.

I think he was referring to "sufferfests" in the colloquial term, as in training in very challenging conditions (rain, sleet, snow, etc) as opposed to the video series for indoor cycling. I, too, thought that's what this poll would be about... I agree on the videos, btw! There is No Try and ISLAGIATT are my two favorites right now, last year was the Wretched

2013-11-05 7:50 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by rdailey1

Originally posted by Fokker416 I've raced triathlon for two seasons. I got into it as a pretty good runner, poor swimmer, and an adequate cyclist. I have three vids so far. When I started to regularly insert them into my routine I quickly noted that my bike was improving quicker. Also, I'm no fan of the drainer and I do like training with Sufferfest.

I think he was referring to "sufferfests" in the colloquial term, as in training in very challenging conditions (rain, sleet, snow, etc) as opposed to the video series for indoor cycling. I, too, thought that's what this poll would be about... I agree on the videos, btw! There is No Try and ISLAGIATT are my two favorites right now, last year was the Wretched

The only video I have is Revolver and that is tough. The next one I'd like to get is ISLAGIATT that looks brutal

2013-11-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

Didn't see this thread, I just posted about Revolver in a separate posting.

ISLAGIATT is tough, but I think Blender is the tougher of the two "long" Sufferfest vids. It's 15 min. shorter, but to me, much harder.

I like to pair Angels (60 min. climbing) w/ Long Scream (30 min. TT). That's my personal fave.

Did Revolver for the first time this morning. Not pretty (in a good way).
2013-11-05 4:43 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by rdailey1

Yup, meant it in the general term. When I started triathlon I would do these incredible workouts under harsh conditions. A couple of times it led to injury. I was wondering how others view it and thought a few funny (or not so funny) captions might get some voting going.

Where I stand today - I like pushing it at races. I've now long since proven I can handle the cold, the heat the rain, the snow, the sleet. Training is too valuable to waste on suffering. It needs to have purposeful direction. So now when there's a lightning storm and three inches of rain, I train by recovering.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sufferfests Rss Feed