General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
36F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 33m 1s
Overall Rank = 242/698
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/79
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 0400 and started getting dressed in the bathroom so as not to wake up the Nicole and the kids, Skylar and Wes. Began sipping on my carbo-pro/protein shake and took my usual vitamins. Relieved to finally have woken up on the day I will finally become and Ironman. Keep wondering if the cold weather is going to smack me in the face when I walk out of the Best Western. Start checking things off of my list that I made the night before since I knew my mind was going to be a little delirious thinking about the day to come out on the course. Checklist complete, all my warm throw away sweats on, chemical hand warmers ready to go (with extra for anyone who looks extra cold at the swim start), and out the door at 0430 for the short walk to the Hilton for the buses. Cold outside as expected (36 degrees), but feeling blessed to be able to compete!

First one to arrive at the buses, saw them coming around the corner as I walked up. Saw that a couple of the trolleys didn’t even have windows, so I crawled on the first one and the driver turned up the heat, good to go. Buses started getting full and off we went into the dark over to Transition 1. Arrived at T1, threw in one more item for warmth into my bike bag and headed over to my bike and special needs drop off. Checked the tires and the guy next to me, bib 459, offered his pump to top of my tires, thanks! Can’t remember his name, but it was his first Iron distance as well. His bike was gone before mine after the swim, nice work! Decided to put the bottom half of my wetsuit on to stay warmer and then headed over to the warm buses that would take us to the beach start. Sat next to a retired Navy pilot who was turning 60 in 4 days and this was his birthday present to himself. Love this positive, inspirational culture!

Arrived in the dark at the beach on the first bus, still cold out and about 1 hour 20 minutes to go until the gun…sheesh…0630 now (an hour out), time to down a couple of Hammer nutrition pills. 2 Endurance Premium Race Caps and 2 Anti-fatigue pills. Most of the racers are arriving now and a couple of people are really starting to shiver next to me. Some of them are walking around barefoot with no sleeves, hard core! Had several leftover hand warmers, so I passed out what I had and got some nice smiles for that. Freezing, but still everyone looking and remaining positive. Wanting bad to get into the water at this point, which seems counterintuitive since the air temp is still in the 30s, but the water is almost 70 and will be nice! Couple of trips to the Porto-john and time to head down to the start. Pounded a gel and downed 5 Endurolytes pills to fight off any cramping that may come during the swim.

Event warmup:

Walked down and got into the water since I thought it was going to be a water start and realized I was wrong after they told us to get out of the water, unwise choice! Shivering pretty well now, but the National Anthem and Eminem’s song “Lose Yourself” fires me up over the moon. I get chills again just thinking about it. Here we go!
Swim
  • 1h 14m 38s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Gun goes off and into the water we go. Ahhhhh, nice and warm. I settle in and find a groove outside of the main pack. Glad I took the time to look on Google Maps at some sighting points since there was only one buoy way down the channel. Really I was just heading towards all of the splashing and hoping several of us weren’t just heading in the wrong direction.

I usually only breath on one side in open water to make sure I don’t ingest too much salt water, but I was really feeling comfortable and settled in to some nice bilateral breathing with smooth relaxed strokes. Sun is coming up over the homes now and the swimmers up ahead are all silhouetted in a breathless mighty display of the true essence of this sport. Feeling my long hours of training taking over, the ease of movement through the water is surprising me and soon I can see the turn buoy! Making the turn I can see the condos I remember as one of my aim points and can’t believe I am almost done. One of hamstrings is starting to cramp, so now I am just trying to drag my legs through the water and get to the dock. Finally to the dock and it takes a couple of attempts to pull myself up the ladder. Top of the ladder and I feel a volunteer grab my wetsuit zipper and give it a yank, thanks! I decide to use the wetsuit strippers since I never have before, hearing the Race Director’s comments at the athlete’s meeting in my head “just sit down and let the strippers do the rest, just like real ones!” HA! Off it comes and now I realize that maybe I should have kept it on for the 300 yard run to T1 since now the temp is still in the upper 30s and I am soaking wet! brrrrrrrrr. Feet feel like blocks of ice so I stop briefly at the warm shower outlet and then head back out towards T1. I am amazed at the fans lining the street and cheering and notice how nice it must be to be in all of those coats and layers!

What would you do differently?:

Not much, probably swim harder! Wasn't very fatigued at all.
Transition 1
  • 15m 39s
Comments:

Into the crowded changing tent I go and manage to find a spot to sit and start drying off. My fingers are not working very well and getting dressed and trying to get socks on is becoming a challenge. I relax and laugh at the chaos and know that I had better make sure everything is in order for the cold 112 miles ahead. Finally dressed and I jump in line at the Porta-johns. Somebody in line tells me to go ahead of him since I was in the Full race and I realize that they are waiting to start the half-iron race and appreciate the gesture! Finally out of T1 after 15 minutes and onto the road.

Not much, knew I needed to get dry and comfortable.
Bike
  • 6h 24m 23s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Down a gel to offset the depletion of the swim and with teeth chattering I bear down for the long haul.

The forecast called for NW winds, so I am prepared for a headwind and got what I had been waiting for. Freezing, but feeling good and knowing that soon I will start to warm-up and get into my groove. Moving along at a comfortable pace now despite the headwind and traffic seems to be very patient with all of the athletes and giving us room. Soon I am heading due North up the main highway of the course and before I know it I am 30 minutes in ready to take my first bag of pills. I have been doing well with my nutrition on my long training rides, so I am feeling confident about that. I have 4 bottles on the bike at this point, 3 are filled with two scoops of Carbo-Pro (50 grams of carbs, 200 calories) and 1 Camelbak Elixir electrolyte tablet (420mg sodium) and 1 bottle of water. First 3 bottles are for hours 1-3, with a water bottle for hour 4. First 3 hours also require two amino acid pills, 1 Endurance Premium Race Cap and an Anti-fatigue pill. 200 calories an hour has been working great on the bike and I never have any GI issues or cramping. My first couple of races last year I over salted and got some pretty good heartburn, but the Camelbak tablets seem to be just right. Hours 1-3 go awesome and then I hit the special needs stop around mile 55 to grab my two extra bottles of Hammer Nutrition Sustained Energy powder with a Camelbak Elixir tablet for hours 5 & 6. Hour 4 is the bottle of water with two gels (200 calories) and 5 Endurolyte pills along with the 1 Race Cap and Anti-fatigue pill. Hammer Nutrition is awesome. Five bags of pills in my race pouch make me look like a part time drug dealer, but it works for me!

I am really feeling good on the bike still, but I am holding back a little since I have never run more than 13 miles in training and probably need something extra in the tank. The lack of run training has been due to some IT Band issues and pain at the top of the Fibular head. Turning back towards town we start to pick up a tailwind here and there and I am able to keep my HR at the bottom of my training zone and still keep up a pretty good clip. Be patient I keep telling myself, this is going to be your first marathon! I keep passing people with flats and say a prayer for each of them for a speedy fix since I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Especially since the cold air would probably cause a lot of extra trouble trying to move my fingers. I stop several times to pee along the highway, which is a good indication that I am doing well with my hydration. The lack of sweat and flapping of my shirt is causing my HR monitor to go crazy (static electricity) and frustrating me at times, so I have to keep holding my shirt out and dumping water down my front to make sure I am staying in my zone. I decide that I need to probably pop some Aspirin at mile 90 to prep for the run since I am not sure how my knee will hold up. Still feeling great and trying to soak in the scenery, while staying focused on staying within my training.

Haven’t seen the family since last night so I am starting to get excited about seeing my Nicole, Skylar and Wes. I know that it will inspire me once I see them and can’t wait. Crossing the bridge at mile 111 and feeling a surge of power. Almost to T2 at the convention center and I hear my family! I am all smiles and they look relieved to finally see me. Nicole is cheering, Skylar has the camera and my seven year old, Wes is looking at me like where are you going Dad? Across the timing mat and I hand off my bike to another awesome volunteer.

Push harder, was preserving for my first marathon, but still had some left in the tank!
Transition 2
  • 07m 46s
Comments:

Feeling great and can’t wait to start the run. Around the convention center, grab my bag and into the changing area. New shirt, new socks, bib belt, hat, more body glide and I am off.

Nothing
Run
  • 4h 30m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Back out on to the street and I can see my family again. I make sure to stop and hug the kids and give my wife a kiss and then I am off to start the first loop. Staying easy with the pace to make sure my knee is going to last and decide that at hour 1 on the run I will pop a couple of more aspirin and then two more at hour 3 to get me home. Mile 5 and I am in to my first bag of nutrition pills and a gel. The turn around is at about mile 7.2 and soon I am headed back to town. Feeling a little shaky and low on sugar so I grab a couple of cookies and a pretzel at an aid station and it gives me a little burst on top of my nutrition. Sun is starting to set and the temp is dropping back down. Thinking that I am glad I packed an extra shirt in my special needs back that I can pick up at mile 13. Excited to see the family again and my daughter Skylar greets me first and runs a bit with me around the boardwalk. Pass the finish line and see the celebration happening and can’t wait to be there! (the two loop run causes you to pass right next to the finish line 3 times!). Grab special needs, one more kiss for the wife and I am ready to go…and not sure about the second loop…wasn’t able to train farther than 13 miles in the run so this is all new territory. Back out towards the lake and all of sudden I am at mile 16, 10 to go. Starting to get dark now and eerily quiet with a few hard-core fans still cheering us on. Really appreciate those fans! The staff is firing up all of the trail lights now, but still pretty dark in between them and I am straining hard to see the road at times to make sure I don’t trip. Nearing the turn around point now and hitting my nutrition points and I pop a couple of more aspirin, knee is hanging in there. Grabbing a sip of coke at each aid station now and a little broth. 20 miles now and just a 10K to go. Thoughts of the finish line are overwhelming me and I can’t believe I am headed back into town for the final push. Just get to mile 24 I keep saying and you will float the last two. Pretty quiet out on the course now as I try to encourage those that are still heading back out on their second loop. They will be finishing much later and I am proud of them and their guts they are showing! Walking through each aid station now to make sure I get all of my fluids in and to give my knees a break and soon I can hear the party downtown. My stride starts to quicken and I can’t feel a thing. There it is, the 24-mile marker, here we go! Fans everywhere and I know that I am going to finish under my goal of 13 hours and become an Ironman. Nearing the finish line and I hear the announcer say that we have a FINISHER entering the chute, “That must be me!” I think, I’ve never been the only guy in the chute before and he says “look at the smile on that guy’s face!”. You better believe it! I am so elated and looking for my family. I cross at 12:33 and finally hear my daughter screaming “Daddy!” I give her a big smile and ask, “Where’s your mother?” and then see her running with the camera, she had got some photos of me in the chute.

Nothing really, but I will train harder next time and hopefully stay injury free.
Post race
Warm down:

Another awesome volunteer puts a medal around my neck and then long awaited hugs from my family. And then I am surprised by two of my best friends who have driven 4 hours to surprise me! I am glowing and feel great. They seem to be looking at me in shock like I should be getting ready to pass out, but nothing can take away the elation of training for two years for this very moment. I felt like I could have pushed harder, but I learned a lot. A hot shower and a beer is sure going to feel good! Ok, Where’s the pizza!?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience and injuries.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-11-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:38 | 4224 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 47/79
Overall: 348/698
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Point to point in a channel
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 15:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:24:23 | 112 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 47/79
Overall: 278/698
Wind: Headwind
Course: Single loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:30:47 | 26.2 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/79
Overall: 209/698
Course: Two loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-11-05 3:13 PM

User image

Camden, NC
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2013-11-06 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4893037

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Congrats, IRONMAN! Nice RR!

There's nothing like crossing the finish line at one of these things...truly one of life's memorable experiences.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by halman
Views: 2277 Posts: 3

2013-11-07 5:42 AM HercDriver

Started by trigirl069
Views: 2091 Posts: 2

2010-11-19 9:24 PM [email protected]

Started by triguy71
Views: 2431 Posts: 3

2010-11-18 11:00 AM alltom1

Started by shermantank
Views: 2333 Posts: 4

2011-10-18 9:08 PM Kanedog

Started by anth
Views: 2440 Posts: 3

2011-10-22 9:33 PM Oldteen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.