General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A different kind of injury question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-05 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
Subject: A different kind of injury question
(brief) background.

December 2012 I sprained my ankle. Since then, I've struggled with pain with it and I've noticed that foot does not flex as much during runs. Sometimes, it hurts when I run, sometimes not. Sometimes the pain is after a run. No real rhyme or reason such as distance, speed, hills or anything like that that I can decipher. Here comes my question.

I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a new pair of Brooks. The shoe store employee told me I needed a larger pair than I have always gotten (even though I've never really had toenail issues) so I did - went up a full size. Since there was heel slippage, she taught me a new way to tie the shoes - the way that involves the back eyelet and looping. After back to back runs (Saturday/Sunday) I noticed the pain was much worse (heck, I was limping) - not during the run, but after - and I developed a swollen spot near the anterior ankle and there is pain in the center where the foot meets the leg. I thought maybe it was ganglion cyst, but it doesn't hurt to push on that bump and it's almost gone. Still some pain on the top of the foot though. Here's the kicker (to me) - it didn't hurt while I was running. Is this a function of how I tied the shoes? I haven't ran since Sunday (partially due to time constraints and partially due to thinking I should let it heal)

Thoughts?

2013-11-08 12:32 PM
in reply to: crimefighter2

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: A different kind of injury question

Originally posted by crimefighter2 (brief) background. December 2012 I sprained my ankle. Since then, I've struggled with pain with it and I've noticed that foot does not flex as much during runs. Sometimes, it hurts when I run, sometimes not. Sometimes the pain is after a run. No real rhyme or reason such as distance, speed, hills or anything like that that I can decipher. Here comes my question. I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a new pair of Brooks. The shoe store employee told me I needed a larger pair than I have always gotten (even though I've never really had toenail issues) so I did - went up a full size. Since there was heel slippage, she taught me a new way to tie the shoes - the way that involves the back eyelet and looping. After back to back runs (Saturday/Sunday) I noticed the pain was much worse (heck, I was limping) - not during the run, but after - and I developed a swollen spot near the anterior ankle and there is pain in the center where the foot meets the leg. I thought maybe it was ganglion cyst, but it doesn't hurt to push on that bump and it's almost gone. Still some pain on the top of the foot though. Here's the kicker (to me) - it didn't hurt while I was running. Is this a function of how I tied the shoes? I haven't ran since Sunday (partially due to time constraints and partially due to thinking I should let it heal) Thoughts?

My differential would be 1- scar tissue in your ankle AKA lateral impingement lesion or 2-talar dome injury...the talus is in the center of your ankle betaween your tibia anf iblua.  Go see an orthopod to rule out that stuff.  The shoes? SOmetimes it takes a while to get used to a new pair but its unlikely the shoes caused you any harm

2013-11-08 5:17 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Bronze member

I was just wondering how you were doing on my way home from my run today. I have a lot of trouble with different shoes causing discomfort to my feet but never any swelling. I also have a ganglion cyst. It does not hurt when I push on it but it does swell or get fluid build up. I have had some shoes that really rub it just wrong, irritate it and cause discomfort. As soon as I stop wearing them the pain subsides. I have had it looked at by a doctor and am cleared to run. When I first developed the cyst it hurt the most and it was tiny like the size of a pea.  I'm only sharing my examples as it relates to your issues. It sounds like you have been dealing with this on and off for a long. Might be time to call the doc just to be sure. Finding a decent Orthopod around here could be the harder part!

2013-11-08 5:19 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Bronze member

Either way I would take the shoes back if you can. It sounds like your not loving them!

2013-11-14 4:17 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
I actually like the shoes - I think what I did was tie them too tightly as I was able to go for another run recently and no issues during or since. Very strange, but I like the "no pain". I probably do have scar tissue, or arthritis. Every time I get an x-ray or mri its the same. "Arthritis". Darn it, I'm only 42! Thank you for the input!

D
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A different kind of injury question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What kind of knee injury is this?

Started by tkaufmann60
Views: 592 Posts: 1

2012-06-14 4:17 PM tkaufmann60

Sick of PF questions? This one is different

Started by nickesch
Views: 866 Posts: 2

2008-03-15 2:48 AM Cyclingmaniac

running w/injury question

Started by CindyK
Views: 977 Posts: 3

2005-01-09 11:15 PM Blacktoe

Injury Question

Started by MUL98
Views: 814 Posts: 4

2004-11-09 12:16 PM Whit

Bike Injury Question

Started by Adam_NH
Views: 1530 Posts: 7

2004-07-15 5:02 PM Adam_NH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.