World Triathlon Corporation
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 46m 24s
Overall Rank = 902/2891
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 179/500
Pre-race routine:

I was all set from Friday. so just got bottles on bike and into wetsuit and relaxed till I got into water
Event warmup:

Short swim not so much for water temp but the Gulf was still rocking from the front that came through Friday.
Swim
  • 1h 02m 49s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

That was the roughest swim I ever had. I think many people seeded themselves in a much faster time then they really swim. Plus waves was making it a wreck tossing people around and current was pushing people around.
What would you do differently?:

Start farther up front !! I was in the under hour time corral, which is where I should have been but I let the first few go in front to see how the waves was gonna toss them around. Many was trying to go over waves instead of under and they was getting a butt kicking
Transition 1
  • 05m 38s
Comments:

I thought T1 was gonna take longer with the long run and how we had to get to the bikes but it went pretty well. I didnt change cloths so I just put on helmet and ran to bike with shoes in hand to it was a bit faster then trying to run in bike shoes

nothing
Bike
  • 5h 23m 33s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where my complaints start. FIRST I had read a lot about IMFL and all the drafting that goes on and wanted to stay out of it. Before I was outta town it had started already and bikes was diving in and out between people with just inches to spare. Around mile 11 I had a huge pack roll up on me and was passing, I was already on the white line with no place to go and they was only giving maybe 4 inches from shoulder to shoulder. Well either the last guy or one of the last got on my left side and dove in. His rear tire hit my front tire and the next thing I know I was sliding down the road on my side. Stood to find just another big pack coming at me swerving all over the road. Chain off and bottles across road I had to get bike back up and running. Aero bars was spun sidways but things worked. So i gathered my thoughts and tried to shake off the bugs cause I was dizzy ( didnt know till after I cracked my helmet) AND this was not the last time I seen this, actually the entire ride I seen packs of bikes from 10-30 in a pack swapping positions in the draft. I even seen a group of about 15 in the tent and after theri time was up they jumped right back into a pack and took off . WORST WORST CRAP I EVER SEEN !!!

I gave the bike a good cause not till yesterday did I know I rode with a sever bruised hip, whole left side road rash, swollen hematoma elbow, and a few cracked ribs.
Transition 2
  • 04m 5s
Comments:

I was not sure if I was gonna be able to run or not. Hip hurt so much and when they seen me in T2 they was gonna take me to medical but I told the guy NO I have to finish first then I will go
Run
  • 5h 10m 19s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Knowing there was NO WAY I could run or even run walk it , I decided to run till the wheels fell off and deal with it later. Made it 12 miles until compensating for L hip made the R hip and everything below the hips hurt too bad to run. SO not wanting too I had to walk the last 13 miles. I did try to run at times but never made it farther then maybe 100 feet before the pain made me walk. Ribs was not letting me take a deep breath so it was all shallow and fast just to get O2. It SUCKED to say the least
Post race
Warm down:

Nika ( my A.R.T. lady) was at finish and took me to medical and got me cleaned up, still had dried blood all over and scabs with rocks and dirt in them. That was my cool down

What limited your ability to perform faster:

OF COURSE THE DRAFTER WHO WRECKED ME !!!

Event comments:

I had this race for a PR !! I trained and was ready for it. IF IF it was me that failed I could handle it better. Like lack of hydration or nutrition etc.. I could handle it better BUT when BAD PISS POOR SPORTSMANSHIP is the cause I cannot deal with it. I mean if people have to cheat or wanna team sport go to baseball or bowling. I have waited 5 years to race IMFL ( spent almost 3 of them years in the desert) finally get to it and ready to lay it all out and this shit happens. Sorry but IRONMAN did a terrible job with the refs and need more to control this. AND if anyone reading this you was in them packs MOVE ON TO A NEW SPORT !! and I will bet you still didnt come close to the Kona slot you wanted.

Last updated: 2013-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:02:49 | 3800 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/500
Overall: 212/2891
Performance: Average
Suit: Roka Wetsuit
Course: 2 laps
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:23:33 | 112 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 85/500
Overall: 471/2891
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: One big loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:10:19 | 26.2 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 179/500
Overall: 902/2891
Performance:
Course: 2 laps
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-06 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
Subject: Ironman Florida

2013-11-06 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4893840

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida

The only things I can say is: First... I am DAM Glad you weren't hurt worse. Second: Phuckers... they obviously don't have a clue what triathlon is about. Third: I can't believe your rank even with walking half the run. You are an animal. Fourth: Ironman races seem to be over rated. -other 140.6s are obviously way better run races. You deserved a better race, for sure.

Still really proud and impressed with you.

2013-11-07 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4893840

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Sorry to hear about your wreck. Very gutsy finish. We came out of the water at about the same time, and I was as surprised as you to see the blatant drafting out of the FOP guys. I was shocked when I got to the first penalty box and there was only 1 guy in there. I'm not a very strong cyclist so got passed a lot and very few were solo guys riding legal. Most packs were 5+ and some were downright pelotons. I did get a chuckle out of passing a packed second penalty box, but the guys passed me in a pack minutes later (as you described). Did see a lot of officials but apparently they were just enjoying the ride.
2013-11-07 2:11 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I am so sorry that happened to you. I have to say despite everything you still had a time most people would kill for myself included,  You totally rocked it out so huge congratulations.  I hope you heal up fast and your bike is OK too

2013-11-08 1:51 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

You still had a solid race by most standards, and to do it in the condition you were in after the wreck is quite impressive.  Too bad some jack wagon screwed up your race that way! 

Congratulations on gutting it out and refusing to quit!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 5223 Posts: 48

2006-05-06 5:51 PM gullahcracker

Ironman Florida

Started by murray723
Views: 4065 Posts: 13

2005-11-08 7:57 PM hdhtri

Ironman Florida

Started by Alpine87
Views: 2475 Posts: 25

2005-11-12 8:23 AM Cal

Ironman Florida

Started by kcavagnolo
Views: 2723 Posts: 19

2005-11-09 9:44 AM COgirl

Ironman Florida Pages: 1 2

Started by Drinking Buddy
Views: 4389 Posts: 29

2004-11-18 5:34 PM pzdipr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!