General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Headlights for Running in Dark? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-06 8:31 PM

Subject: Headlights for Running in Dark?
Got up early today to test the waters for morning runs, and yep, it's dark. Anybody out there using headlamps? Any recommendations?

2013-11-06 8:34 PM
in reply to: runningmon

Subject: RE: Headlights for Running in Dark?
My wife got me a little LED that clips to my hat. Works good enough, couldn't imagine wearing a full headlight.
2013-11-06 8:50 PM

For a couple years I'd buy cheap blinking lights and they would do the trick and last a couple months. Then I bought two of the Supernova Road ID lights (flashing or steady). I clip one to my collar in front and the other on the back. They have a dome lens so they throw light to the side also. Almost every one of my runs are in the morning darkness...these are great. They're on special right now for $10.39. Be safe!
2013-11-06 9:02 PM

I've seen a hat with lights built in the brim. Looks cool.
I use my headlamp from Black Diamond, has all kinds of dimming, red, flashing, and can be put into almost any angle.
Doesn't weigh too much, and they come much lighter.
When I get around to it, I'm going to put a reflective strip on the strapping.
I use this for things other than running, so it's my go to lighting source.
2013-11-06 9:50 PM

2013-11-06 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
I do almost all of my runs in the early morning. I use a Princeton headlamp to light the front and a Nathan red flashing light clipped to the back of the headlamp strap. I use a hat or a visor with the headlamp set above the brim.

The Princeton is a heavier light (uses 3 AAA batteries), but I like to make sure I see any debris that may be in the road (I've twisted my ankle more than once by not seeing something and stepping on it). I use the flashing rear light to make sure that no one makes a left hand turn into me from behind.

2013-11-07 6:03 AM
in reply to: croyston

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I have a black diamond and it works well. Light, very bright, crazy adjustable, and doesn't eat batteries.
2013-11-07 6:34 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I use one of these.  It's rediculously bright, drivers give me a ton of room with it.  It's a tiny bit bulky with the 3 aaa batteries but it has never bothered me.

http://dx.com/p/zooming-cree-q5-200lm-2-mode-1-led-white-light-headlamp-3-x-aaa-3-6-4-5v-117193

2013-11-07 6:45 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I am a predawn runner, so my lights get a workout as well. I use a Princeton Tech Byte. It is small enough and light enough and gives me enough light. It is not the brightest, but it gets the job done. Also, their customer support is great. I broke the hinge on the battery door and sent it to them and they replaced it, no questions asked. The downside is that it does not have a rear blinker, but for the price I felt it was a good deal.

http://www.princetontec.com/byte

2013-11-07 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I have a Black Diamond Sprinter which works well. Light, has a red blinker on the battery pack on the back and it's rechargeable.
2013-11-07 8:39 AM

Regular
Ottawa, ON
For headlamp I have Petzl e+Lite. Very light but not much light output if you run in rural area. I also have the Tikka Plus XP. Very bright but I find it heavy so I barely use it.

I also bought the supernova lights from RoadID. One red clipped in the back of my shorts/tights and the other white clipped on the the front. Both on blicking mode. Not much light output from them but it more used for drivers to see me from far away.

Cheers!

2013-11-07 8:50 AM

User image

Master
I run in extremely unlit rural areas and have used a variety of cheapo headlamps. I really have no preference. I bought a 5-pk. on NewEgg and keep them spread out in my car, work-out bags and storage area so there is always one in reaching distance when I need it. A AAA battery seems to last for years in theses LED lights so you don't have to worry about recharging.
2013-11-07 8:53 AM
in reply to: mtx

User image

Master
Central Kansas

I have two cheap ones I rotate. I don't notice the weight. I like that they both swivel so I can put the light where I need it and that they have two beam strengths. I would also recommend a reflective vest. I bought mine from new balance, I think. I have had the set up for a couple years, and it works well.

2013-11-07 10:12 AM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I have absolutely NO clue what kind of headlamp I use, I got them at Costco and they were ridiculously low priced at 3/$10 or so.  I had never used one before B2B last month, but knowing I was going to be finishing after dark, I wanted to make sure I had one with me as I had no idea how lit the run was going to be, and man o' man, am I ever glad I had it.  The run was quite dark, and after a while I had people running with me because I was the only one with a headlamp on to be able to see what was coming up in front of us through the park that we were running in. 

Whichever you choose, I would say to make sure it's bright enough to also throw some light on the ground in front of you to try and keep you from tripping or rolling an ankle. 

Stay safe!  

2013-11-07 10:18 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

BTW, this is likely the brightest headstrap-style headlight you can buy. 500 lumens is about as bright as a car headlight on high beam. If you want luxurious lighting, this thing will illuminate everything in front. Just turn it down to lower settings if other people are coming since it's so bright.
2013-11-07 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

2013-11-07 10:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

yeah- it's that time of year.  the time of year for headlamp threads.  And- every year there are terrific new products out there.  I used to use the el cheapo cap lights.  they sorta' did the job, but once I got a 'real' light, I'll never go back.

If you run on roads, you'll need less light than on trails.  For road running, 50-70Lumens seems to be good enough.  100 is better.  Above that and I find that the light from the road reflectors and street signs just gets too bright.   You'll want more light if you run faster (sub 8min/mi), and less if you're a slow jogger (11-12min/mi).   But, having a light that has the option of a power even higher than that is terrific for my dark, rural area at spotting animals in the desert.  I can now tell the difference between the reflective eyes of a coyote, deer, rabbit, bobcat and javelina.  It's good to know where these animals are!

For trail running- I'd go 100Lm minimum, and above that is better. Some of the new CREE LED lights are hugely bright.

My other desires are light, comfortable, relatively inexpensive (hey, I'm sure the Pretzl NIO is nice... but at $170...), and that I don't need to always worry about the battery life.  For instance, the aforementioned princeton tec quad is a nice little light and will put out 78lm, but on that high power, it's only spec'ed to last 1 hr.  So- do you want to be changing your batteries before every run?  that would be annoying.

I don't know if it's the worlds best, but I went with the Princeton Tec Remix.  it takes regular AAA batteries.  I tend to use the 70lm setting, but it has a 100lm option.  batteries will last over 50hrs on the 70lm setting.  Also, it's only 66g.  The brighter lights tend to take AA batteries which are heavier.  

http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-Remix-Headlamp-5mm/dp/B002HMTNUW

my detailed review is there on the Amazon site.  not a bad choice for $30.   I add a little red reflector and blinky light on the back of the head band so cars can see me from behind (if my reflective vest, for some reason, doesn't catch their eye).

Careful reading the specs on these things.  An advertisement will claim 100 lumens and 200 hrs.  but at 100 lumens it might only be 2hrs and to get the 200 hrs you have to put the light on the lowest setting.  That's why I chose the Remix (not the Remix Pro), as it seemed to have a good combination of battery life and brightness.  One set of AAA's will last the better part of a training season.

Edited by morey000 2013-11-07 10:41 AM
2013-11-07 10:46 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

The Petzl Tikka 2 is a very serviceable and affordable headlamp for the average road runner.

http://www.rei.com/product/791311/petzl-tikka-2-led-headlamp

2013-11-07 11:17 AM

User image

New user
I run with Black Diamond Cosmo and it's pretty good for what it is. I'm interested in the Black Diamond Sprinter if I do buy another one.

On a side not, I've experimented with the small Amphibod Clip Cap Light, but it's too dim. It'll work if you run in a fairly lit area, but when I have to duck and stride over things, it' just not enough. I wish it was a little brighter since the form factor is perfect for me.
2013-11-07 12:30 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Originally posted by cdkayak

I have a Black Diamond Sprinter which works well. Light, has a red blinker on the battery pack on the back and it's rechargeable.

Black Diamond Sprinter FTW!
2013-11-07 1:48 PM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Pro

Originally posted by MonkeyClaw
Originally posted by cdkayak I have a Black Diamond Sprinter which works well. Light, has a red blinker on the battery pack on the back and it's rechargeable.
Black Diamond Sprinter FTW!

The sprinter is certainly a popular one.  the cool thing about it is that it comes with a rear red blinky light.  I wish more of them did!  it only has two levels tho, with a max of 75 lm.  Which is solid, and about the light level I normally choose to run with.  Not sure about the over the head strap.  What I don't like about it is that it only has a 6hr burn time and it's a rechargeable battery.

I realize everyone has their own desires and needs- but since this is a discussion of headlamps, I'm gonna share why I prefer AAA powered headlamps vs rechargeables.  (YMMV)

1st:  It's 5am.  I'm going for a run.  I put on my rechargeable headlamp and I forgot to charge it last night.  What do you do? 

2nd.  Ultras.  hard to plug your headlamp into a tree for a few hours.  easier to just have a few tiny AAA's in your bag.

3rd.  they tend to be more expensive.

I guess the upside is that if get in the habit of always plugging in your headlamp, then you always run out the door with a full charge. 

2013-11-07 3:14 PM
in reply to: morey000

I'd actually say avoid the lights and hats with built-in rear blinkies.

For $25, you can get a truly awesome rear blinkie that will protect you far, far more than those weak low-powered built-in ones.

Mars 3.0, Planetbike Superflash are two great options, which clip easily to a running hat, run on 2 x AAAs for long, long times, and are so bright that they hurt your eyes if you look directly at it. They're also super durable. It's well worth the extra money.

I run a lot on sidewalks in my neighborhood, which means I'm running with the flow of traffic, and am at risk from rear-approaching cars who might want to make a right turn into me. That rear blinkie is the most valuable safety light for me - more valuable than my blindingly bright 500watt front light.

I actually refuse to run at night without a bright rear blinkie anymore - just not worth the risk, imo.
2013-11-07 4:07 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

The Petzl Tikka 2 is a very serviceable and affordable headlamp for the average road runner.

http://www.rei.com/product/791311/petzl-tikka-2-led-headlamp

I have used the same light with no problems for the last three winters.
2013-11-07 5:33 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by VGT My wife got me a little LED that clips to my hat. Works good enough, couldn't imagine wearing a full headlight.

I've used some of these clip-on ones that I picked up from meritline I think.  They were cheap and worked well.  Downside is replacing the little watch-style batteries eventually.  If you can find some that take a AAA then that might be a simpler option.

2013-11-07 6:26 PM

I pretty much run exclusively in the dark on multiuse trails that are surrounded by trees and vegetation. It is very dark. I use a black diamond I got at REI. There are many brands that are as good or better. But, what ever brand you get, invest in rechargeable batteries.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Headlights for Running in Dark? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Running headlight

Started by mrbeachbum2
Views: 3094 Posts: 19

2011-10-25 12:47 PM kloofyroland

Overcoming the 'dark/dark' winter blahs Pages: 1 2

Started by Mike_D
Views: 2397 Posts: 27

2010-11-06 9:12 PM Atlas_Shrugged

Headlight for running

Started by LittleCat
Views: 896 Posts: 13

2009-08-08 8:14 PM Experior

Running in the dark

Started by KathyG
Views: 1078 Posts: 14

2005-11-07 10:34 PM AdventureBear

Running in the dark...

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1115 Posts: 11

2004-11-01 2:27 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation