Team Magic
85F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 36m 6s
Overall Rank = 184/347
Age Group = Beginner Female
Age Group Rank = 7/47
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:00-eastern time, made a peanut butter and banana sandwich and a poached egg to eat on the way. I had to have at least one cup of coffee and I took water to drink on the way. I arrived at the race site at about 7:00 eastern time. I picked up my race packet and started setting my gear on the rack and then picked up my timing chip. I saw my friend Gina and her husband. I was pretty intimidated by all the fancy tri bikes and buff looking athletes. I was just here for fun and for the experience and I wasn't going to worry about any time goals-just try to do my best and get through each stage as it came.
Event warmup:

I didn't do any warmup-I was afraid it was going to storm and since I was starting at the back I didn't think it would do me much good anyway.
Swim
  • 08m 54s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I knew going into this that the swim was the worst part. I listed a slow swim time so that I could start at the back, but now I wished I started sooner because there were two women ahead of me that really could not swim and they stayed staggered so that no one could get past them until two guys behind me swam through the middle. I followed them so that I could actually start taking strokes and trying to keep some sort of form, but it was really frustrating trying to get through the mass and swim so I probably could have done better than I would have first thought I could.
What would you do differently?:

Started with a slightly faster group.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I took long in the transition-had trouble getting socks on and then clipping into my pedals.

Just try to do everything faster. Start pedaling and not stopping to get clipped in-everything was so slippery.
Bike
  • 59m 10s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike course-the first half went a little slow, but then I started to feel stronger and felt like going faster. I was able to pass quite a few people out there and I felt really strong going up the hills. The training route I have been riding was exactly like the race course so I felt prepared today.

I just need to ride more and train harder so that I can try to get faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I felt okay and was able to get off the helmet and quickly change my shoes, I quickly chugged some sports drink and took off running.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 46s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't used to the wobbly feeling in my legs and I hadn't practiced any bricks so it took the first half to even feel normal and get into my stride, but by the turn around I felt good and started passing people and feeling better and by the homestretch I actually felt I could have run more.

Practice more bike to run transition runs
Post race
Warm down:

A race volunteer handed me a bottled water at the finish line and it tasted so good. I was sick of the sports drink taste by this time. I milled around and watched others come into the finish. I only know three people at the race, but everyone was so friendly so I felt like I had made some friends at this event.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more practice and better training, but I am new at this and now I am hooked on the sport.

Event comments:

I thought Team Magic put on a top notch event, and I look forward to coming back next year hopefully in better shape and ready to go. I think I like this sport, I just need to really work on swimming, transitions, and working on my bike mechanics and speed.

Last updated: 2006-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:54 | 300 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 306/347
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: 6 lanes in 50 yard pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:59:10 | 16.5 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Overall: 0/347
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:46 | 03 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 0/347
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with a couple of short small upgrades
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %2 lbs
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-30 3:09 PM

User image

chattanooga
Subject: Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon

2006-07-30 7:50 PM
in reply to: #497499

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: RE: Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon

hey there!!! you did awesome girl!! ok so swimming not your thing but you did great on the bike and smoked the run (hey, I would love your run times!!)...

next time don't forget to try to let us know where you are so the rest of us BTers can cheer you on too!! there were like 5 or 6 of us there.

2006-07-30 8:02 PM
in reply to: #497499

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Yea good race and let the rest of the BTersknow, would have been nice to have gotten a picture....

Great Race

2006-07-31 9:21 AM
in reply to: #497663

User image

chattanooga
I was trying to look around and see if I recognized you from your picture, but I wasn't sure so I didn't approach anyone-I am a little on the shy side, and I was so nervous at this event. Beginner's jitters.
I thought you had a great swim time. It looked like a lot of people were getting hemmed in and bunched up in the mass trying to get through.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon Rss Feed