General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold hands in the swim. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-07 3:16 PM

Subject: Cold hands in the swim.
Hi, having some trouble with swimming in water temps of 60's, my hands tend to become claw like making for a poor catch (and my catch is not great even at its best). I am able to keep going for a bit by clenching/releasing my hands a couple of times during the recovery, but its anoying at best and worrying that as the swim gets longer the clench/release approach will not work. Any ideas on what I could do? Am training to acclimate to cold water, but doesn't seem to be doing much good other than making me dread it each time. Outside of the water also my hands get cold very easily(i.e gloves for the run when its sixty), opposite of the rest of me where I will run in shorts all the way into the forties.

Will be wearing full wetsuit, neoprene cap, also neoprene socks if below 65. Will also be drinking some warm ginger/cinnamon tea prior to start. Also pour some warm water into the wetsuit. On practice swim doesn't seem to help a whole lot. I am a slow swimmer so will be in the water for a while. I know gloves are not allowed under any circumstances.

2013-11-07 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4894647

Veteran
Tennessee
Subject: RE: Cold hands in the swim.
Have you tried neoprene gloves? I know I have seen them.
2013-11-09 8:47 PM
in reply to: iruptacopula

No because they are against the IM rules :|
2013-11-10 12:01 AM
in reply to: indie

User image

You sound just like me. If the temp is below 60, my body freaks out and shuts down circulation to my hands and feet. My toes actually turn white when it's in the 50's outside. Doesn't matter that I sweat like crazy, even on easy runs, my body is all but ready to abandon my extremities. I don't have any advice unfortunately When I did my HIM, my hands were so cold my T1 time was close to 10 minutes because I couldn't even bend my fingers afterwards and couldn't get my bike gloves on and I damn determined to wear them for whatever reason. It wasn't even that cold out. I'm interested if anyone else has advice. Only thing I can suggest is to maybe practice T1 like this. Don't bend your fingers when you practice and adjust your layout. I didn't have this issue at all for my full IM, but the water was in the mid 70's that day.
2013-11-10 3:29 PM
in reply to: Blastman

Blastman yes that is me, sweating buckets while my hands are white and bloodless :| I did practice transitioning a couple of times. It will be very slow. Hopefully I will find some nice volunteer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold hands in the swim. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pro Tip - Cold Hands While Riding

Started by Goosedog
Views: 674 Posts: 3

2012-01-17 6:07 PM jasonball

Cold hands while training indoors?

Started by Tripolar
Views: 1284 Posts: 6

2011-03-10 5:03 PM bigwaterbill

How Cold is Too Cold to Swim?

Started by dsw3131
Views: 17908 Posts: 9

2011-01-14 8:25 AM scholar

Cold Hands/Poor Circulation

Started by Phillipians
Views: 2015 Posts: 23

2010-11-08 7:49 PM Curtisb

Cold water - unprotected face,feet,hands??

Started by tallytom
Views: 1247 Posts: 18

2010-07-08 11:05 AM gir1with1nose
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : November 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've noticed when running that my hands start to swell. I started running with a fuel belt and started sipping water about 15 minutes into my run. It seemed to help for a few runs, but not all.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 7
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!

date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!