General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IRONMAN Lake Tahoe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-08 12:56 PM

User image

Regular
Charleston, SC
Subject: IRONMAN Lake Tahoe
Looking to contact anyone from South Carolina that went to Tahoe this year. Anyone???

2013-11-18 4:26 PM
in reply to: mroudabush

Subject: RE: IRONMAN Lake Tahoe
I believe there were only two of us representing South Carolina this year. What would you like to know?
2013-11-19 6:46 AM
in reply to: ccrecente

User image

Regular
Charleston, SC
Two of us from the Charleston area are signed up for 2014. Looking for advice from your journey last year. Training; did you train up around the NC/SC borders? Gearing selection? How much time to give to acclimation for the altitude? What would you do differently?

Thanks,

Mike
2013-11-19 3:10 PM

Yes I did train a good bit in Western NC when I wasn't training at home in Greenville. Mainly in the Saluda, Flat Rock, Hendersonville area. I'd highly recommend getting up here to train at least a few times as the climbing is steep and sustained compared to anything you will find in the Charleston area. The steepest climbing is in the Martis Camp area that you cannot preview. It had variable grades so you could get a quick break before the next steep section came up. It also had somewhat techincal descents, but nothing crazy. Brockway Summit is pretty steady at around 10%. The nice thing about it is that it is a pretty straight road and you can fly down the back side. My Garmin flaked out on me, but it wasn't uncommon to hear people getting 7k to 8k feet of climbing for the ride. Dollar Hill should also not be overlooked as you definitely feel it the third time around. I brought my Shiv with a 50-34 crank and and 11-28 rear. While I had no trouble with that set up, I could have used another gear to keep the rpm's up. I was pretty conservative on the ride as it was my first Ironman and I didn't want to blow up the run.

Altitude acclimatization is something that varies from person to person, but I went out there a week early and I was fine. Six thousand feet really isn't that high unless you really have trouble adjusting. During first quarter of the swim I took it really easy since the water was cold and I read that swimming at altitude would be tougher than the other two sports. Once I got into a rhythm I was fine.

Things I would do differently: bring a pair of socks for the beach. It was frozen out there at the start and my feet hurt until I got into the water. I would also put on more layers for the bike. I underdressed and was colder than I needed to be for the first two or three hours. Last, I would go faster on the bike! I had energy left in the tank at the end of the run :-)

Be prepared for any kind of weather. Although there was little wind and no precipitation on race day, it was colder than expected. The day before there was high winds, rain and snowfall. It is a beautiful race course though. Enjoy it!

Chris
2013-11-20 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Charleston, SC
Great Advice!

Down here our only "hill" is a bridge, so we have to drive inland at least an hour to find rolling hills.

One last question (for now) what clubs or group rides did you hook up with?

Thanks!

Mike
2013-11-20 5:48 PM

Yes I'm familiar with the Ravenel Bridge and the IOP Connector :-) Most of my training was done solo, but I did do group rides with the Greenville Spinners (http://www.greenvillespinners.org). I trained through the winter with the Spartanburg Freewheelers (http://www.freewheelers.info) as well to get ready for the Assault on Mt. Mitchell which really helped with base bike fitness. From those groups I was able to make friends and get some unofficial rides as well.

Chris

2013-11-21 2:06 PM

User image

Regular
Charleston, SC
Thanks for the information it will help a lot! Also very impressed that you picked this for your first IM!

Mike
2013-11-25 4:48 PM

I was there! Great race in one of my favorite places in this beautiful country. I spent a lot of time there after Raleigh this year getting ready for the race. Great communities, scenic riding and hiking, great eateries and bars... I just wish I could go back next year but with Chattanooga the following week Ill be there getting ready for that inaugural event. Don't be scared by reports. It was a tough race but hey, everyone has to do the same thing!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IRONMAN Lake Tahoe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Swim at Lake Hartwell

Started by pschriver
Views: 2188 Posts: 11

2014-09-18 11:40 AM Clempson

Lake swims at lake Hartwell

Started by pschriver
Views: 3081 Posts: 10

2012-09-04 7:38 PM Clempson

Lake Murray sprint tri

Started by RSPDiver
Views: 1130 Posts: 4

2007-05-16 7:26 PM barqhead

Lake Murray Triathlon

Started by dcwade
Views: 2643 Posts: 5

2006-05-18 11:50 AM bucwilson

White Lake Half Iron

Started by gullahcracker
Views: 1521 Posts: 6

2005-12-05 5:10 AM gullahcracker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.