Threads and Treads
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 44s
Overall Rank = /700+
Age Group = 20-29 F
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race at about 1 hour before start time. My designated racking area kinda sucked -far from bike entrance and exit and instead of the regular racks I had a police barracade. Since this race was in my hometown I spent most of my time catching up with old friends -some of whom I had not seen since high school!
Event warmup:

A short swim while the mens waves were starting (women and relays went last)
Swim
  • 09m 33s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt really good, stroke felt smooth and fast. Conditions were great. The only problem was that I started passing the previous waves at the first buoy. Swam with Michelle and Will Smith (no, not the actor/singer) pretty much the whole way. Mich and I passed will towards the end which I was kinda suprized about -he's on the USA Nat B team for water polo and also a great swimmer (Will was in the women's heat because he was on a corporate relay). Exit out of the water was good -thought it was funny how some guys were walking in the water and I was just swimming by them...don't they realize swimming is faster than walking thru water??? I always try to swim till my hand start to touch the bottom of the ground...usually is a good rule of thumb and worked this time. Run up the beach was good -felt suprizingly strong and not that winded.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I need to learn how to A-ride without socks and B-jump on my bike, and put shoes on while beginning to ride -I think this will be a goal for Westchester in about 1.5 months.
Wore sunglasses for the first time in a race -seemed to be fine.

see above
Bike
  • 43m 30s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Mich got a head start on the bike because I had to run about 60 extra yards to my transition area...so started on bike as second woman. I was able to catch her at around mile 4 or 5 but she was able to hang with me and we ended up finishing together. This was probebly my best bike leg ever -I was killing people on hills and was able to stay aero for longer periods of time (even when cornering). Still need to work on turns, but uphills and downhills were good -flats could be a little better, but good overall.

see above
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I also need to learn how to jump off the bike while riding with feet on top of shoes -another goal for Westchester.
Since I had a barracade for a rack my bike wouldn't stay "hung" so I just sort of flung it -not the best thing to do especially as I was the first to come in in my section but oh well. I think this is the reason I forgot my race number...oops! (Luckily this race isn't USAT sanctioned). I did get shoes on quickly though...took a big gulp of water by accident coming out of T2 which then sloshed around the entire run.

see above
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I still suck at running but at least I'm improving. Left calf seemed to get tight coming out of T2 -this is the second time this has happened. Breathing was still labored...I did remember to take my asthma medicine in the morning and I think this helped a little bit. After about one mile my breathing started to improve. At least I know that I have somewhere to significantly improve.

see above
Post race
Warm down:

talking with friends

What limited your ability to perform faster:

running

Event comments:

So all of the girls who stayed at my place last night placed -we went 1-2-3 in the 20-29 AG! Mich blew me away on the run...but only by two min which is good for me, Kathleen (who won NYC in her AG) went in the elite group but as a strong runner and a weaker swimmer and biker she ended up having no one to race with -she came in about 1 min ahead of me but I think would have been faster if she was with Mich and I. AG prizes were cool -asics dry-lite singlets with the race logo.
It was also great to catch up with more friends post race. Went to a TNT barbeque after the race which was fun -lots of beer, food and playing volleyball in the pool.
Oh, I almost forgot...I dropped my time by about 10 minutes from last years race :) Above all that's what I am happy about - a significant improvement.

Note: split times approx-no chip timing.

Last updated: 2006-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:33 | 880 yards | 01m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/700+
Performance: Good
Suit: no wetsuit -TYR racing suit
Course: an elongated triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:30 | 15 miles | 20.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/700+
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Roller coaster hills, very technical -one long gradual hill and one huge hill (11% grade and about .5 miles long).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:44 | 03 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/700+
Performance: Average
Course: Trail running, some sand...killer beach run on rocks for last 300 yards or so.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-30 4:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Subject: 2006 BMW Greenwich Cup Triathlon

2006-07-30 8:38 PM
in reply to: #497566

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: 2006 BMW Greenwich Cup Triathlon
Awesome race!!! Congrats on a super finish. BTW, for some of us walking in the water is probably faster than swimming.
2006-07-30 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey
Way to go! You killed this race. Congrats on 2nd!
2006-07-31 7:47 AM

Regular
Congratulations on a great race!
2006-07-31 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Wow! Great race. Congrats on the AG place - I like the idea of a practical award (shirt) better than a trophy or medal. And 7:55/mi does not suck at the end of a tri - besides when you swim .5 mi in 9:30 you have to give us terra-centric athletes a chance to catch up Wink.  Again, awesome race!  
2006-07-31 8:56 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Wow! Great race, well done!

"The only problem was that I started passing the previous waves at the first buoy. "

Nice problem to have Smile

2006-07-31 1:31 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Holy wow you are fast.  Not just on the water, either.  And I mean ON the water cuz you were flying!  Nice race.

2006-07-31 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
thanks everyone

If anyone tries to look up results you won't be able to find me...somehow they dropped me They always seem to screw up the results at these Greenwich races, I think it's because they don't use chip timing. They seemed to miss a few people. Oh well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 BMW Greenwich Cup Triathlon Rss Feed