General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach or No Coach?? Please Advise... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-03 4:12 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Subject: RE: Coach or No Coach?? Please Advise...
I used a coach when I was new to the sport as it was just all a bit overwhelming but he made it one of the objectives that after a while, I wouldn’t need him. After four years I realised that delegating coaching was a mistake and no-one can listen and understand the feedback from my body like I can. So next year will be my third ‘self coached’. I’ve invested the money I would have spent on coaching into a sports massage once a week, a turbo trainer and race entry (will do two IM distance races in 2014 instead of the usual one).

It’s a bit daunting but I’m enjoying the process of planning my training and trying work out the purpose of each session. I miss having an expert to ask and I read a lot on here but don’t enjoy some of the blanket “this is what you must do to achieve x” that’s banded about so it’s tough to get answers to some of the questions.

I also had to admit to myself that there was some startling feedback that my mother (not a coach!) could have given me before I needed a trained professional ie; “lose 30lbs and run more” – until I’ve run quality volume for six months there’s really not much a coach can do for me.

2013-12-03 6:24 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Subject: RE: Coach or No Coach?? Please Advise...
Originally posted by Dan-L

I used a coach when I was new to the sport as it was just all a bit overwhelming but he made it one of the objectives that after a while, I wouldn’t need him. After four years I realised that delegating coaching was a mistake and no-one can listen and understand the feedback from my body like I can. So next year will be my third ‘self coached’. I’ve invested the money I would have spent on coaching into a sports massage once a week, a turbo trainer and race entry (will do two IM distance races in 2014 instead of the usual one).

It’s a bit daunting but I’m enjoying the process of planning my training and trying work out the purpose of each session. I miss having an expert to ask and I read a lot on here but don’t enjoy some of the blanket “this is what you must do to achieve x” that’s banded about so it’s tough to get answers to some of the questions.

I also had to admit to myself that there was some startling feedback that my mother (not a coach!) could have given me before I needed a trained professional ie; “lose 30lbs and run more” – until I’ve run quality volume for six months there’s really not much a coach can do for me.

Loved reading this today! Thank you. I have raced for over 7 years so I do feel like I've learned the ins and outs of the sport of triathlon for
sure. Like I said, I've written up training plans and led group workouts for years. But, maybe it would be nice to experience a coach for the first time I do an IM. Then again, this makes me realize I can get through it either way!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach or No Coach?? Please Advise... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

IM N00b: coach or no coach?

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 1652 Posts: 18

2009-06-25 4:33 PM JorgeM

Coach vs. no coach Pages: 1 2

Started by kellc09
Views: 3452 Posts: 27

2007-07-05 12:36 PM KSH

PC Coach for IM

Started by truebrits
Views: 744 Posts: 1

2007-05-07 5:31 PM truebrits

Coach or no coach? 1/2 and full IM distances

Started by cobannero
Views: 2118 Posts: 25

2006-09-30 12:08 PM BROUILLARD

Coaching and Improving performance

Started by mauro1981
Views: 1793 Posts: 4

2004-12-07 8:20 AM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.