Brazen Racing
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 59s
Overall Rank = 1/242
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Had to get signed up. This was a last minute decision to do this race. A little hectic due to bad directions but it all worked out
Event warmup:

3/4 mile warm up, light stretching
Run
  • 45m 59s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 36s  min/km
Comments:

Started right up front and looked around at the competition. Gun went off , 4-5 guys leaped out front but that dwindled down to 3 within 100 yds. then it was one young guy and me. I could hear someone on my heels but it was way to early to look back. I guess I should mention I've never done a trail race. I have run a few trails behind my house in training but this was pretty extreme. Foot placement was critical. Back to the race... the guy in first had 100 yard lead and this seemed to grow at every hill we encountered. I would close the gap when it flattened out but only till the next hill. I was thinking at this point "do not loose second place" . There were two major hills that were to steep to run. This was a bit tough on me mentally, Ive never walked during a race before, but nobody was running these hills. Nothing changed for the first 5 miles then I closed the gap between the leader and I. I was feeling real good so I made my move into first place. The guy I had been chasing said he was cooked and patted me on the shoulder. With only 3/4 mile to go the race was mine to win or loose. I could hear someone on my heels so I kept up the pace and concentrated on foot placement. The trail flattened out and I knew this race was mine, with hands in the air I took first overall. Second place was :04 seconds back
What would you do differently?:

It would have been nice to have some data. And maybe some trail shoes.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food from the buffet. Mostly junk M&Ms a Coke, bagel with peanut butter. Chatted with a local guy fellow multisporter for a bit while we ate.

Event comments:

I guess we got lucky in that there are 5 creek beds usually 2 ft. deep with water. They were all dry.

Last updated: 2013-11-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:59 | 10 kms | 04m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/242
Performance: Good
HRM was just not working. I fiddled with it for a couple minutes but decided it's not worth obsessing over it.
Course: 1250' elevation. enough said?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-10 4:15 PM

Subject: Diablo Trail Adventure 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diablo Trail Adventure 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

12-Hour Adventure Trail Run (12-HR ATR)

Started by runamarathon
Views: 798 Posts: 1

2012-11-23 7:14 PM runamarathon

1st Annual Planet Adventure Winter Quarter/Half/Full Trail Marathon

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 1059 Posts: 3

2012-02-01 1:24 AM van_paulus

Planet Adventure Eagle Creek Half Trail Marathon

Started by Stickyrunner01
Views: 1066 Posts: 1

2010-10-05 12:02 PM Stickyrunner01

Muddy Trails 10k trail run

Started by antlimon166
Views: 1522 Posts: 2

2010-04-05 5:42 PM BigDH

Tri-County Trail Bicycle Adventure

Started by ihafij
Views: 821 Posts: 1

2004-08-15 11:11 PM ihafij
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : April 16, 2008
author : Team BT
Watch Christina Robeson, Chris Bagg, Janda Ricci-Munn and Lisbeth Kenyon battle it out at the 2008 Multisport World Expo in this 10K indoor time trial.
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.