General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Current fatty with a goal to becoming a healthy Triathlete! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-11 5:38 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Subject: Current fatty with a goal to becoming a healthy Triathlete!
Hello, my name is Greg and I'm from Windsor, Ontario. I deciding November 1st that I was going to get back into shape with the goal of doing a Triathlon in the summer of 2014. I currently weigh 321 pounds and stand at 6"6 and started back up with a training program this past week. I'm completely in the dark as of what to do. I used to be a runner, and can still run 4km at my weight, despite not having worked out in a year. So far I've been doing 2 of the 3 events per workout day. I train 6 days on 1 day off. Currently I'm just trying to get back into shape and drop some of this weight which is a burden. I work midnights full time, plus a part time day job every other weekend, plus a needy girlfriend lol. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I approached a couple of trainers at the gym I attend and they basically looked at me like I was crazy. I'm actually pretty nervous about the whole thing as it seems like a lofty goal, but I'm a stubborn one.

Thank you!

Greg

2013-11-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4896240

New user

Subject: RE: Current fatty with a goal to becoming a healthy Triathlete!
Lofty goals are the best ones. No professional advice but I will offer what is working for me. I had to find a diet I could live with. For me it was weight watchers, but anything that helps you eat better and not feel deprived. For exercise, I just started slow and slowly built up. Still a long way to go to my triathlon but I have hit my weight goal. Finally, if I miss a day or have a bad food day, I let it go and get back on track the next day. Do this healthy stuff long enough and one day doesn't hurt too much. For me it is just being consistent.
2013-11-11 10:29 AM
in reply to: texhibita

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Hey Greg,

Welcome to the BT community, we're glad to have you here! There are lots of diets out there but there is nothing that works for every single person. I truly feel that the best way to lose the weight and stay fit is to find a good balance between nutrition and exercise and stick with it.

A good tool that I've recently started using is MyFitnessPal. The focus of this website (and app if you have a smartphone) is to monitor your net caloric intake as well as some other key areas. I know the days of counting calories are long gone but for me it is a way to be more aware of what I'm eating throughout the day. The app has the ability to scan every single food product that you eat and input it into your daily totals. You can also log your exercises (both cardio and strength) to see how that can effect the things that you eat.

If you're interested take a look; I've only been using the app for two weeks and I'm completely obsessed with it.

Again, welcome to the BT community and good luck with your future tri aspirations!
2013-11-11 6:37 PM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

my answer to diets is just eating less and increasing my activities. I personally limit my sugar intake, no fast food, no soda or alcohol, I also try to stay away from processed food.
2013-11-11 11:36 PM
in reply to: suefesta

User image

windsor, Ontario
Yeah I've given up my biggest addiction: ginger ale. Just not too sure how to go about training for this. Like how much swimming I should be doing.
2013-11-12 10:45 AM

User image

Originally posted by GregDufour Hello, my name is Greg and I'm from Windsor, Ontario. I deciding November 1st that I was going to get back into shape with the goal of doing a Triathlon in the summer of 2014. I currently weigh 321 pounds and stand at 6"6 and started back up with a training program this past week. I'm completely in the dark as of what to do. I used to be a runner, and can still run 4km at my weight, despite not having worked out in a year. So far I've been doing 2 of the 3 events per workout day. I train 6 days on 1 day off. Currently I'm just trying to get back into shape and drop some of this weight which is a burden. I work midnights full time, plus a part time day job every other weekend, plus a needy girlfriend lol. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I approached a couple of trainers at the gym I attend and they basically looked at me like I was crazy. I'm actually pretty nervous about the whole thing as it seems like a lofty goal, but I'm a stubborn one. Thank you! Greg

Lofty goals are good ones!

If it helps, I started of at 6' 3", just under 400. I've since lost 130 (and shooting for another 60-ish more) and (had it not been for a mid race injury, finished the race) tackled a 70.3 this year (along with 2 sprints and an olympic) and I'm doing a full next year. Believe me you can do it!

How is your swimming capability?

How is your biking capability?

Sounds like you are OK with running? 

I'm no expert ... but the advice I got from my coach at the beginning is go slow at first. Your body will thank you later and it avoids injury possibilities.

Good luck with your goals.

2013-11-12 11:56 PM
in reply to: moverby20

User image

windsor, Ontario
My biking is decent, the run is definitely not an issue, the swim is a bit of an unknown. I know how far I can swim in the pool, but from what I've been reading, open water swimming is a totally different ballgame. I'd probably rank 1.Run, 2. Bike, 3. Swim. I'm definitely feeling the extra weight I carry. I'm down 5 pounds in my first week of training, and I'm already back up to 5km. Got my biking up to 10km, and my swimming about 200 meters.
2013-11-13 1:22 AM

User image

This is just my $0.02 worth (and probably overpriced at that!) ...

I'd pick a sprint training plan that is balanced and use that to get started. Find a nice local sprint to set your sights on and train for that.

Open Water Swimming is a different beast and depending on what you will be swimming in, it can be wild. However, don't be afraid of it - it's totally manageable. If you're not used to doing OWS - find a local group or a location with support / safety and practice in the open water before your triathlon. Especially if you'll be using a wetsuit - it's much different swimming in a wetsuit too (better IMO, but different).

Congrats on the 5 lbs loss!

2013-11-13 5:03 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Thank you so much! So how much does a wetsuit typically run, and what's the distances on a sprint triathlon?
2013-11-13 8:35 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Greg,

Everything you want is well within grasp.

1st - Nice to have anouther Ontario based newbie. I hope to see you at some of the local series races next year. I am hoping to be at Binbrook and Grimsby at least. And maybe Guelph 2.

2nd - Triathlon is great for weight loss. The mix of sports helps with recovery and everything (if done right) is in the ideal fat buring zone.

3rd - I come from a similar backgroud- 1st of Jan last year I was dead on 300lbs and at 6' 3" I could carry it reasonably well (could play soccer/golf etc) but knew I wanted to drop a ton. My job also has me working some nights but Tri training has seen me drop 55lbs this year. I run 3 or 4 days. Swim 2 and was occasionally cycling to work. I still cannot believe how well Tri training has helped me drop weight. Nearly 20% of my weight gone in less than a year.

If you are planning your workouts then I have one peice of advise. Make a lot of it (90 to 95%) slow easy work. Steady runs often. I got frustrated early in the year that my wieght was not moving and so went out for a fast run straight after doing a balance/strength session and tore up my calf. A dumb mistake getting outside my plan and having to take a week off (lucky it was not a worse tear).

Do it.
2013-11-13 9:12 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
You are beginning a great journey which will hopefully lead you to accomplishing things you though were out of reach. you'll be transformed (physically & mentally) by the changes you see in yourself. I started the same trip 3 1/2 years ago. I was you, only worse off -- couldn't swim, no running, and barely a biker. Stick with it, and enjoy the training. Find a race, a swim coach, and a training plan to guide you on the way. Stop in here with questions. Ask anything. In short order, you'll be astounded by the changes in your perspective on what you can do. Most of all, have fun!!! Now go get it!!!

2013-11-13 9:29 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by GregDufour

Thank you so much! So how much does a wetsuit typically run, and what's the distances on a sprint triathlon?

nineteen wetsuits are ontario based so have some local outlets and sell tri specific gear.

They have entry level suits from $225.

I will be tempted if my annual bonus comes through this year!
2013-11-13 11:05 AM

User image

Originally posted by GregDufour Thank you so much! So how much does a wetsuit typically run, and what's the distances on a sprint triathlon?

Sprint distances are usually (and they vary, in my experience) a 750m swim, about a 12-14 mile bike, and then usually a 5K for the run. I think the "official" distances by the ITU are 750m swim, 20km bike, and 5k run. However, there is usually some play in there for the course that your local sprint tri is run on. It's a nice bite sized distance to go get a feel for it. 

Wetsuits seem to run from, in my experience, from about $189 and up (some on line sales can bring it that low). Now is a reasonably good time to be looking because shops are often closing out last years models.

2013-11-13 11:38 PM

User image

windsor, Ontario
My only issue with a suit is, I'm currently 316 pounds right now, and I'm hoping to be down around 230ish by the time I race, so what fits me now won't fit in the summer.

So question, what do you wear under your sweatsuit? Do you just take it off and have your race gear underneath?
2013-11-13 11:39 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

windsor, Ontario
Where can I find a schedule of the local race series? I'm definitely hoping to make it out to a few this year.
2013-11-14 1:18 AM

User image

Originally posted by GregDufour My only issue with a suit is, I'm currently 316 pounds right now, and I'm hoping to be down around 230ish by the time I race, so what fits me now won't fit in the summer. So question, what do you wear under your sweatsuit? Do you just take it off and have your race gear underneath?

For anything that is a HIM or less, you just wear whatever you're going to race in. I wear tri-shorts and a tri-top under my wetsuit and then sometimes for the run, I'll throw a shirt on over my tri top depending on weather conditions and such.

My guess is that based on your location, you probably won't be doing any open water swimming until the weather turns, so there isn't a rush to buy a wetsuit.

2013-11-14 1:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by GregDufour Where can I find a schedule of the local race series? I'm definitely hoping to make it out to a few this year.

I'm not sure of a good site for your area (as I'm in Washington), but I did a quick google search and found this 2013 calendar of races in Ontario. 

http://www.trimapper.com/tris_na/triathlonsbyst.php?country=Canada&state=ON

You might also ask your local triathlon shop what they know about local races.

I also bet that there are probably folks here that can point you better than I can.

2013-11-14 4:16 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Originally posted by moverby20

Originally posted by GregDufour My only issue with a suit is, I'm currently 316 pounds right now, and I'm hoping to be down around 230ish by the time I race, so what fits me now won't fit in the summer. So question, what do you wear under your sweatsuit? Do you just take it off and have your race gear underneath?

For anything that is a HIM or less, you just wear whatever you're going to race in. I wear tri-shorts and a tri-top under my wetsuit and then sometimes for the run, I'll throw a shirt on over my tri top depending on weather conditions and such.

My guess is that based on your location, you probably won't be doing any open water swimming until the weather turns, so there isn't a rush to buy a wetsuit.

Awesome, I really appreciate the help!
2013-11-14 9:25 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
For Ontario:

http://www.multisportcanada.com/tri/

http://www.trisportcanada.com/

Both will likely publish lists for the 2014 season soon (unless its for HIM or IM events which have longer registration).

These resources are good for further out but again bear in mind that many 2014 series have not announced yet (boht sites can easily be filtered by distance and for Triathlon:

Canada:

http://www.mynextrace.com/calendar

USA:

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/
2013-11-14 1:28 PM

User image

You could always rent a wetsuit for your first race.  I think xterra rents them for about $50 (US).  If you decide to keep the wetsuit they take some of the rental fee off the cost if I remember correctly how that works.  The downside is you will not be able to train in it much before your first race since you get it maybe 5 days before and you have get the size is correct.  The plus side is since you are hoping to lose weight you'll get it closer to race day and you'll know your race weight.  Also if you decide tri's are not your thing because you don't like swimming or OWS your not stuck trying to sell a wetsuit.  I don't know anyone who rented this year so some of this could've changed.  End run, one less thing to worry about.

2013-11-14 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Welcome and good luck! there are many great resources and more importantly support for all of your goals, all of which seem reasonable.

If swimming is a concern you might want to look into a masters group in your local area and also find a Tr club to join. I know for me when I started that was the greatest resource I had and also what really kept me in the sport, wonderful people!!

Sounds like you have a pretty good workout routine going already. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to let your girl friend know how important this is to you and that you really need her support. I have very limited time due to fluctuating shifts and I have to schedule my workouts around my job, family and any other conflict I might have. For me having a big goal makes me get my workouts in, many days are get home from a very long day, immediately change and work out, or better yet take what ever gear I need for the given workout and do it before I go home.

There are also some weight loss accountability groups on the site, we weigh in weekly and it helps us stay on track.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your success!

2013-11-15 5:24 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

windsor, Ontario
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

You could always rent a wetsuit for your first race.  I think xterra rents them for about $50 (US).  If you decide to keep the wetsuit they take some of the rental fee off the cost if I remember correctly how that works.  The downside is you will not be able to train in it much before your first race since you get it maybe 5 days before and you have get the size is correct.  The plus side is since you are hoping to lose weight you'll get it closer to race day and you'll know your race weight.  Also if you decide tri's are not your thing because you don't like swimming or OWS your not stuck trying to sell a wetsuit.  I don't know anyone who rented this year so some of this could've changed.  End run, one less thing to worry about.

Awesome, thank you! My plan is to do 3 this summer in the Windsor-Essex County region, so I may save up and purchase one. I know this is a stupid question, but when you take off your wetsuit and start biking, what do you do with your wetsuit? Leave it, take it with you? My initial thought was to throw it over to my girlfriend or parents.
2013-11-15 5:29 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

windsor, Ontario
Originally posted by Mountaindan

Welcome and good luck! there are many great resources and more importantly support for all of your goals, all of which seem reasonable.

If swimming is a concern you might want to look into a masters group in your local area and also find a Tr club to join. I know for me when I started that was the greatest resource I had and also what really kept me in the sport, wonderful people!!

Sounds like you have a pretty good workout routine going already. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to let your girl friend know how important this is to you and that you really need her support. I have very limited time due to fluctuating shifts and I have to schedule my workouts around my job, family and any other conflict I might have. For me having a big goal makes me get my workouts in, many days are get home from a very long day, immediately change and work out, or better yet take what ever gear I need for the given workout and do it before I go home.

There are also some weight loss accountability groups on the site, we weigh in weekly and it helps us stay on track.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your success!

Yeah, it's been working out so far. I take off to the gym when she goes to work, right before my midnight shift. Noticing that I have alot more energy. It looks like down the line as my training gets longer that I may have to split it up: go the the gym for the first half right after work, go to sleep, see my girlfriend and then back to the gym. Should work out. Sundays are my planned days of rest, with the occasional rest during the week depending on how I sleep. I am noticing that I'm having trouble getting to sleep now when I'm done work, like all of a sudden I have a energy burst.
2013-11-15 9:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by GregDufour Awesome, thank you! My plan is to do 3 this summer in the Windsor-Essex County region, so I may save up and purchase one. I know this is a stupid question, but when you take off your wetsuit and start biking, what do you do with your wetsuit? Leave it, take it with you? My initial thought was to throw it over to my girlfriend or parents.

You just leave it in your transition spot. I have a towel on the ground with all of my transition gear. and I just throw it on the back of the towel behind my run gear as I do T1.

Iron-distance is different, but 70.3 and below that's pretty much how it goes.

Edited by moverby20 2013-11-15 9:16 AM
2013-11-15 9:40 AM

User image

Awesome, thank you! My plan is to do 3 this summer in the Windsor-Essex County region, so I may save up and purchase one. I know this is a stupid question, but when you take off your wetsuit and start biking, what do you do with your wetsuit? Leave it, take it with you? My initial thought was to throw it over to my girlfriend or parents.

You leave it at your transition spot.  The basic idea is after you exit the water and you are running to T1 you unzip it and start pulling it down as you are running.  When you get to your bike you pull it down as far as you can and then pull one leg out and then the other.  THat way you don't have to sit down to take it off.  It does take a little practice.  Then you kick(I usaully try to get a spot on the end), toss or place the suit in your spot, somewhat carefully so you don't mess up your transition space and those around you.  You want to make sure it is clearly in your space so 1.  you don't interfere with the other competetors and  2. you don't want to get an equipment penalty.  Some people like to take it off as soon as the exit the water and then run to T1.  Some of this depends on the logistics of the race.

Your first race you will have a lot on your mind so there's nothing wrong with sitting down to take it off and putting your shoes (and or socks) on.  You just want to stay as much out of the way as possible as the transition area can be hectic.  If you can't watch a local race before your first to see what goes on in transitions you can find clips on youtube.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Current fatty with a goal to becoming a healthy Triathlete! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I will become a Triathlete in 2013!

Started by tri2iron
Views: 1013 Posts: 8

2012-11-10 6:13 AM tri2iron

New triathlete lofty goals

Started by celticbass1
Views: 910 Posts: 5

2012-01-07 8:22 AM celticbass1

Hi everyone - marathoner becoming a triathlete

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1140 Posts: 12

2008-09-26 5:42 PM skavoovie

Fatty Boom Batty!

Started by Juggernaut
Views: 946 Posts: 17

2005-05-08 8:04 PM Juggernaut

15 year old guy, Wanting to become a triathlete

Started by HHSFootballa
Views: 1644 Posts: 3

2003-08-19 4:28 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : geofftri
comments : 1
From overweight with heart problems to becoming a triathlete

date : December 2, 2010
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 8
The goal of this column is to provide a unique, first-hand account of the long and challenging "process" of trying to make it as a professional triathlete, a process that often remains unseen.
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : June 9, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
An easy, healthy hot meal you can quickly cook with many ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
date : November 4, 2008
Here is a great recipe to make a healthy pizza fit for a triathlete using thin crust, hummus, fresh vegetables, tomato sauce, lean meat and mozzarella cheese.

date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”
date : April 3, 2006
comments : 7
There are tons of great diets out there for people who eat meat, but I can’t find anything for vegetarians. I also find that when I eat healthy, I am hungry all the time.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.