General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Current fatty with a goal to becoming a healthy Triathlete! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-17 8:31 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Current fatty with a goal to becoming a healthy Triathlete!
So I attempted my first swim yesterday. Got to about 200 meters and I thought they were going to have to fish me out of the pool with a net lol. Mind you, I ran 5km before the swim. Definitely have some work to do on that end.

2013-11-19 8:00 AM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by GregDufour

So I attempted my first swim yesterday. Got to about 200 meters and I thought they were going to have to fish me out of the pool with a net lol. Mind you, I ran 5km before the swim. Definitely have some work to do on that end.

Lots of posters here on BT have had similar experiences. I though I was a good swimmer until I tried to complete some laps for tri training. 200 meters is pretty good! You only need 175 more for some of the Ontario tryatri events!
2013-11-19 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
You made it 8x farther than I did on my first swim attempt. Hang in there...be patient but tenaciously persistent and you'll get anywhere you want to go.
2013-11-19 1:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by GregDufour So I attempted my first swim yesterday. Got to about 200 meters and I thought they were going to have to fish me out of the pool with a net lol. Mind you, I ran 5km before the swim. Definitely have some work to do on that end.

That's a great start! Keep at it!

2013-11-21 4:40 AM
in reply to: moverby20

User image

windsor, Ontario
Lol I've noticed that since I changed my diet and started training that I've been hitting the washroom a ton, to the point where I'm scampering off the treadmill at the gym and making a mad dash to the restroom.
2013-11-26 1:58 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Got myself up to 20 minutes swimming, 35 minutes running and 35 minutes biking. Doing a 5km in December that I'm pretty excited for. It's an "Ugly Christmas Sweater 5KM". Should be fun!

2013-11-26 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Greg first congrats on making the decision to get back into shape. That's where it has to start.

Two years ago I made the same decision. I had two goals, to loose some weigh and get a sprint under my belt that year. I didn't use a plan instead focusing on finding an exercise routine that I could/would stick with. It was bike heavy for me because I enjoy that so much.

The second thing I did was modify my diet which is not the same as dieting. I have never been able to count calories and weigh food with any success. If it feels like I am depriving myself I won't stick with it. The two biggest things I did were very easy for me.

First, I did not drink any calories. That dropped a bunch of nutritionless calories out of my diet. The second thing was actually the biggest change I made and worked wonders. I learned to distinguish between being full and being satisfied. I stopped eating when I had had enough instead of cleaning the plate or feeling stuffed. Simple portion control without scales or charts.

I dropped 60 pounds in 10 months.

You can do this. Lean on the group here. You will not find a better group of people willing to help and share their knowledge. Read the posts and don't be afraid to ask questions. Anything you may want to know someone else here has been there and done that.

Good luck.
2013-11-26 11:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

windsor, Ontario
I've cut out pop and beer completely. I still take cream in my coffee, lol that's my only vice.

I changed my program a bit around. I was going running heavy, and I noticed that it was pretty hard on my knees (I'm still over 300 pounds), so I grabbed one f the plan on the site here and I'm greatly enjoying it. Run twice a week, swim twice and week and bike 3 times a week. I usually combine a swim and a bike/run so I get 2 rest days a week. Going to mix in some strength training in the new year. Actually have decided to mix in some jump rope to my routine. I used to box amateur and skipping was always a great warm up exercise for me.
My goal is to do 3 sprint triathlons this summer and do a bunch of 5-10km runs.

Edited by GregDufour 2013-11-26 11:55 PM
2013-11-29 12:15 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Was able to swim for 30 minutes straight today without stopping, mind you at a slow pace. Bought myself some goggles and that helped things. Plus I wasn't counting laps so I could just zone out and concentrate on my breathing.
2013-11-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4896240

User image

Connecticut
Welcome to the sport of Tri. I am a newbie myself and completed my 1st sprint in September. It was a blast and now I am hooked as so many have said " it can become addictive ". Regarding the wetsuit question, I rented one from wetsuit rental.com I couldnt say enough good things about the experience. They have a great system in place. The fit was perfect, they sent it about a week before my race (so I had time to practice in it,which I highly recommend) and they provide a return envelope to ship back in. They will credit you back some of the rental fee if you want to put it towards the purchase of the suit. I opted to keep my eyes open on line and eventually found a great deal on an xterra vortex. Good luck to you.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Current fatty with a goal to becoming a healthy Triathlete! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I will become a Triathlete in 2013!

Started by tri2iron
Views: 1013 Posts: 8

2012-11-10 6:13 AM tri2iron

New triathlete lofty goals

Started by celticbass1
Views: 908 Posts: 5

2012-01-07 8:22 AM celticbass1

Hi everyone - marathoner becoming a triathlete

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1138 Posts: 12

2008-09-26 5:42 PM skavoovie

Fatty Boom Batty!

Started by Juggernaut
Views: 944 Posts: 17

2005-05-08 8:04 PM Juggernaut

15 year old guy, Wanting to become a triathlete

Started by HHSFootballa
Views: 1642 Posts: 3

2003-08-19 4:28 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : geofftri
comments : 1
From overweight with heart problems to becoming a triathlete

date : December 2, 2010
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 8
The goal of this column is to provide a unique, first-hand account of the long and challenging "process" of trying to make it as a professional triathlete, a process that often remains unseen.
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : June 9, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
An easy, healthy hot meal you can quickly cook with many ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
date : November 4, 2008
Here is a great recipe to make a healthy pizza fit for a triathlete using thin crust, hummus, fresh vegetables, tomato sauce, lean meat and mozzarella cheese.

date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”
date : April 3, 2006
comments : 7
There are tons of great diets out there for people who eat meat, but I can’t find anything for vegetarians. I also find that when I eat healthy, I am hungry all the time.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.