General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mantras Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-11 6:08 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: Mantras
Heading back to where I said I'd never go this week. It's been 2.5 years but I'm back in the drink of mass starts etc. thinking about what I will write on my arms. So far the peace sign and CONTROL. What do you put there or in your head?

2013-11-11 3:37 PM
in reply to: phatknot

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Mantras

In my very first Ironman the last words I heard Mike Reilly say over the microphone before the boom of the cannon were, "There will be a lot of things that happen today that are out of your control, but the one thing you CAN control is your attitude." Before each race I make it a point to remind myself of that.

During the race itself repeating over and over in my head "Come on you stupid son of a b*tch" seems to work wonders for some reason.

2013-11-12 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
For you...Redline
2013-11-12 3:30 PM
in reply to: triburt

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
My arms for IMFL were "Relentless Forward Progress" & "Strong mind. Stronger legs."

Good luck this weekend!
2013-11-12 4:06 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
I do mostly sprints. So on my right hand between thumb and forefinger I have a smilie face (I have to remind myself that I do this for enjoyment and to not get a bad attitude if something goes wrong) and on my left hand I have ABP (always be pushing) to keep me focused on going hard the whole time and not letting up or letting my mind wander!
2013-11-13 1:18 PM

User image

Regular
Avondale Estates
Interesting topic. I've never written on myself, but I always think "Let's see what's possible". Is it possible to come out of the water feeling good about the swim? is it possible to maintain my target speed on the bike? Is it possible to negative split the run? I'm almost always surprised by what I learn is possible!

Phat - you might like the info below. Research (reported in the NY Times) indicates that telling yourself during exercise (called "motivational self talk") that you’re not as tired as you think you are could make that statement true:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/keep-repeating-this-workou...

Here is the original report and summary (which I condensed a bit for the non-scientists):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24121242

PURPOSE:
The psychobiological model of endurance performance proposes that perception of effort is the ultimate determinant of endurance performance. Therefore, any physiological or psychological factor affecting perception of effort will affect endurance performance. Accordingly this novel study investigated the effects of a frequently used psychological strategy, motivational self-talk (ST), on rating of perceived exertion (RPE) and endurance performance.

METHODS:
In a randomized between groups pre-test - post-test design, 24 participants performed two constant-load (80% peak power output) cycling time to exhaustion tests (TTE), punctuated by a two week ST intervention or a control phase.

CONCLUSION:
This study is the first to demonstrate that ST significantly reduces RPE and enhances endurance performance. The findings support the psychobiological model of endurance performance and illustrate that psychobiological interventions designed to specifically target favorable changes in perception of effort are beneficial to endurance performance. Consequently this psychobiological model offers an important and novel perspective for future research investigations.

- Kerry

2013-11-13 2:49 PM
in reply to: wkparker

User image

Elite
SE
thanks y'all! good stuff here.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mantras Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TOTW Mantra

Started by phatknot
Views: 1459 Posts: 21

2012-08-15 10:01 AM NatNegativeSplit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.