General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New IMAZ Registration Process Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-11 10:11 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: New IMAZ Registration Process

I got an email from WTC with the following changes to those wanting to sign up for next year...

• 2013 Athletes will be able to register as of Saturday, November 16th (the day before the race
  • Volunteers on site will be able to register for general registration starting at 8am November 18th
  • Online will open up ONLY FOR FOUNDATION SPOTS to "streamline the experience" 
  • If any general registration spots are still available after all race volunteers have signed up then they will be released to the online registration site

I'm not sure how I feel about the new process, but I guess they had to do something considering the rumours going around saying that there wouldn't be any online spots available at all?  

Thoughts?  

2013-11-11 10:23 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: New IMAZ Registration Process
Just replied to this in another thread. I think they are testing to see how the $1400 foundation slots sell first. I am guessing they are looking to raise the prices on IMFL and IMAZ since they sell within minutes. From a business move this a great move and they really can't lose out.

I think WTC is also expecting an on-site sellout and for entries to not be sold online.
2013-11-12 4:43 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

I agree that they are testing their price structure to see how much farther they can jam it in you before you walk away. While a capitalist myself, it sickens me that they cloak themselves in the "goodness" of charitable contributions in order to experiment with price structure this way.
2013-11-12 5:52 AM
in reply to: SeeVee

User image

Champion
MA

Taking advantage of peoples fears of not getting in to register is what I see them doing.  The whole idea that all the 4500 volunteers are going to register that has been floating around adds to the fear and is clearly not true as many volunteers are locals, elderly, kids, ect.

I wonder if they will offer the Race Ready package early with a 70.3 and IMAZ registration for normal price.

2013-11-12 6:26 AM

Veteran
Also a way to sell more charity slots, If they typically held 100 charity slots (guess) they might be able to pre sell 200 with the new registration process.
2013-11-12 8:45 AM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Elite

Agreed with above....just another money grab technique

2013-11-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I'm curious to see just how fast those foundation slots go especially if they are raising the price of entry for them.
2013-11-12 9:21 AM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Rover24

Also a way to sell more charity slots, If they typically held 100 charity slots (guess) they might be able to pre sell 200 with the new registration process.

I do know that they are trying to increase the awareness of the Ironman Foundation for next year, especially with the racing team. Maybe they don't have a cap on foundation slots and will see how many they sell?
2013-11-12 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by Rover24 Also a way to sell more charity slots, If they typically held 100 charity slots (guess) they might be able to pre sell 200 with the new registration process.
I do know that they are trying to increase the awareness of the Ironman Foundation for next year, especially with the racing team. Maybe they don't have a cap on foundation slots and will see how many they sell?

Interesting question, but there has to be a cap somewhere, right?  Though how many general registration and how many foundation spots are currently available, and how many of each are they willing to sell?  

I agree with Kathy, that they're absolutely playing on the fears of those that are feeling panicked about getting into the race.  

If this is a "tester" race to see what people are willing to pay to get into the race, I wonder what the fees will be for 2015?  

2013-11-12 10:50 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I got an email from WTC with the following changes to those wanting to sign up for next year...

• 2013 Athletes will be able to register as of Saturday, November 16th (the day before the race
  • Volunteers on site will be able to register for general registration starting at 8am November 18th
  • Online will open up ONLY FOR FOUNDATION SPOTS to "streamline the experience" 
  • If any general registration spots are still available after all race volunteers have signed up then they will be released to the online registration site

I'm not sure how I feel about the new process, but I guess they had to do something considering the rumours going around saying that there wouldn't be any online spots available at all?  

Thoughts?  

and this was the year I was going to try for it b/c my good friend moved to Phoenix.  THANKS WTC!!! bah!!!

2013-11-12 10:52 AM

User image

Elite

Years ago, when IMLP sold out on site for 2008 (that great year, right?? if you did it, you know what I mean) and then it was decided they had to reserve a set number of registrations for online.

So now I can't afford to take the days off to register (and fly there!) or the $1400 foundation slot, they have effectively priced me out of IM.

2013-11-12 9:57 PM
in reply to: SeeVee

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by SeeVee

I agree that they are testing their price structure to see how much farther they can jam it in you before you walk away. While a capitalist myself, it sickens me that they cloak themselves in the "goodness" of charitable contributions in order to experiment with price structure this way.

x2
2013-11-12 10:01 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by turtlegirl

Years ago, when IMLP sold out on site for 2008 (that great year, right?? if you did it, you know what I mean) and then it was decided they had to reserve a set number of registrations for online.

So now I can't afford to take the days off to register (and fly there!) or the $1400 foundation slot, they have effectively priced me out of IM.

I too am done with IM if this is the future. Time to move on to something less 'capitalistic' -- using my nice words.
2013-11-13 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-11-13 10:52 AM
2013-11-13 11:01 AM
in reply to: Raansnel

2013-11-13 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Raansnel

I too am done with IM if this is the future. Time to move on to something less 'capitalistic' -- using my nice words.

As far as I can tell, nothing has really changed about how the WTC is pricing their races. It's simply the demand has gone up, thus people have a really hard time getting a general registration entry. If you want to be upset at anyone...be either upset at your fellow triathletes who are willing to sign up on site or be mad at yourself for not being willing to do so.

2013-11-13 12:45 PM

Elite
Cleveland

It seems that it won't be long before the hardest part of doing an IM will be just getting a slot.

2013-11-13 12:53 PM
in reply to: cgregg

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cgregg

It seems that it won't be long before the hardest part of doing an IM will be just getting a slot.

Maybe for some specific ones, but there are a number of others to do. Plenty realize there are numerous legit marathons outside of Chicago, New York, and Boston.

2013-11-13 1:08 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

As far as I can tell, nothing has really changed about how the WTC is pricing their races. It's simply the demand has gone up, thus people have a really hard time getting a general registration entry. If you want to be upset at anyone...be either upset at your fellow triathletes who are willing to sign up on site or be mad at yourself for not being willing to do so.

I agree, I don't think WTC is the bad guy here, they're adjusting their practices to meet the demand at this particular race.  To me, it's going to be interesting to see which races will adopt this new registration and which ones won't.  We know that IMAZ is, and I would think IMFL might be next year and possibly IMLP will change because they typically sell out so quickly, but for IMCdA or Louisville, I don't see it happening as the demand just isn't there.  

Just because IMAZ sells out, doesn't mean that ALL WTC races will use this model, and there are more and more non-WTC IM distance races popping up.  So while THIS race might not be the best option for some people, there will always be others to sign up for.  

2013-11-13 1:13 PM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Check my post a couple weeks ago on WTC IM's that are sold out. PLENTY of races are still open for general registration: IMTX, IMCDA, IMLou,IM Tahoe, or you can go south to IM Los Cabos, or north to IM Canada for a nice destination.

Not speaking to you specifically but in general I don't understand why triathletes get so upset about the high price. BMW's are nice but they are not for everyone...
2013-11-13 1:20 PM

Check my post a couple weeks ago on WTC IM's that are sold out. PLENTY of races are still open for general registration: IMTX, IMCDA, IMLou,IM Tahoe, or you can go south to IM Los Cabos, or north to IM Canada for a nice destination.

Not speaking to you specifically but in general I don't understand why triathletes get so upset about the high price. BMW's are nice but they are not for everyone...

I also don't understand why some people get upset that a company makes decisions to maximize profits? Triathlon is not a right, it's a privilege. Some of us are not priviliged enough to participate in all the races we wish to do. Myself included.

2013-11-13 1:32 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Check my post a couple weeks ago on WTC IM's that are sold out. PLENTY of races are still open for general registration: IMTX, IMCDA, IMLou,IM Tahoe, or you can go south to IM Los Cabos, or north to IM Canada for a nice destination. Not speaking to you specifically but in general I don't understand why triathletes get so upset about the high price. BMW's are nice but they are not for everyone...
I also don't understand why some people get upset that a company makes decisions to maximize profits? Triathlon is not a right, it's a privilege. Some of us are not priviliged enough to participate in all the races we wish to do. Myself included.

The prestige of the IM brand seems to be so up there as well. I know that there are other reasons people to their races too, but this matters in some way that it's more "official" to them. And probably to many more who don't realize how much it does to them or who don't want to admit it to themselves. Running this or that marathon doesn't have anywhere near this type of decisiveness. Sure Boston may to more of an extent than others, but it's by qualification. Not something anyone can sign up for. For the rest, it's much more that you did a marathon or you didn't. There is no question whether it was actually a Marathon.

2013-11-13 2:10 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite

Originally posted by Fred D

. Aren't there other IMs that don't sell out on site? Both WTC and non WTC events? I agree that they probably have in essence priced Florida and Arizona out of range for some if you can't volunteer, but are all other IMs a no go? Edit imlp probably will also follow the same process but I think it takes a little longer to sell out?
\

Yes, I've done Louisville 2x, IMLP once, and Chesapeakeman this year.  I probably will not do another non branded IM. I like to have the experience of lots of folks around me (the camaraderie if you will).  Chessie was lacking. I draw my strength from my fellow athletes. If Rev 3 got up to maybe 1000 athletes, then we're talking, but at the 300 person point, you're basically solo.

Florida and Arizona were on my list of to-do races, but they no longer look feasible. Spring races are just too early, and September for a teacher just doesn't work for travel IM.   Leaves me with IMLP, IMCDA, IMLOO, IMMT, and IMCoz, the last of which may be where I'll go.  However, I have a feeling the races I just mentioned might now fill up earlier b/c I know there are other folks in the same camp as I am (only will do races when school isn't in session).

So thats where my head's at. Yes, there are still races for me to do, but I just don't think its fair that I shouldn't have any chance at certain races.  I would be happy if they left 500 spots or so just to general online entry.

2013-11-13 3:19 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2013-11-13 3:20 PM
2013-11-13 3:29 PM
in reply to: Fred D

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New IMAZ Registration Process Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

New Upload Process

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1911 Posts: 23

2012-01-03 11:16 PM cwpeters

New registration process for IM events

Started by sax
Views: 1246 Posts: 6

2008-10-14 3:10 PM Daremo

New IMAZ date???

Started by dgillen
Views: 1684 Posts: 23

2007-07-18 11:58 AM johnmck

REMINDER - IMAZ Registration info tomorrow!

Started by OldAg92
Views: 1206 Posts: 15

2006-04-17 8:28 PM thegomer

Triathlon Training Process Diagram

Started by Motivated
Views: 989 Posts: 9

2006-02-02 1:05 PM turqy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : April 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
By incorporating progressive, gradual, and quantifiable training, you will not only get faster, you will reduce your risk of injury.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!
date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types

date : August 31, 2004
GILFORD, New Hampshire (August 23, 2004) – After thunderous, heavy rains on Saturday challenged sprint triathletes to middle-distance-like efforts, Sunday’s middle-distance Timberman Triathlon (1.9 km