General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip oversuse? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-12 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Hip oversuse?
I keep getting hip achiness (mostly in groin). My glute also gets a tight feeling right at the end of the butt bone. Its not a sharp pain and it doesn't hurt to walk/run with both groin and glute. But it aches from time to time. I usually get it after a race. For example, this time it was after running a 5k one week after running a marathon. I was fine after the marathon but it came on the next day after the 5k. I was running 80mpw before the marathon. The other time was after a 10 miler in March then doing a track workout a few days later. I had to take it easy running for 2-3 weeks (only ran 2-3 times) and it slowly went away.

I can hop on it no problem. The only symptom I have running is my outside hip gets tight and I feel out of balance. But this goes away after 2 miles or so.

I did get a massage before the marathon and my pelvis was out of alignment. So maybe its from this? The 5K had some steep hills so maybe I knocked it out and its pulling on my muscles. But its still bothering me 1.5 weeks later. Its not getting better but not getting worse either.

Maybe its just my body telling me to rest. Any thoughts?

I should mention I didn't rest at all after the marathon. I know pretty stupid.

My other thought was stress fracture but I can't imagine that I could just take a few weeks off (like I did in March and last November) and go back to running 50+ mpw for 6 months. Hip labral tear? Same thing....I can't imagine I could pull this off. I did see a ortho doc in March about it and he didn't think it was a labral tear based on my range of motion and symptoms. He thought it was a inflammed IT band or high hamstring tendonitis. But most of my symptoms have been in the hip flexor region.

2013-11-12 10:56 AM
in reply to: MRDAVIDALEXANDER

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Hip oversuse?
Google 'gluteus medius running pain.'

I had never heard of it until after IMLT when I went to an ART practitioner. Mine was caused by speed walking the entire marathon with broken toes, which completely altered my gait. When I read up on it, it all made sense. Basically its origin is in tight hammies(i had been battling this for monthes prior to Tahoe) then the altered gait/speed walking pretty much shifted the stress from the super tight hammie to the gluteus medius which was not meant to handle an altered gait. Foam rolling to get everything loosened up is key. Strengthening the glutes is also a biggie.
2013-11-12 1:53 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by LittleCat

Google 'gluteus medius running pain.'

I had never heard of it until after IMLT when I went to an ART practitioner. Mine was caused by speed walking the entire marathon with broken toes, which completely altered my gait. When I read up on it, it all made sense. Basically its origin is in tight hammies(i had been battling this for monthes prior to Tahoe) then the altered gait/speed walking pretty much shifted the stress from the super tight hammie to the gluteus medius which was not meant to handle an altered gait. Foam rolling to get everything loosened up is key. Strengthening the glutes is also a biggie.

What were your symptoms?
2013-11-12 2:46 PM
in reply to: MRDAVIDALEXANDER

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
My hamstring right below my butt was really sore going up hills or late in long runs. When the gluteus medius blew up I felt like I was being stabbed in the hip. If I dig in it with my thumb its sore. It also radiated in to my lower back.
2013-11-12 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4896993

User image

Extreme Veteran
I guess I have some similar symptoms. I guess I should really back off the run for a few weeks to see what happens.
2013-11-12 10:08 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Suzanne, what areas did you focus your rolling on? That hamstring/glute junction is so complex and ties to so many different things it is tough to know where to spend the time.

2013-11-13 4:28 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
The main spot for me is behind and below the top of my hip bone. Roll around in that are with a roller or a ball, if it isnt happy you will definitly notice it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip oversuse? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hip Pain--Replace run with bike tomorrow?

Started by jtat17
Views: 939 Posts: 5

2005-03-23 11:26 AM jtat17

hip pain

Started by liz1822
Views: 933 Posts: 5

2004-06-21 12:17 PM liz1822

Hip

Started by bootygirl
Views: 684 Posts: 5

2004-04-21 11:08 PM bootygirl

Hip Help

Started by BlueRover
Views: 538 Posts: 3

2004-03-03 9:39 AM TriMom217

puzzling hip noises

Started by wrybosome
Views: 871 Posts: 6

2004-02-24 9:53 PM Rojofish
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.

date : November 21, 2012
I am experiencing hip flexor pain. I hurt it two weeks ago during a race and it's bothered me ever since. Do you have suggestions on how to prevent problems or how to cure it?
date : April 14, 2010
comments : 1
I decided that, after having a new hip put in 11 months ago, I needed a new lifestyle. Just wondering if there's anything that I should know about-especially for the running and biking.

date : May 12, 2008
During a "power yoga" session I noticed pain with hip adduction/internal rotation. Running and biking don't seem to bother it, as long as I don't push it. I still have achy pain with walking.
date : January 14, 2008
I have noticed an occasional pain in my left hip flexor. The pain is most noticeable when running uphill. Is there a way to fix the problem without taking time off from training?

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.
date : April 11, 2007
The common conditions seen would be: a femoral neck stress fracture, a hip flexor tendonitis, or a hip joint cartilage problem such as a labral tear or arthritis of the hip joint.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.