General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I mad ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-13 4:25 PM

Subject: Am I mad ?
Never done a Tri before but I've entered IM Bolton next year. I will obviously do other events in prep for the main event and have a good training plan which I'm sticking to. Swimming wise I'm crap at mo with about 10 lengths my max without stopping, but loads have told me that it is more than possible if I get stuck into the training.
Is there anybody else out there like me ?

2013-11-14 12:14 AM
in reply to: TheHat

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Subject: RE: Am I mad ?
Mad? No, in for a run ride? Yep. Find a good plan and follow it you will be fine. Most plans involve a 70.3 at some point before the full, use it as a learning experience and enjoy
2013-11-25 12:09 AM
in reply to: Sdboy2

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So a year is enough time to get into shape for an IM. You really need to get your swim in place though or the rest of the race doesn't matter. You have no logs so have no idea of your base, past training etc. Do not underestimate what it takes to complete an IM. Get your base up now so you can slide into a 30 week IM training plan.
2013-11-25 1:21 AM
in reply to: TheHat

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
With the right focus and training plan then yes it is possible. In my experieince the swim distance creeps up quicker than the bike - if I was doing my 1st again I'd probably take a one session off my swim schedule and add it to the bike especially earlier in the plan.
IM Bolton is end August if I'm correct - would mean a 20wk plan would start around the end of March - I'd use the time between now and then to get comfortable with the frequency of the training - repeating the scheduel of the first 3 wks of the plan over and over again withthe aim to be comfortably able to do the fist week of the plan by the time it starts. Have a look at the bike course profile and try and replecate it as much as possible in training especially from wk 10 onwards. Good luck with it all - keep us updated with how your getting on!
2013-12-22 5:46 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Expert
Western WI
Originally posted by Baowolf

So a year is enough time to get into shape for an IM. You really need to get your swim in place though or the rest of the race doesn't matter. You have no logs so have no idea of your base, past training etc. Do not underestimate what it takes to complete an IM. Get your base up now so you can slide into a 30 week IM training plan.

This is right on. ^^^

I was just like you, signed up for an IM having never done a tri or swam a lap in my life. But I had a strong cycling history and a good fitness base. I'm still in the sport 5 years later and have finished 4 IMs with 2 on tap for '14. Some people jump right in to an IM, some people take years to build up to it. Neither is wrong. Just be realistic knowing your fitness and commitment levels and be consistent with your training! Have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I mad ? Rss Feed