General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adding another run...how long? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-14 12:19 PM

User image

New user
Sylvania
Subject: Adding another run...how long?
I have been reading all the running posts and now know I need to add another run to my plan. Currently I have three runs per week. Do I add a short or medium length? I am only building at this point, so no speed until after January.
Big goals for the year include finishing American Triple T and competing at Grand Rapids 70.3 and AG Nats in Milwaukee.
Thank you for any insight.

2013-11-14 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Adding another run...how long?
When adding another run in the week, be mindful of your total mileage-- you don't want to add more than about 10% of your total mileage. Sometimes you can get away with exceeding this if you're starting at very low mileage, but I wouldn't add more than about 20 minutes if that's more than 10%.

Some people add another day simply by spreading their existing mileage over the new number of days-- so for example if you're running 20 miles in 3 days, take that and spread it over 4 days to start. Then build from there. Or you could simply add one more short run.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-11-14 12:38 PM
2013-11-14 12:45 PM
in reply to: glayher

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

How do your current three runs per week break down?

I'm currently doing four runs per week as 3 x 30-45 minutes and one long run.  I'm getting ready for a HM early next year, so I'll be building the long run up to somewhere around 12-14 miles.  I also try to make one of the three shorter runs a tempo run. 

I've been using the McMillan pace calculators to determine the paces for long runs and tempo runs.  The other runs are pretty much done by RPE at a comfortable aerobic pace.

The big thing for me is just being consistent.  I saw some good improvement over the past year by just going from three to four runs per week, with the same average length of run. 

Mark 

2013-11-14 1:14 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by jennifer_runs When adding another run in the week, be mindful of your total mileage-- you don't want to add more than about 10% of your total mileage. Sometimes you can get away with exceeding this if you're starting at very low mileage, but I wouldn't add more than about 20 minutes if that's more than 10%. Some people add another day simply by spreading their existing mileage over the new number of days-- so for example if you're running 20 miles in 3 days, take that and spread it over 4 days to start. Then build from there. Or you could simply add one more short run.

This.  Add a very short run or (better) divide your current mileage over 4 (or 5 or 6) days.  This will tend to have effect of making you do seemingly silly-short runs.  Do them anyway.  Build them gradually over time.

2013-11-14 1:56 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by jennifer_runs When adding another run in the week, be mindful of your total mileage-- you don't want to add more than about 10% of your total mileage. Sometimes you can get away with exceeding this if you're starting at very low mileage, but I wouldn't add more than about 20 minutes if that's more than 10%. Some people add another day simply by spreading their existing mileage over the new number of days-- so for example if you're running 20 miles in 3 days, take that and spread it over 4 days to start. Then build from there. Or you could simply add one more short run.

This.  Add a very short run or (better) divide your current mileage over 4 (or 5 or 6) days.  This will tend to have effect of making you do seemingly silly-short runs.  Do them anyway.  Build them gradually over time.

x3. Safest way to add more frequency is to take your current mileage and spread it over more days, then increase the distance per runs (and overall volume) slowly over time. You don't have to do it that way, it's just the safest way to do it.
2013-11-14 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4898623

User image

New user
Sylvania
Thanks to everyone for the great advise. I was intimidated by adding another day but if I can spread the mileage out it seems much less scary. I will try this and see how it works out.
I currently run a medium run on Tuesday, a short Thursday and with Saturday being the long run. The other days are bike (3x) and swim (2x). I don't get all of these in every week but I try hard to do at least one per day with Sunday off.

2013-11-14 6:29 PM
in reply to: glayher

User image

Originally posted by glayher

Thanks to everyone for the great advise. I was intimidated by adding another day but if I can spread the mileage out it seems much less scary. I will try this and see how it works out.
I currently run a medium run on Tuesday, a short Thursday and with Saturday being the long run. The other days are bike (3x) and swim (2x). I don't get all of these in every week but I try hard to do at least one per day with Sunday off.

Don't be scared- running is fun. Just keep it nice and relaxed.

I think most of us could run way more than we do simply by keeping most of the running at a relaxed pace. We get caught up on running fast sometimes (and monitoring pace and distance), but consistency is really the most important thing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adding another run...how long? Rss Feed