General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Road Base Build Programs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-15 3:35 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Trainer Road Base Build Programs
Has anyone ever just used one of the trainer road workout programs? I've been following one of the base building programs so it focuses primarily on riding aerobically. The current one I'm on has two 1-hour long rides and the third is a 2-hour long session.
They're not terribly difficult, I mean I'm sweating, but never pushing myself compared to the sufferfest vid's I've followed. I'm just wondering if I'd be just better off using the SF video's I've bought instead of following this plan. The video's I have are Angels, Downward Spiral, Fight Club, and Local Hero.

I'm a decent cyclist, my last HIM I had a 2:37 bike split, so I think I'm fairly strong there, and based on that feel that maybe I should be pushing harder on the trainer rather than just doing these relatively easy trainer rides. Believe me, it's really easy to just stick with the TR workouts because they're a lot easier to make myself do than the sufferfest vids. I suppose I'm hoping that maybe some of you have seen big improvements by using the base workouts, and I can avoid the sufferfest for now

so tell me, to suffer or not to???

2013-11-15 4:49 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Trainer Road Base Build Programs
I have done some of the Trainer Road plans last winter and had great results this past year (Intermediate Base I, II & Build I, II). If you've started following their brand new Traditional Base I, II, III plan - I would say first thing you should do is re-test your FTP if you haven't done that recently. That will ensure you've got a good baseline set for all of the upcoming work. From that point on it's somewhat up to who's training philosophy you follow.

This year I'm putting my faith in Joe Friel ("Your Best Triathlon" book) & the barryP running plan (search this forum or others if you are looking for more info on that). Both basically put a heavy emphasis on lots of easy work for many months in your "Base" phases of training. Then about 12 wks out from your target race is where you really start to put the hurt on for the "Build" sections. Trainer Road's new Base & Build plans work around the same idea... lots of time spent early on at an "easy" pace... then brutal interval work later on in the late winter early spring in anticipation of your target race.

There are other philosophies out there - some follow the idea of doing the "Build" phase stuff first in the winter months, then do the "Base" work in the spring. It's really up to you.

Good luck!

2013-11-15 5:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is why I think it’s the wrong path but it’s a personal opinion.

First of all, to improve you have to put the right load on your body. Load is not measured in hours. It’s measured by a combination of time and intensity. Even you are doing your rides at 70% of your threshold (say IM pace), you are putting 50TSS points per hour. If you are doing a Sufferfest, you are probably putting 80+ per hour. So if you need 300 per week to improve or maintain that’s 6hours in one case versus 3.5 in the hour. 6 hours on a trainer, in the winter is a long long time. If you only do 3 hours at that pace, you are not improving.

Second, you want to do all kinds of work during the year. VO2, tempo, threshold, sweet spot….the closer to your race, the more race specific you want to be. So winter, which is the furthest from your race is the best to do the stuff least specific to your race. VO2, Threshold ? Yep. And back to point 1, you can do it in few hours on that trainer we all hate.

If you are doing 12 hours of Z2 on the trainer good for you. If you are doing 3, chances are you will see no improvement and some loss of fitness.

Fewer hours, more intensity on the trainer. Use the extra hours to build a solid run base. When the roads get dry, reduce the run and up the bike with more hours at more race specific paces.

Again…..just an opinion and what has worked for me.

Edited by marcag 2013-11-15 5:37 PM
2013-11-15 5:44 PM
in reply to: marcag

The base plans are good for what they are.

There are conveniently various plans of different TSS, so you should find a volume that works for you.

I don't think there's any harm whatsoever in doing these long rides at Z2 or lowZ3; in fact, I subscribe to the Friel philosophy that as long as you put in the requisite volume, you will get the bulk of your improvements on these rides. Of course, this does mean you'll be pushing the hours on the trainer.

As race day gets nearer, I'll add more of the threshold paced intervals, but for sure I experience continued improvement with nothing but Z2-3 aerobic riding with increasing volume.

One thing - a lot of people who criticize this approach on the trainer have never actually DONE the requisite 2-3+ hr trainer workouts at the right power zones. 65-75% of FTP sounds like a piece of cake, until you actually try to hold it for 3 hours or more. If you haven't done it regularly, I guarantee you'll be suffering a good amount even if your HR isn't super high and you'll be wishing it would end.
2013-11-15 6:11 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by yazmaster The base plans are good for what they are. There are conveniently various plans of different TSS, so you should find a volume that works for you. I don't think there's any harm whatsoever in doing these long rides at Z2 or lowZ3; in fact, I subscribe to the Friel philosophy that as long as you put in the requisite volume, you will get the bulk of your improvements on these rides. Of course, this does mean you'll be pushing the hours on the trainer. As race day gets nearer, I'll add more of the threshold paced intervals, but for sure I experience continued improvement with nothing but Z2-3 aerobic riding with increasing volume. One thing - a lot of people who criticize this approach on the trainer have never actually DONE the requisite 2-3+ hr trainer workouts at the right power zones. 65-75% of FTP sounds like a piece of cake, until you actually try to hold it for 3 hours or more. If you haven't done it regularly, I guarantee you'll be suffering a good amount even if your HR isn't super high and you'll be wishing it would end.

I have, do it fairly regular (so does another in this discussion) and don't find it that difficult. Can't remember a couple hours at that effort being hard, really. The hard part is not being bored and keeping the seat from getting too sore. There is nothing that develops at the lower intensity that doesn't also develop at least as well a bit higher up. So when one has the opportunity, go ahead and ride harder. Do try to make the opportunities to balance out harder & easier work though. Riding easy all the time is more for someone just starting out with working out or possibly someone with massive amounts of time and wants to use it. This second part is kind of rare in age groupers. This does not mean that one will not improve by only riding easier, but they will improve more and do so more quickly with some more intensity.

2013-11-15 6:14 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Agree with Marc; for an athlete who has some experience on the bike, unless you have boatloads of time and desire to sit on the trainer for 10 hours per week, you need to add intensity as part of the equation. L2 is great if you have the time to do lots of it but few amateur athletes do and they need to increase training stress with harder workouts.

Shane

2013-11-15 6:20 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by yazmaster

One thing - a lot of people who criticize this approach on the trainer have never actually DONE the requisite 2-3+ hr trainer workouts at the right power zones. 65-75% of FTP sounds like a piece of cake, until you actually try to hold it for 3 hours or more. If you haven't done it regularly, I guarantee you'll be suffering a good amount even if your HR isn't super high and you'll be wishing it would end.

If 3 hours at 65-75% of FTP are not fairly easy, I would guess that FTP is estimated too high (which is almost a certainly with a shorter test like the 8 minute one many seem to employ).

You should be able to ride at 75-80% of FTP for 2.5-3 hours and still have a good half marathon off the bike so it shouldn't be very hard.

Shane
2013-11-15 6:41 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

As Marc mentioned, it basically boils down to TSS. If you want to improve, you have to sustain a TSS higher than you were before. How you accomplish that is up to you.

If your goal is to average 300 TSS a week over your build period, but your current plan only has you getting 240 TSS per week, then you need to increase time and/or intensity.

And obviously, the more accurate your FTP estimate, the more accurate your TSS numbers will be...so it's important to either test frequently, or do some workouts that are good predictors of movement in FTP.

Right now all I'm doing is riding. Commuting to work daily, and riding on the weekend. My power profile has a lot of Z2 riding, but my TSS is still up where I want it. I still throw in harder efforts when possible, but the nature of my commute forces me to stay in Z2 for most of the ride to be safe. Not that it would matter though...because there is no way I could ride 13+ hours a week without spending a good portion of time in Z2. If I was riding more like 7-9 hours a week and wanted to achieve the same TSS as I am now...I would need less time in Z2.
2013-11-16 5:03 AM

Originally posted by gsmacleod

If 3 hours at 65-75% of FTP are not fairly easy, I would guess that FTP is estimated too high (which is almost a certainly with a shorter test like the 8 minute one many seem to employ).

You should be able to ride at 75-80% of FTP for 2.5-3 hours and still have a good half marathon off the bike so it shouldn't be very hard.

Shane

75% FTP for 2.5-3hrs for a race week with low training TSS/run volume during the week - piece of cake.

75% FTP for 2.5-3hrs when you're putting up a lot of other running/cycling in the week = hard, because youre legs will be fatigued from the cumulative mileage of the week, even if your HR doesn't get particularly high during these workouts. ESPECIALLY if you're in a build endurance mode where you're already pushing past your typical boundaries of training load, which is what it usually takes to actually improve using these Z2 efforts.

I also disagree that am amateur athlete would need 9 hours of Z2 riding on the trainer to benefit. I'm definitely a FOP cyclist and triathlete and I can definitely tbenefit from 5-6 hrs on the bike nearly all at Z2 if it's done on the trainer where it's all nonstop cycling with no coasting. (Outdoors, it takes longer due to the stops/coasting.) Sure, I have to sharpen/add to that in the few months prior to race day, but otherwise, that's easily enough bike volume for HIM base training for me.

Note as well that when I say Z2 I really mean Z2, by power roughly 70-80% FTP, by powermeter. I do not mean easy riding by feel. Again, if you haven't done this type of effort on a trainer with strict power/virtualpower, it's very, very easy to think you're maintaining Z2 power but have sunk down to z1 in the 2nd or 3rd hour of trainer rides if you truly are in a building type training week. As said above, if you're upping the TSS, it'll feel hard at some point matter how you're getting it.

Edited by yazmaster 2013-11-16 5:30 AM
2013-11-16 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I also disagree that am amateur athlete would need 9 hours of Z2 riding on the trainer to benefit. I'm definitely a FOP cyclist and triathlete and I can definitely tbenefit from 5-6 hrs on the bike nearly all at Z2 if it's done on the trainer where it's all nonstop cycling with no coasting. (Outdoors, it takes longer due to the stops/coasting.) Sure, I have to sharpen/add to that in the few months prior to race day, but otherwise, that's easily enough bike volume for HIM base training for me.

I agree that 9hours is not needed. As I said in my original post, 6hours is enough to maintain maybe marginally improve

I am not an FOP cyclist although I do alright as an all around triathlete. My bike is my weakness but it has improved, mostly by listening to the top guys. And they all say the same thing for winter training.

This is a post from Paulo who is one of the top coaches in the biz. For those that don't know who he is, google it. It's worth it.
His comments were echoed by other top coaches in the biz

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4160618;search_string=s...

Quotes from that post :
"For cycling training with limited time, it's a good idea to maximize training load with your rides, while at the same time not being too carried away with hitting specific effort goals."

But especially
"This block of training shouldn't be used more than 8 weeks in a row. After 6-8 weeks, it's time to do something else that will build on the adaptations induced by this particular program."

I read that as "doing the same thing over and over, in season, out of season, limits the progress you will make"

That is some of the logic of the post I made above.

By the way, to me "spirited rides" = sufferfest angels :-)

2013-11-16 8:31 AM

I'll be pretty impressed with AGer who can hold near-FTP for 6 hrs per week on average.

The vast majority will still improve, and significantly, if most of those 6 hrs are Z2 continuous indoor nonstop riding, and maybe an hour if needed near FTP at some point. Near race day, can slightly increase FTP time.

Even riding 3 total hours at FTP per week is very hard.

And again, I'm referring to indoor training hours. When I ride outdoors, on hilly rides, the amount of coasting on curvy descents as well as intermittent stoplights etc necessarily increases the amt of training time, significantly. Indoor training with power/virtualpower is very efficient in contrast if you're selecting the right workouts and sticking to the power targets.

Edited by yazmaster 2013-11-16 8:33 AM

2013-11-16 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'll be pretty impressed with AGer who can hold near-FTP for 6 hrs per week on average.

I don't think anyone suggested that 6hrs @FTP is needed. That would be 600 TSS points.

let's say half of that is needed ie 300 points....just for discussion

You can do that 300 in 6 hours at 75% or you can inject intervals, spend less time on the dreaded drainer, get better adaptations and spend that extra time elsewhere.

2013-11-16 9:42 AM

User image

As Marc mentioned, when someone suggests you ride harder, it's not meant to say you have to spend 100% of your time in sweet spot power levels or above. If I were to suggest the following 3 workouts, it would be as described.

#1 - 60 minutes focused on VO2. 15 minute warm up mostly Z1-Z2 with a few short bursts. 35 minute main set as 4x5' at VO2 with 5' recovery between and 15 minute cool down. Total TSS of around 80, and only a total of 20' really focused above Z2. The other 40' is Z2 or lower.

#2 - 60 minutes focused on Threshold. 15' warm up mostly Z1-Z2 with a few short bursts. 35' main set as 2x15' at Threshold with 5' recovery between and 15' cool down. Total TSS of around 80 again, and only 30' focused above Z2.

#3 - 2.5 hour workout focused on sweet spot. 20' warm up, 3x30' at sweet spot with 5' recovery in between, 2x5' at threshold with 3' recovery, and 15' cool down. Total TSS around 160 and only 100' above Z2.

So yes, if you want to break it down, harder riding doesn't mean that you're riding harder all the time. And while I agree you can get a more efficient workout on the trainer due to less coasting, if you stay in Z2 the whole time you're still going to spend more net time on the trainer to get the same TSS. Adding variability in your ride, assuming you ride harder, creates more TSS. If it didn't, then we wouldn't recommend that riding steady at the same power effort during race day was a more efficient way to conserve energy.

Edited by Jason N 2013-11-16 9:43 AM
2013-11-16 9:45 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by yazmaster I'll be pretty impressed with AGer who can hold near-FTP for 6 hrs per week on average.
I don't think anyone suggested that 6hrs @FTP is needed. That would be 600 TSS points. let's say half of that is needed ie 300 points....just for discussion You can do that 300 in 6 hours at 75% or you can inject intervals, spend less time on the dreaded drainer, get better adaptations and spend that extra time elsewhere.

Right, no one is suggesting 100% FTP for all of any amount ridden during the week. The point was to ride above Z2 at least some of the time. Maybe most, depending on how much time one has and how hard one wants to push. There is a good deal of space in between the 65-75% and 100% to ride at. And sure, doing loads of riding in that lower range can make one tired, but one can quickly advance beyond that when only riding a few times a week. Few age groupers are riding enough for a couple times a week for a couple hours at a time to be a substantial load. Just getting faster isn't necessarily the only objective, that would be making the best use of time. And to make better use of time it's quite often better to push the pace.

2013-11-16 10:42 AM

TSS is TSS either way you get it.

If you have problems putting on the hours on the trainer to get your 300 TSS, it won't matter if you're getting it in shorter VO2 bursts, sweet spot intervals, etc.

My point again was that if you're pushing up your TSS it's gonna feel hard at some point. Maybe not necessarily air-sucking VO2-like hard, but your legs will definitely feel it. It definitely doesn't feel 'pretty easy' as some have suggested above if you're indeed pushing up your TSS total volume from week to week.

And again, on the trainer, you can easily get 200-300 TSS in 6 hours in Z2 - lowz2 in 6 hrs. You don't need inordinate amounts of time as also suggested above, or be required to throw down near-FTP intervals in the middle of it. If you can, though, more power to you!

I just busted out a 2hr30min trainer ride early this AM, and I'll say fore sure I would not have ben able to do a FTP interval in the end of it.

Edited by yazmaster 2013-11-16 10:43 AM
2013-11-16 3:48 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by yazmaster TSS is TSS either way you get it. If you have problems putting on the hours on the trainer to get your 300 TSS, it won't matter if you're getting it in shorter VO2 bursts, sweet spot intervals, etc.  

I wouldn't go so far as to say it won't matter as many would interpret that as "not at all". Generally everyone is saying to get a lot of TSS though.

My point again was that if you're pushing up your TSS it's gonna feel hard at some point. Maybe not necessarily air-sucking VO2-like hard, but your legs will definitely feel it. It definitely doesn't feel 'pretty easy' as some have suggested above if you're indeed pushing up your TSS total volume from week to week.  

Yes, if you have a high training load going on, rides like you're suggesting could feel a bit more difficult to do. But the amount of TSS you're suggesting is not that substantial. At first it might seem like that, but not for too long if values used are accurate. That's not to say one can't improve on that amount, however. Quite a few on the site would see some improvement if they could put in the suggested load every week for some time. Think everyone posting would agree to consistency over time.

And again, on the trainer, you can easily get 200-300 TSS in 6 hours in Z2 - lowz2 in 6 hrs. You don't need inordinate amounts of time as also suggested above, or be required to throw down near-FTP intervals in the middle of it. If you can, though, more power to you! 

Whether 6 hrs is a lot or a little to fit in depends on the person who has to do it. For many, that would mean 10 hrs of training a week or just over when considering the swim & run training as well. This higher than normal average throughout the year. And again, many would likely see gains by riding this much very consistently (which everyone likely agrees on), however, that does not mean one can not achieve more gains by riding harder in that time. I don't know why all intervals have to be FTP or bust. There are numerous ways to add more stress. Many have to add in more intensity as it's way more likely that their schedule will have something like 2 x 1 hr rides in the week plus 1.5-2 hrs on the weekend for more regular training. And to the bolded, well yeah, that's the idea! 

I just busted out a 2hr30min trainer ride early this AM, and I'll say fore sure I would not have ben able to do a FTP interval in the end of it.

I rode 2:45 on the trainer this morning with 15', 20', 20' just over 90%, 8' just under 100%, and 45' right about 90%. Yes, I was certainly working quite well throughout this ride. TSS: 199. What are you considering to be an "FTP interval"? The 65-75% mentioned earlier is Ironman intensity. I know the trainer is a bit harder on you than the roads, but one expects to ride like 6 hrs in that range and then go run for awhile.

2013-11-16 5:23 PM

Yes, it likely depends on your overall training load and how acclimated you are to it.

Right now, for me 6 hrs of cycling on the trainer is a fair amount, at around 300-350TSS.

I could do the workout you did when I'm in race shape, but definitely not now.

Either way, I would consider 200TSS in a single ride a hard effort, no matter what the intensity. That's was in the range of at least one high level pros reporting what their race effort IM TSS score was at Kona (I think it was low 200s). Sure, these guys are good enough to run a fast marathon afterwards, but you'd better believe they were working hard on the bike, especially this year for the men. I definitely would not characterize that as an easy or relaxed effort, even if done at 65% FTP. It's not a killer for sure, but it's going to be hard enough that you'll be really hoping it's over near the end.

Edited by yazmaster 2013-11-16 5:40 PM
2013-11-16 5:54 PM

User image

Yes, it likely depends on your overall training load and how acclimated you are to it.

Right now, for me 6 hrs of cycling on the trainer is a fair amount, at around 300-350TSS.

I could do the workout you did when I'm in race shape, but definitely not now.

Either way, I would consider 200TSS in a single ride a hard effort, no matter what the intensity. That's was in the range of at least one high level pros reporting what their race effort IM TSS score was at Kona (I think it was low 200s). Sure, these guys are good enough to run a fast marathon afterwards, but you'd better believe they were working hard on the bike, especially this year for the men. I definitely would not characterize that as an easy or relaxed effort, even if done at 65% FTP. It's not a killer for sure, but it's going to be hard enough that you'll be really hoping it's over near the end.

I agree with everything you're saying. The difference is the time required to get to your target TSS if you ride at lower efforts. You're using 6 hours to get there, where riding harder can get you to a similar TSS in 4.5-5 hours. For someone only riding 3x a week, as the OP suggested, he'll probably benefit from riding harder rather than trying to spread 6 hours of riding over 3 days. Sure, you could spread 6 hours over 4-5 days, but triathletes also need time to swim and run.
2013-11-16 6:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran

To the OP : did you get an answer to your question ?
2013-11-16 8:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by yazmaster Yes, it likely depends on your overall training load and how acclimated you are to it. Right now, for me 6 hrs of cycling on the trainer is a fair amount, at around 300-350TSS. I could do the workout you did when I'm in race shape, but definitely not now. Either way, I would consider 200TSS in a single ride a hard effort, no matter what the intensity. That's was in the range of at least one high level pros reporting what their race effort IM TSS score was at Kona (I think it was low 200s). Sure, these guys are good enough to run a fast marathon afterwards, but you'd better believe they were working hard on the bike, especially this year for the men. I definitely would not characterize that as an easy or relaxed effort, even if done at 65% FTP. It's not a killer for sure, but it's going to be hard enough that you'll be really hoping it's over near the end.

Yes, it was a hard ride, and that was the point of posting it. And that is it's quite possible to push hard later in a ride the size you have been suggesting. I put up that one too because there was harder riding throughout the ride. It wasn't just a single late effort.

A general guideline for IM TSS is actually up in the high 200's, a bit under 300. And that's regardless of ability. The pro men do so with a bit higher IF than an age grouper because they are done much sooner. Call it 4:30 or so as opposed to say 6 hrs or more, so they are riding higher up in the 70's for IF. This later rider is going to be more in the range that you suggested riding at. A faster age grouper may have an IF in the 70's. More average to slower will be more like 70, some may be entirely in the 60's. Your proposed ride time happens to be about the same size as an IM bike split and to split this into 2-3 rides over an entire week. The first few times might be a bit rough, sure, but it shouldn't take that long to get used to it. If this amount of riding at that intensity is hard to do, then something should be re-evaluated.

2013-11-16 8:25 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by Jason NAs Marc mentioned, when someone suggests you ride harder, it's not meant to say you have to spend 100% of your time in sweet spot power levels or above. If I were to suggest the following 3 workouts, it would be as described.#1 - 60 minutes focused on VO2. 15 minute warm up mostly Z1-Z2 with a few short bursts. 35 minute main set as 4x5' at VO2 with 5' recovery between and 15 minute cool down. Total TSS of around 80, and only a total of 20' really focused above Z2. The other 40' is Z2 or lower.#2 - 60 minutes focused on Threshold. 15' warm up mostly Z1-Z2 with a few short bursts. 35' main set as 2x15' at Threshold with 5' recovery between and 15' cool down. Total TSS of around 80 again, and only 30' focused above Z2.#3 - 2.5 hour workout focused on sweet spot. 20' warm up, 3x30' at sweet spot with 5' recovery in between, 2x5' at threshold with 3' recovery, and 15' cool down. Total TSS around 160 and only 100' above Z2.So yes, if you want to break it down, harder riding doesn't mean that you're riding harder all the time. And while I agree you can get a more efficient workout on the trainer due to less coasting, if you stay in Z2 the whole time you're still going to spend more net time on the trainer to get the same TSS. Adding variability in your ride, assuming you ride harder, creates more TSS. If it didn't, then we wouldn't recommend that riding steady at the same power effort during race day was a more efficient way to conserve energy.
In ride #1, what % of ftp is the vo2 done? I assume well over 100%.....??Thanks

2013-11-16 9:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by yazmaster Yes, it likely depends on your overall training load and how acclimated you are to it. Right now, for me 6 hrs of cycling on the trainer is a fair amount, at around 300-350TSS. I could do the workout you did when I'm in race shape, but definitely not now. Either way, I would consider 200TSS in a single ride a hard effort, no matter what the intensity. That's was in the range of at least one high level pros reporting what their race effort IM TSS score was at Kona (I think it was low 200s). Sure, these guys are good enough to run a fast marathon afterwards, but you'd better believe they were working hard on the bike, especially this year for the men. I definitely would not characterize that as an easy or relaxed effort, even if done at 65% FTP. It's not a killer for sure, but it's going to be hard enough that you'll be really hoping it's over near the end.

Yes, it was a hard ride, and that was the point of posting it. And that is it's quite possible to push hard later in a ride the size you have been suggesting. I put up that one too because there was harder riding throughout the ride. It wasn't just a single late effort.

A general guideline for IM TSS is actually up in the high 200's, a bit under 300. And that's regardless of ability. The pro men do so with a bit higher IF than an age grouper because they are done much sooner. Call it 4:30 or so as opposed to say 6 hrs or more, so they are riding higher up in the 70's for IF. This later rider is going to be more in the range that you suggested riding at. A faster age grouper may have an IF in the 70's. More average to slower will be more like 70, some may be entirely in the 60's. Your proposed ride time happens to be about the same size as an IM bike split and to split this into 2-3 rides over an entire week. The first few times might be a bit rough, sure, but it shouldn't take that long to get used to it. If this amount of riding at that intensity is hard to do, then something should be re-evaluated.

Also agree.

Remember that I never claimed that these 2hr 70% FTP rides were so hard they'd beat you down - they're not.

However, I'm reiterating the point that they're anything but 'easy' rides. Any time you put up over 100TSS points, even if it's at Z2 pace, you're going to feel it and it's not going to be feeling easy at the end at all, even if you could go harder/longer at the end. You'll be glad it's over. Just countering the very common posts I see criticizing these long Z2 rides on the trainer as not productive - they're quite productive, and if you're over 100TSS per ride, they're not easy.
2013-11-16 10:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

I see what you're saying and now it's just a matter of one's perspective on what constitutes "easy" vs "hard". About 100 or even just a bit over can be felt a bit, but to me it's much more of an easy ride than a hard one. I still feel rather good afterward and great not too long after stopping. The higher you go from there, sure, it gets more tiring and more noticeable. As should be expected.

The ride I posted about before is well up into "hard", not a minimum or even a typical hard ride. Lopping off several of those intervals would still have made it hard.

2013-11-16 11:03 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by triosaurus
Originally posted by Jason NAs Marc mentioned, when someone suggests you ride harder, it's not meant to say you have to spend 100% of your time in sweet spot power levels or above. If I were to suggest the following 3 workouts, it would be as described.#1 - 60 minutes focused on VO2. 15 minute warm up mostly Z1-Z2 with a few short bursts. 35 minute main set as 4x5' at VO2 with 5' recovery between and 15 minute cool down. Total TSS of around 80, and only a total of 20' really focused above Z2. The other 40' is Z2 or lower.#2 - 60 minutes focused on Threshold. 15' warm up mostly Z1-Z2 with a few short bursts. 35' main set as 2x15' at Threshold with 5' recovery between and 15' cool down. Total TSS of around 80 again, and only 30' focused above Z2.#3 - 2.5 hour workout focused on sweet spot. 20' warm up, 3x30' at sweet spot with 5' recovery in between, 2x5' at threshold with 3' recovery, and 15' cool down. Total TSS around 160 and only 100' above Z2.So yes, if you want to break it down, harder riding doesn't mean that you're riding harder all the time. And while I agree you can get a more efficient workout on the trainer due to less coasting, if you stay in Z2 the whole time you're still going to spend more net time on the trainer to get the same TSS. Adding variability in your ride, assuming you ride harder, creates more TSS. If it didn't, then we wouldn't recommend that riding steady at the same power effort during race day was a more efficient way to conserve energy.
In ride #1, what % of ftp is the vo2 done? I assume well over 100%.....??Thanks

For VO2 intervals of 3-5' duration 110-115% is fairly common. Try to hit them all at a similar, yet strong power throughout each interval and for each interval. It's not necessarily bad if the last one(s) slip a little, but really try not to let it get too much under 110%. Recoveries for me are really easy and trying to keep things loose. For one like this, don't look much at overall ride power (AP or NP). The focus is very much on what you do for the intervals. Warm-up and recover between how you need to hit those strong. And yes, they're gonna hurt. 

2013-11-16 11:44 PM

User image

Champion
IME 75% of FTP is relatively easy even for 2-3 hours if FTP has been well established. 2 hours will put TSS around 100 and 3 hours around 150 but while TSS is a useful metric to consider training load, not all TSS are created equal. It is very hard to get 100 TSS in an hour and leave you very spent but 100 TSS over two hours is a fairly easy and repeatable effort.

All training we do is focused on improving endurance but I'm assuming you mean in terms of the percentage of FTP you can ride for durations longer than an hour then there are really two ways to address that - one way is lots of "easy" riding and the other is to improve FTP. For most, they will not have a sufficient training load to address either while on the trainer and since most do not want to spend the time required then it makes sense to focus your efforts on riding harder and using that time somewhere else.

The 9 hours would be on the high side if all riding were to be done at 75% of FTP since that would be just over 450 TSS but since L2 goes from 56-75% of FTP, unless one is always focused on the very top of the level, the time to get the desired TSS is going to vary. The middle of the level will provide about 40TSS/hour and the bottom of the level about 30TSS/hour.

Now, if you're defining L2 as 70-80% of FTP, then you are in the top of L2/bottom of L3 and if you are riding 2-3 hours of tempo effort, it will certainly feel challenging toward the end of the workout. Perhaps the biggest issue is how the levels are determined since I certainly wouldn't call a 3 hour tempo effort easy.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Road Base Build Programs Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Building cycling base using Turbo trainer

Started by DenisB
Views: 2425 Posts: 2

2007-09-18 9:01 AM Machiavelo

Help with running base building program

Started by boneyBP
Views: 1436 Posts: 6

2006-09-19 11:19 AM boneyBP

Base building

Started by aliengin
Views: 928 Posts: 6

2004-10-04 11:14 AM ride_like_u_stole_it

Building a Running Base

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 881 Posts: 6

2004-09-13 8:09 PM jasmine

Base Building again

Started by robot fury
Views: 1351 Posts: 7

2004-03-15 5:55 PM lincsguyus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 22, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, the focus will be on building your aerobic base while improving or maintaining stroke technique.

date : October 22, 2008
author : Curt Chesney
What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.