General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery Boots Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-16 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: Recovery Boots
So, having decided to potentially purchase a unit, I go read just about every review I can find. My conclusion is that collectively they work, and they provide an edge to someone who trains more than 3 to 4 times a week (AKA The Triathlete).

The question is, which brand? Normatec is very covered in official reviews. Recovery Pump is next, and then there are upstarts the most promising of which is Revitapump.

So I'm ready to shell out Normatec on a special - and one is coming for the holiday season albeit a modest discount to last year's prices. Recovery Pump is also having a special, also modest, but a couple of hundred dollars lower than Normatec. Reading about their technology vs each other from an engineering point of view and from the anecdotes, I'd say its a toss up. If I were to get 80% of the gains I read about anecdotally 100% of the time, it doesn't matter which system to buy. And I'm ready to spend the money, including for a body core sleeve, except for....

Revitapump. At about half the cost of the Normatec system, it promises the same thing. So I put on my consumer hat and assume that they skimp somewhere, right? But how can they skimp when Normatec and Recovery Pump are clearly reaping huge margins on their units (take a look at their replacement power supply cords, priced at $65. These cost about $5 to make as we have all found out over the years with laptops). So maybe Revitapump doesn' t use quality materials...but why would they go inferior when those materials are some of the cheapest on earth. So maybe manufacturing methods are inferior...but air pressure equipment manufacturing techniques go back decades - pretty standard stuff. So maybe its the pump/gauge....but that's a hugely solved problem....so maybe its just name brand at the end of the day.

The problem is, there's not much of a review on Revitapump by a reputable third party. But for half the cost, I could go through two units before I equal the one time purchase of a Normatec. So I'm ready to buy the Normatec, but I don't like being ripped off. So I may get the Revitapump after pumping them with questions, and if I do, I'll post as objective a review as I can.

Decisions, decisions.

2013-11-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Subject: RE: Recovery Boots
I am a happy NormaTec customer. My wife and I have used their recovery boots for five years now and they work as well as they did on day one.
2013-12-15 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
So I'm sitting with my Revitapump boots strapped on, pressure gauged about 65% of max. I took the plunge and bought the boots and core unit. Later I also purchased an arm unit as my wife suggested it would help shoulder upper tricep massaging (have had issues since an accident in 2012).

I had originally looked at Normatec and Recovery Pump. Revitapump was a late thought in my decision, but I'm very glad I picked them. The materials are professional.. thick, solid and well put together (I was worried I might get flimsy plastic). As my preliminary thoughts suggested, this technology isn't really new. I don't have Normatec and Recovery Pump units to compare with, but I can't see how they would improve on what I have. The Revitapump has both modes (Normatec's and Recovery), a dial-up pressure gauge, and a timer selection (which can be reset) among other visual displays. The max pressure is higher than I can stand, except for the shortest duration (maybe a cycle or 2).

But who cares about the technology, as long as it works. And does it? Yes. And by extension, that's a Yes for Normatec and a Yes for Recovery Pump, since they all work the same or similar way. So I'm glad I spent a third on what was the equivalent offering from Normatec.

I can run and/or ride more often. I am less stiff in the morning, and more easily maintain my flexibility. Sometimes I find myself on the third or fourth day of consecutive running and finding that my cardio, not my legs, are failing me (it has always been the opposite). Because I'm busy, I tend to strap it on late at night before bed....but with structured training resuming I"m planning on using the unit immediately after working out, at least on weekends.

It is absolutely undeniable that this technology works. My only regret is that I didn't buy it a year ago. Get one.

2013-12-15 10:29 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
During your research phase, did you happen to find any peer-reviewed literature regarding compression boots (either for or against)?
2013-12-16 8:10 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by dfroelich

During your research phase, did you happen to find any peer-reviewed literature regarding compression boots (either for or against)?

Nothing more than extensive reading on Google.

Mostly "for". The most controversial articles that come up are usually on the "which one is better" topic.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery Boots Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Normatec recovery boots

Started by CCS_56_EX
Views: 2659 Posts: 5

2013-11-18 10:08 AM fearlessraces

Zoot recovery or 2XU refresh recovery pants?

Started by jdotten
Views: 5541 Posts: 14

2011-09-30 1:09 PM jdotten

swim boots?

Started by ldserrano
Views: 5981 Posts: 12

2011-05-12 12:35 PM ldserrano

Recovery vs. Active Recovery

Started by cole18msu
Views: 1747 Posts: 19

2009-07-01 9:13 AM jkholden

Recovery Drink

Started by jchyte
Views: 912 Posts: 5

2004-03-05 1:08 PM BrianPBN
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : May 16, 2005
author : dara
So how does this “overreaching” differ from over training? It is a matter of degree and incorporating ample rest and recovery and sensible training progressions.
date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Your training plan is a guide but you don’t blindly follow it. You shouldn’t know exactly what you are going to do until the day you are to do it.