General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will IMAZ sell online? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-16 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Will IMAZ sell online?
I have a few friends in Tempe this weekend, couple signed up today and a couple are volunteering. Reports from athlete signup today said that line was looooong, took over an hour to sign up. One of my buddies drove from SD to volunteer and sign up Monday, said that he was asked in his volunteer meeting if he planned to sign up or not and they are giving special wristbands after volunteer shifts after volunteers have completed their shifts. Add in those that signed up from the IM CHoo disaster and tri club signups (Arizona has lots of clubs) I am predicting this race does not make it online....after all only 400 spots were sold online last year.

Anyone want to bet on this?

2013-11-16 5:57 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Subject: RE: Will IMAZ sell online?
I'd bet it will go online. Foundation slots that is. I think that it might go online for general registration...but maybe less than 100 spots which would be crazy
2013-11-16 6:02 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite

I foresee only foundation slots.   So much for my first time having a good friend in an ironman location to stay with!  by the time I pay for the flight to volunteer to get a slot, I'll break even. boo.

2013-11-16 6:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am predicting no.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-11-16 6:15 PM
2013-11-16 6:18 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

I am predicting no.  I am also predicting some volunteers will actually be shut out

2013-11-16 6:34 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChrisM

I am predicting no.  I am also predicting some volunteers will actually be shut out

oh boy.  I would be irate if I had volunteered and got shut out.

2013-11-16 7:09 PM

User image

Yeah, this year is different because they offered spots to guys that got screwed during IMCHOO registration. In a normal year, I think the volunteers would be safe. But those who didn't volunteer but showed up for on site registration may not be safe going forward.
2013-11-16 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
I was a volunteer at the onsite athlete registration today and we had 25 computers going. I registered 25 - 30 people. If I was about average speed, and I think I was, that puts between 600 - 700 athletes registered today. The line was pretty long, but the time ran from 11am - 1pm and by 12:30 the line was empty and it was easy to walk up and pay without waiting.

I think spots will be sold out on Monday and nothing will go online except foundation spots.

Oh, and I'll be at the swim exit tomorrow morning!

Edited by JamieS 2013-11-16 9:38 PM
2013-11-16 10:04 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by turtlegirl

If they shut out volunteers I suspect there would be some backlash to this. Why spend the money, time and volunteered and then get shut out? It will discourage folks in the future  from spending the time and money  volunteering for WTC...what is the incentive will there be?

I think this could be very very bad for WTC.

2013-11-16 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Are they doing the tri club thing for IMAZ?  My club always gets those and I haven't seen anything posted but maybe that's because we are an AZ club.  Who knows if it will hit online reg but someone can have my bracelet

2013-11-16 10:14 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Originally posted by KathyG

If they shut out volunteers I suspect there would be some backlash to this. Why spend the money, time and volunteered and then get shut out? It will discourage folks in the future  from spending the time and money  volunteering for WTC...what is the incentive will there be?

I think this could be very very bad for WTC.

Races that don't sell out immediately (IMCDA, IMTX, IMLOU, etc) generally don't have a problem finding enough volunteers. And AFAIK, there is no "guarantee" that volunteering gets you a slot. If it happens where some volunteers don't get a spot...yes, there will be some backlash, but I don't see it being really bad for the WTC. They'll still have plenty of volunteers for future races...people just need to readjust their expectations.

2013-11-16 10:21 PM

User image

"Some" backlash Kathy? I think tons! . Hopefully it won't come to that. But I assume WTC has a permit limit for how many it can sign up. And they've already telegraphed that this is an issue with the speed pass deal. If they didn't think they might run out of spots they would not have created the speed pass
2013-11-17 8:59 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

When will the WTC start charging people to volunteer in the more popular races like IMAZ and IMFL?

The sad thing is, I think people would. 

2013-11-17 9:17 PM
in reply to: dodgersmom

User image

Milwaukee
Kind of tagging this just because I'm interested in seeing what happens with this.

I live in south east WI... so my natural local races are 70.3 Racine and 140.6 Madison.

This year they offered a package to signup/pay for Racine and Madison on Friday before anyone else got signups... if you signed up for both. This IMAZ sounds like a trial of a different model... since IM Madison is also one that sells out in minutes the monday after.

Personally, I hope they keep the signing up for the 70.3 8 weeks out plus the 140.6, rather than this ironman foundation model.
2013-11-17 11:10 PM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

True that people are already lining up, 9 pm PST?

2013-11-18 12:27 AM

User image

Veteran

True that people are already lining up, 9 pm PST?

I'm not sure if they actually are, but one of the guys I volunteered with said his whole tri-club was planning to camp in line tonight. I don't know how that will work as I saw signs at all the park entrances that said park closes at midnight.

I also heard rumors from a few folks that said only 1000 spots were left for tomorrow morning. Yikes!

2013-11-18 4:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-11-18 5:04 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-11-18 5:06 AM
2013-11-18 6:13 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
MA

I've been thinking this all along Fred.

First the rumor was 4500 volunteers and that all wanted to sign up. That floated around for about 7-10 days. No kids, families, elderly folks, or locals who want to help signed up to volunteer just folks wanting to sign up for next year. The idea was ridiculous but it had legs and soon it was quoted as fact.

From there it just grew.

Making the product scares is great way to make price go up. Maybe a trial run at raising price for next year?

Could they be doing this in an effort to get the unfilled IM races filled?

Selling more community slots helps them look better to local community with zero cost of their part.

What is their goal for doing this though?

A BT friend posted photos of the line waiting to sign up from last night on FB.

If all the volunteers don't get it, I suspect backlash to future athletes volunteering to secure their spot. Some folks likely spned over $500 traveling to volunteer to sign up. More local folks who drive to sign up likely spend much less. I see this as a risk on their part that could back fire big time.

2013-11-18 7:29 AM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

First the rumor was 4500 volunteers and that all wanted to sign up. That floated around for about 7-10 days. No kids, families, elderly folks, or locals who want to help signed up to volunteer just folks wanting to sign up for next year. The idea was ridiculous but it had legs and soon it was quoted as fact.

From there it just grew.

Making the product scares is great way to make price go up. Maybe a trial run at raising price for next year?

Selling more community slots helps them look better to local community with zero cost of their part.

If all the volunteers don't get it, I suspect backlash to future athletes volunteering to secure their spot. Some folks likely spned over $500 traveling to volunteer to sign up. More local folks who drive to sign up likely spend much less. I see this as a risk on their part that could back fire big time.

Some backlash....maybe, but I doubt it will hurt them. Volunteers get priority registration but not a guaranteed spot, they must realize this. Plus here in Madison, lots of volunteers help out that have 0 intention of ever signing up for the race. Many local communities come out each year to support the race and help the athletes.

WTC business is stronger then ever. When you have 5000+ people providing free labor so you can put on an event and turn around right after their shift to get in line to plunk down $700 to participate in your event you now you are doing a great job with you business model.

Meanwhile IMLC, IMTX, IMCDA, and IMLou are all open for general entry so it's not like these athletes cannot get into an IM race.
2013-11-18 7:29 AM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

From there it just grew.

Some backlash....maybe, but I doubt it will hurt them. Volunteers get priority registration but not a guaranteed spot, they must realize this. Plus here in Madison, lots of volunteers help out that have 0 intention of ever signing up for the race. Many local communities come out each year to support the race and help the athletes.

WTC business is stronger then ever. When you have 5000+ people providing free labor so you can put on an event and turn around right after their shift to get in line to plunk down $700 to participate in your event you now you are doing a great job with you business model.

Meanwhile IMLC, IMTX, IMCDA, IM Canada, and IMLou are all open for general entry so it's not like these athletes cannot get into an IM race.

Edited by bcagle25 2013-11-18 7:44 AM

2013-11-18 9:28 AM

Elite

Originally posted by bcagle25

From there it just grew.

Some backlash....maybe, but I doubt it will hurt them. Volunteers get priority registration but not a guaranteed spot, they must realize this. Plus here in Madison, lots of volunteers help out that have 0 intention of ever signing up for the race. Many local communities come out each year to support the race and help the athletes. WTC business is stronger then ever. When you have 5000+ people providing free labor so you can put on an event and turn around right after their shift to get in line to plunk down $700 to participate in your event you now you are doing a great job with you business model. Meanwhile IMLC, IMTX, IMCDA, IM Canada, and IMLou are all open for general entry so it's not like these athletes cannot get into an IM race.

Perhaps, but with the exception of Lou and Tx (which for East coasters is a very undesirable time), LC, CDA, and Whistler are all a lot more expensive I'd imagine. I know CDA is quite pricey for flights.  Lou is rather inexpensive in terms of flights and hotels.  But like others, my strength is flat bike courses.  Those flat ones sell out for a reason!  Thinking I may bite the bullet and try Texas, but its just the wrong time of year

2013-11-18 9:39 AM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

From there it just grew.

Some backlash....maybe, but I doubt it will hurt them. Volunteers get priority registration but not a guaranteed spot, they must realize this. Plus here in Madison, lots of volunteers help out that have 0 intention of ever signing up for the race. Many local communities come out each year to support the race and help the athletes. WTC business is stronger then ever. When you have 5000+ people providing free labor so you can put on an event and turn around right after their shift to get in line to plunk down $700 to participate in your event you now you are doing a great job with you business model. Meanwhile IMLC, IMTX, IMCDA, IM Canada, and IMLou are all open for general entry so it's not like these athletes cannot get into an IM race.

Perhaps, but with the exception of Lou and Tx (which for East coasters is a very undesirable time), LC, CDA, and Whistler are all a lot more expensive I'd imagine. I know CDA is quite pricey for flights.  Lou is rather inexpensive in terms of flights and hotels.  But like others, my strength is flat bike courses.  Those flat ones sell out for a reason!  Thinking I may bite the bullet and try Texas, but its just the wrong time of year

Whistler is very cheap compared other IM's, friends stayed in hotel for $100 a night. For other races I recommend looking at VRBO houses, cost might be a bit more then a hotel, but you have a house, so you have a kitchen with means you can just get groceries rather then eat out each meal. Although the transport to CDA is a bit of a hassle. Still plenty of options

And this isn't directed at you, but lots of people are upset about IMAZ, but don't want to go to other locations. Beggers can't be choosers, if you want to do a WTC race then you might have to go elsewhere and do a more difficult or pricey race. Like I said in another thread on this topic, not everyone can have a BMW.

Edited by bcagle25 2013-11-18 9:47 AM
2013-11-18 9:43 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Completely agree with this. Until their momentum turns 180 degrees and they are hurting for volunteers and registration, they are sitting pretty.

Turtlegirl I feel for you and your dilemma - it sucks that they flipped the switch for the one race you were eyeing. I would encourage you to look into IMLOU though, there are "hills" but they are spread out and manageable (this coming from a flat-lander in Kansas).

Edited by lisac957 2013-11-18 9:43 AM
2013-11-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Someone just posted on ST that the race is sold out. I'm sitting her at my computer hitting "refresh" like a crazy person for a Foundation slot.

We'll see. Who even knows if that's true. Someone could be stirring the pot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will IMAZ sell online? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Online registration for IMAZ/

Started by kurt5134
Views: 941 Posts: 6

2012-09-12 9:43 AM cstoulil

luck selling bike online or on BT?

Started by maxmattmick
Views: 1652 Posts: 24

2010-12-08 12:28 PM jls42

what is your experience selling a bike online?

Started by sax
Views: 1300 Posts: 24

2010-10-29 3:40 PM mrbbrad

IMAZ Made it Online

Started by aarondavidson
Views: 1211 Posts: 8

2008-11-24 7:01 PM andrew75

Buying/selling Tri gear online?

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 778 Posts: 3

2005-04-02 12:20 PM auto208562
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.

date : April 21, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to use our detailed online race log to track your season and progress.
date : September 8, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 3
Online triathlon superstore, created for triathletes, by triathletes. We carry the highest quality triathlon equipment, triathlon gear and triathlon apparel.