General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-11-16 6:17 PM

User image

New user
KY
Subject: For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today...
How was it and does anyone know if they will show it again or if it's available online anywhere? I always enjoy their broadcasts. Thanks.

2013-11-16 7:20 PM
in reply to: erinrockrun

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today...

IMO if you watched any of the last 25 or so years of shows you can replace the names and it was exactly the same.  That broadcast needs a new dog and pony.

2013-11-16 7:24 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

I thought it was excellent.   Good balance of pros and human interest.  And gorgeous cinemetography

2013-11-16 7:51 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

I agree that the broadcast format is very similar year after year, but IMO it's a very good broadcast year after year. There's a reason why people keep asking when it's going to air, or re-air. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it does a good job of appealing to the masses...both triathletes and non triathletes.
2013-11-16 7:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N I agree that the broadcast format is very similar year after year, but IMO it's a very good broadcast year after year. There's a reason why people keep asking when it's going to air, or re-air. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it does a good job of appealing to the masses...both triathletes and non triathletes.

I disagree.....my friends who aren't into triathlon have become completely bored with the broadcast and don't watch it.  I got a text from a couple of them reminding me it was on while we were texting about college football games.  I asked one if he was going to watch it.....he said, "no, I've already seen it 3 or 4 times 10 years ago LOL "......I bet that sentiment is pretty common.

2013-11-16 10:26 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Jason N I agree that the broadcast format is very similar year after year, but IMO it's a very good broadcast year after year. There's a reason why people keep asking when it's going to air, or re-air. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it does a good job of appealing to the masses...both triathletes and non triathletes.

I disagree.....my friends who aren't into triathlon have become completely bored with the broadcast and don't watch it.  I got a text from a couple of them reminding me it was on while we were texting about college football games.  I asked one if he was going to watch it.....he said, "no, I've already seen it 3 or 4 times 10 years ago LOL "......I bet that sentiment is pretty common.

There is another pretty common sentiment that the coverage is pretty good, worth DVR'ing, and watching over and over again. You can't please everyone.

I too would rather watch football than the NBC broadcast. NBC should move the broadcast back to the second week of December when there is no football on Saturday.

2013-11-16 10:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Well....somewhere there's a viewership #...........we'll see. 

It didn't appear they were able to sell much advertising, except for GoPro which was already on board.  Not a strong showing at all.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-11-16 10:52 PM
2013-11-17 12:45 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
I've been a HUGE fan of the NBC coverage of Kona for a long time, but in the past couple years it really has gotten pretty weak. I may be a film snob since I work in the film business and am a tough critic, but in my opinion they really reached their prime with 2003 and 2004. You can find them , or at least snippets of them on the internet. I even loved them so much that I was willing to pay the 30 bucks or whatever it was to buy them on DVD! The cinematography and human interest stories were so much more professional back then and nowadays its just super slow motion footage of the leaders. Even for a tri geek Ironman athlete like myself, I get bored with them and didnt even watch it this year. Go watch 2004 instead
2013-11-17 12:55 AM

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Well....somewhere there's a viewership #...........we'll see. 

It didn't appear they were able to sell much advertising, except for GoPro which was already on board.  Not a strong showing at all.

Because none of the big products want to pay for advertising when everyone else is watching football. They tried to move the coverage up (and extend it) last year due to the anticipation that Lance would race. I have no clue why they are still trying to compete during the prime of college football season.

Edited by Jason N 2013-11-17 12:58 AM
2013-11-17 1:19 AM
in reply to: #4899794

User image

I agree that the early 2000s had more/better human interest than the more recent broadcasts. My wife used to watch them with me, now she couldn't care less. I am working overnight tonight and tomorrow so I plan on watching it Monday evening.
2013-11-17 6:54 AM
in reply to: djmtrier

I didn't watch and don't really pay attention (as in, I have no idea who won or who the pros even are) but there was an awful lot of complaining going on in the locker room yesterday morning about the dang personal interest stories and cutting away from the female pros during key moments. It was then that I remembered I was going to try to watch it.

2013-11-17 7:28 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

As a fan of the sport, personally, I'd prefer a longer broadcast with more details about the pro races, but I recognize this show for what it is.  It's not aimed at the hard core triathlon fan.  It's meant to attract a wider audience.  I'm aware of this when I tune in, and don't expect it to be everything I want to see.  Instead, I view it as a general recap of the race with some great camera work, so it's still enjoyable to watch.  IMO, there isn't a whole lot more they could do with it to appeal to the mass audience, but I do agree that competing with college football definitely limits the number of viewers.

IIRC, they rebroadcast in December last year, and would expect the same this year.

2013-11-17 9:22 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest

As a fan of the sport, personally, I'd prefer a longer broadcast with more details about the pro races, but I recognize this show for what it is.  It's not aimed at the hard core triathlon fan.  It's meant to attract a wider audience.  I'm aware of this when I tune in, and don't expect it to be everything I want to see.  Instead, I view it as a general recap of the race with some great camera work, so it's still enjoyable to watch.  IMO, there isn't a whole lot more they could do with it to appeal to the mass audience, but I do agree that competing with college football definitely limits the number of viewers.

IIRC, they rebroadcast in December last year, and would expect the same this year.

Yes...it's a general audience show. If you want a detailed version of the pro race, there is still all 17 hours of live coverage still available on Ironman Live. You can watch the whole race unfold second by second.

IMHO, NBC does a pretty good job taking a rather boring viewing sport (especially at the IM distance) with very little drama and making it into a 90 minute show that I find worth watching. This year was not Iron War or Macca vs. Raelert. Van Lierde made the pass on McKenzie and put a 20 yard gap on him in less than a minute. Carfree's pass for the lead was even more convincing.
2013-11-17 10:09 AM

New user
Originally posted by erinrockrun

How was it and does anyone know if they will show it again or if it's available online anywhere? I always enjoy their broadcasts. Thanks.

It's scheduled to be replayed on Universal Sports a few times over the next 2 weeks.

Here is the list from my DVR, all times are PST

Mon Nov 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 08:00 PM
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 06:30 AM
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 05:00 AM
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 03:00 AM
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
2013-11-17 10:12 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I agree, Jason.  I spent about most of race day following it live between doing other things around home and online.

2013-11-17 10:16 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Originally posted by TriMyBest

I'm very new to triathlon and found it facinating. I'm British ( But now living in the USA ) and found the coverage very similar to the London marathon when they concentrate more on the regular athlete raising money for good causes than the elite men/women.
I found the women's race far more interesting than the men's race,though which was a bit odd. I missed Chrissie Wellington devouring the field as I'd seen on past video's but at least it was a race with competitors whom I knew about. The men's race was a race where I knew nothing about the racers and NBC didn't fill you up with any information at all. They were almost ghosts to a beginner like me.
As an Englishman I don't understand this whole "Competing against the College football season season" either. Kona's race is a day long, college football lasts a season! why should they clash?

2013-11-17 10:37 AM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
I hate to say it, but for me, I just don't get much out of watching any triathlon on TV. Even the Olympics or Kona. It's just not a spectator friendly sport. Kind of boring. And I'm a person that can watch golf on TV and most every hour of the TdF each year. Even watching the entire NYC marathon broadcast was more exciting.
2013-11-17 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
The broadcast was good. I picked up on a few events that I had not read in Lava, Triathlete, online blogs or elsewhere (doesn't mean they weren't there), but nothing that would have me change my training. I do enjoy some of the interviews, and I also wanted focus on Chocolate Milk Man and Ramsey. On the latter two, it was rather weak. I think they spent all of 90 seconds telling the audience why the triathlon lifestyle, and they never provided any real answers. A layperson would be convinced it is for martyrs.

I don't have time or patience to watch the 17 hours live online ... that day I was doing 7 hours on the bike myself. In replay, who has the time? If I had 17 hours free, I would train more than I already do, or catch up on life things. 2 hours was great.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-11-17 11:07 AM
2013-11-17 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Already on YouTube if you want to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HkwsfTtU0

Haven't had time to check it out yet but Im guessing just change the names/faces from previous years and you have this years show.
2013-11-17 12:49 PM

User image

As an Englishman I don't understand this whole "Competing against the College football season season" either. Kona's race is a day long, college football lasts a season! why should they clash?

As an American, I don't understand it either, but have these people never heard of a DVR?   I get watching live sporting events in real time, but people actually watch something like the Kona ironman live, like with commercials???    Watch your college team and stick the IM in the DVR for viewing later.   There is no such thing as programming conflict in 2013

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-17 12:50 PM
2013-11-17 1:06 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcagle25 Already on YouTube if you want to watch it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HkwsfTtU0Haven't had time to check it out yet but Im guessing just change the names/faces from previous years and you have this years show.

Thanks. Good watch for an easy trainer ride.

2013-11-17 7:38 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

New user
Thanks for posting! I didn't know Gordon Ramsay was a runner/triathlete. Wow.
2013-11-17 8:42 PM
in reply to: Tmanishere

User image

Elite
I feel if you want the drama of the pro race watch the ling version for the NBC version I am more interested in special interest storied therefore I was disappointed . The fringe fan does not care much about the pros, they want to see the normal guy overcome the odds.....if they are going to thrive on tv they need to make changes.....I will always watch but just like the Nfl they want the fringe fan
2013-11-17 9:06 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Does anyone know exactly what a "wild card" is?? Is it the same as the Kona Lottery system? I want to know how this celebrity chef clown, Gordon Ramsey got to compete in the most coveted race of all time. He certainly didn't qualify. Do I smell the WTC giving away slots to celebrities to gain exposure??
2013-11-17 9:26 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Milwaukee
I saw the drama of the pro race that day watching onlone on ironman.com.

I watched he NBC broadcast for the 17 hour people and what they had to say about Hines Ward and Gordon Ramsey.

I already knew who won, etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today... Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

NBC Kona Coverage on Youtube

Started by xatefrogg
Views: 1058 Posts: 1

2012-10-31 9:24 AM xatefrogg

Reduced Kona 2011 Coverage on NBC Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 12519 Posts: 104

2011-12-12 2:49 PM LostSheep

2011 Ironman Kona Television Coverage Pages: 1 2

Started by m2tx
Views: 13900 Posts: 31

2011-10-06 5:31 AM audiojan

Ironman Kona on NBC?

Started by mrbigheado
Views: 2014 Posts: 8

2009-10-01 7:10 PM titeloops

Missed NBC coverage of Hawaii

Started by popit
Views: 1543 Posts: 11

2006-12-14 7:25 PM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : September 26, 2009
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : October 17, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Well the day is finally here. I don't believe a single workout has gone by in these past 9 years where the idea of being at the start line of the Ironman Hawaii didn't creep into my head.
date : October 10, 2004
So far the taper is feeling good and I'm getting that itchy feeling to race. I know this will grow even stronger when I get to the island and see my friends and PBN Team members.  

date : October 3, 2004
Definitely glad this weekend is out of the way as 145 miles of cycling and 27 miles of running in two days is a fair amount.