General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to the area....where to begin? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-16 7:50 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: New to the area....where to begin?
I just recently moved to Boston area and and need to start finding new groups to train with and new local haunts (running stores, bike shops, etc).

I really don't know where to even start looking. I'm currently living in Andover, but we are looking for a house, so I'm not sure a club that is strictly local to the area would be the best (we are looking for homes all over....as far south as Framingham and as far north as Nashua). I work in Lexington, and that won't be changing, so things central to that location would be good.

I'm currently recovering from an injury and have been out of commission for the past few years, so I'm not looking to immediately jump into hardcore training and racing, but more of a social training group that is fairly active when it comes to group workouts.

I also need to find a new LBS and a good running shop. I'm in desperate need for a new pair of shoes, but have had some mixed results in the past...so I'd love to get some personal recommendations. If the shops do group run/rides and are really friendly towards having 'regulars', then all the better. I've had shops like that the last few places I've lived and really enjoyed it.

2013-11-20 6:44 AM
in reply to: VO2Matt

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: New to the area....where to begin?

Welcome to MA!

You live in an area completely different than I do so I'm not familiar with shops near you.

Fast Splits is the biggest tri shop in Boston area. They are in Newton. I find Brian Hughes who is the manager there is super knowledgable about the tri scene in MA and NE and is likely able to point you in the right direction. I bought my first tri bike from him back in 2006.

Fitwerks is a well known bike shop that does high end bike fits. They have a location in the North Boston burbs area. They have a stellar reputation and have been around a long time. I haven't gone there as I have more local shops I visit.

Marathon sports is a running store that has lots of locations that may have one near you.

There are few bigger tri clubs in the North side of Boston but I'm not sure which would work out best for you. Trifury is one that comes to mind. If you end up in NH Colin Cook is a BTer that is a coach and has a tri club that may work out. They do many group work outs.

I live on other side of Boston more toward RI.

Hope you are able to get back at things after your injuries.

2013-11-21 1:38 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Welcome to Massachusetts....................you'll find out that it's not as bad as the rest of the World makes it out to be. Seriously. In fact, I think the state slogan should be “Massachusetts – it’s really not THAT bad”. I live in Hudson, out on the I-495 Frontier, less than a 1 day stagecoach ride from downtown Boston.

Anyway, I second much of what KathyG has to say. Fast Splits in Newton is very helpful and they have Computrainer classes there that I take that are very good. Marathon Sports in Wellesley was helpful to me for running shoes – the sweet lass that assisted me I think is named Julie and she was exceptional. Landry’s Bikes in Natick and Westborough has been helpful to me with Alison in Westborough helping me a lot with my first bike and they both have good group rides.

I swim at the Atkinson Pool in Sudbury which is a very nice, clean pool for laps……lotsa’ laps.

Let me know if you need to know more.
2013-11-24 1:02 PM
in reply to: Mahk

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Welcome, indeed!

I'm in Concord, so can only speak to the area around here.  Marx running in Acton is a really good, local shoe store (with a couple branches elsewhere, I think).  They'll do the video of your gait and work with you to find the right shoes, etc.  I've also had really good experiences at Marathon in Wellesley, as long as you get the right person (true almost everywhere, right?).

Brian at FastSplits gets another vote from me, as well.  He was terrific in fitting me to the bike and has done some great work on the bike itself.  The balance of the staff there are mostly (all?) triathletes and are psyched up about/geeked up on the sport (and they have apparel, kits, wetsuits, etc., too).  Another local place that is solid, but has fewer tri-specific folks is Pedal Power in Acton.  Mike is the lead mechanic there and definitely knows his way around both a tri and road setup (probably MB and such, too, but I only ride road/tri these days) and has done really solid work on my bikes, as well.  Super good people there, if you find yourself out this way.

I swim at the Thoreau club in West Concord, but might be switching to the Beede Center, as it's closer to home.  That said, from early may through most of October I swam at Walden (too awesome for words).  There are several ponds around here that are seemingly always full of triathletes - which is kind of cool!

Hope to see you out there this year!

Matt

2013-11-24 5:42 PM

User image

Welcome!
I have had great luck at Landry's in Westboro, they also have shops in Natick and Boston. I have bought and been fitted for two bikes there. The staff is top notch with service and knowledge! PR Running in Westboro has been my go to running shoe store. Also very good, both husband and I had gait analysis done there as well as several guided shoe purchases. I swim at Atkinson in Sudbury during winter.
Best wishes!!
Joy
2013-11-24 7:10 PM
in reply to: joyct32

Elite
Laurium, MI
thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'm really not sure where the reputation about all people from Mass being mean comes from....everyone I've met so far has been friendly.

Does anyone have any experience with the YMCA in Andover? How's the pool? It's really close to me and they advertise computrainer classes, so I'm considering getting a membership there at least for a while. Also...I see a lot of people discussion various lakes for OWS....does anyone swim in the ocean?

2013-12-04 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Boston

Originally posted by VO2Matt thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'm really not sure where the reputation about all people from Mass being mean comes from....everyone I've met so far has been friendly. Does anyone have any experience with the YMCA in Andover? How's the pool? It's really close to me and they advertise computrainer classes, so I'm considering getting a membership there at least for a while. Also...I see a lot of people discussion various lakes for OWS....does anyone swim in the ocean?

Welcome to Massachusetts!  I second eveyone's ideas!  Fast Splits....AWESOME.  I don't know Landries but I hear good things.    I  don't have any experience with the Y in Andover but I do know there is a Boston SPorts Club in Lexington and they have everything!  Pool, UFX (their version of cross fit, weights, personal trainers (for an extra cost) , spin classes, yoga.  I go to the one in Watertown.   I have swam in the ocean (in the warmer weather at Nantasket Beach in Hull. Then wid can kick up a bit creating some big (ish) surf.  But if you get beyond that its great to swim from buoy to buoy.   I've also done Cranes Beach in Ipswich but you have to be careful of the riptides.   I usually swim parallel to the beach.

DreamFar is a local tri team that meets in the warmer weather and they swim mostly at Walden Pond in concord.  

2013-12-10 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by VO2Matt

thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'm really not sure where the reputation about all people from Mass being mean comes from....everyone I've met so far has been friendly.

Does anyone have any experience with the YMCA in Andover? How's the pool? It's really close to me and they advertise computrainer classes, so I'm considering getting a membership there at least for a while. Also...I see a lot of people discussion various lakes for OWS....does anyone swim in the ocean?

I work in Andover and belong to the Andover YMCA. The pool is pretty nice. I typically go at lunch and usually have a lane to myself and MAYBE split, but very rarely have to circle swim. They are putting a pretty large edition on in the next year or two, there are signs everywhere. The Y also puts on some races in the area, there was actually an indoor tri there last Sunday. I don't have any experience with the compu trainers or anything like that, I really only swim there because I live in NH. I'll swim in the ocean in the summer, typically up at Salsbury or some place that is easy to get in and out of early in the morning. There's a good amount of lake swimming in this general area in Bedford and other towns. I'm a member of Trifury and have only met a handful of people at races because my life is just kind of crazy to meet up, but they do group bike rides out of Andover on Saturday mornings and during the summer there are at least 2-3 group swims going on at various lakes. They are an awesome resource and really nice. If you're ever looking for a run after work or something drop me a line.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to the area....where to begin? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm new, looking for beginning-intermediate training buddies in Boston area!

Started by yluo09
Views: 2179 Posts: 7

2011-04-06 9:09 PM yluo09

who says tri season is over, road trip season is just beginning Pages: 1 2

Started by comin4yea
Views: 2856 Posts: 32

2009-09-29 3:43 PM TriToy

Boston area doctors?

Started by bjg26pt2
Views: 1089 Posts: 5

2006-12-08 5:43 PM sue7013

2006 Mass Area Tri's

Started by c2fd
Views: 1131 Posts: 9

2006-01-25 7:13 AM isis54

2006 MASS AREA BT 'Mid Winter Fest' Pages: 1 2

Started by c2fd
Views: 1897 Posts: 28

2006-02-09 12:38 PM SunnyS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
The transition area gets busy real fast!
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
How triathlons are very similiar to NASCAR.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.