of 7

2015-08-26 11:52 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Stock Market
Originally posted by Left Brain

I haven't looked since Monday....but I was right at 90K down.....Monday late I moved 20K into a stock fund that has been good to me because the shares were cheap.Not skeered.

You look terrified in your avatar....

2015-08-26 11:58 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by Left Brain I haven't looked since Monday....but I was right at 90K down.....Monday late I moved 20K into a stock fund that has been good to me because the shares were cheap.Not skeered.

That was a bad day.

2015-08-26 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Left Brain I haven't looked since Monday....but I was right at 90K down.....Monday late I moved 20K into a stock fund that has been good to me because the shares were cheap.Not skeered.

That was a bad day.

And today was a good day....made back $13k.

Now, if we can just do this every day for the next 5 business days........
2015-08-26 5:33 PM

User image

Pro

That was a bad day.

And today was a good day....made back $13k. Now, if we can just do this every day for the next 5 business days........

Nah.....I'd like to see it come back to where it was over a couple month period.  Give some folks some time to decide to get in.

2015-08-27 5:02 PM

User image

Pro

Rogillio - happier?   I'm hoping for a bit of a pullback tomorrow and then a stronger week next week, but not like the last 2 days....maybe a gain of 2-3% for the week.

2015-08-27 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4899841

User image

Champion
Alabama
Bite your tongue brother! We are still down about 7% from the high this year.....

Get me back to where I wad and I'm pulling way back.

2015-09-01 2:26 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
DOW is down 2.6% today. I am only down 1% today. I moved a bunch of stuff around the last few days.
2015-09-01 2:37 PM

User image

Pro

I'm riding the train.

I wish I had some cash to dump in.

2015-09-01 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I'm riding the train.

I got about 20% in cash right now. Be careful catching falling knives.......
2015-09-01 3:06 PM

User image

Pro

I'm riding the train.

HA!!! 

2015-09-02 8:47 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm riding the train.

I did that once, have a nice scar on my foot to show for it.  haha

2015-10-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Looks like the market is poised to make a run at some record highs before the end of the year.......so who stayed in and who ran away during the correction and missed this run-up?

2015-10-23 10:45 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Looks like the market is poised to make a run at some record highs before the end of the year.......so who stayed in and who ran away during the correction and missed this run-up?

I'm still out.  haha

Mine doesn't have anything to do with it going up or down because I invest in all markets.  As for the "correction" it didn't really feel like there was anything substantial with it so it wasn't something to panic about.

I've mentioned it before but the vast majority of this run up (since 2008) is due to QE and a much lesser extent to the economy as a whole.  The feds are really in a pickle because they can't pull the money back out without crushing the markets, so I don't anticipate them doing anything in the near term.

It's still a hugely inflated market, but it's anyones guess how long it will stay there.  Remember, as I said before no gains are real gains until you've sold out.  I've lost a lot of money after I've had huge gains because I held on too long.  haha

2015-10-23 10:56 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

I'm still out.  haha

Mine doesn't have anything to do with it going up or down because I invest in all markets.  As for the "correction" it didn't really feel like there was anything substantial with it so it wasn't something to panic about.

I've mentioned it before but the vast majority of this run up (since 2008) is due to QE and a much lesser extent to the economy as a whole.  The feds are really in a pickle because they can't pull the money back out without crushing the markets, so I don't anticipate them doing anything in the near term.

It's still a hugely inflated market, but it's anyones guess how long it will stay there.  Remember, as I said before no gains are real gains until you've sold out.  I've lost a lot of money after I've had huge gains because I held on too long.  haha

I don't think it's that inflated.....certainly not "hugely" inflated.  I wouldn't even consider moving out while QE is in effect.....and there is no way the Dems are going to let the market get hurt in the lead up to elections.  I think this year will still end up in double digit gains and next year could be a big one.

2015-10-23 11:32 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm still out.  haha

I don't think it's that inflated.....certainly not "hugely" inflated.  I wouldn't even consider moving out while QE is in effect.....and there is no way the Dems are going to let the market get hurt in the lead up to elections.  I think this year will still end up in double digit gains and next year could be a big one.

I agree on the getting out part, but what's going to drive the growth next year?

The Dow has been on a tear since 2008 because of QE and QE stopped last October.  So guess what the Dow has done since last October?  yeah, absolutely nothing.  

2015-10-23 12:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I'm still out.  haha

I agree on the getting out part, but what's going to drive the growth next year?

The Dow has been on a tear since 2008 because of QE and QE stopped last October.  So guess what the Dow has done since last October?  yeah, absolutely nothing.  

I'm right at 5% this year.......so it's not "nothing", and it's certainly better than I can get anywhere else.  I'm betting I end the year at 10-12% gain.  I don't care about Oct - Oct.....I'm not the federal govt. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-23 12:04 PM

2015-10-23 12:25 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm still out.  haha

I'm right at 5% this year.......so it's not "nothing", and it's certainly better than I can get anywhere else.  I'm betting I end the year at 10-12% gain.  I don't care about Oct - Oct.....I'm not the federal govt. 

that's awesome and hey I truly hope you're right and it keeps going up.

Personally, I've been burnt so bad in the market that I'll never ever ever buy and hold again because I just have to have more control.  I'm not saying everyone should do it, it's just where I'm at.  :-/

I will keep the stock market as a very small percentage of my net worth because I just don't trust it.  It's honestly more of a hobby than it is an investment for me at this point.  My biggest investment is my business which I own stock in of course, but I get to control all the costs and drive the sales and I like that.

With the extra cash we're going to be pulling out of the business over the next few years I plan to buy investment properties outright for some diversification.  So on that note a little "downturn" for a year or two would be helpful.  My business is kind of unique as well because we tend to get a lot more business during a downturn due to people looking to save money and outsource business projects.

2015-10-23 12:34 PM

User image

Pro

I'm still out.  haha

Personally, I've been burnt so bad in the market that I'll never ever ever buy and hold again because I just have to have more control.  I'm not saying everyone should do it, it's just where I'm at.  :-/

I will keep the stock market as a very small percentage of my net worth because I just don't trust it.  It's honestly more of a hobby than it is an investment for me at this point.  My biggest investment is my business which I own stock in of course, but I get to control all the costs and drive the sales and I like that.

With the extra cash we're going to be pulling out of the business over the next few years I plan to buy investment properties outright for some diversification.  So on that note a little "downturn" for a year or two would be helpful.  My business is kind of unique as well because we tend to get a lot more business during a downturn due to people looking to save money and outsource business projects.

I moved $20,000 into my mutual fund stock account on the very day it reached it's lowest during this correction.  First time I ever got it exactly right.

2015-10-23 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm still out.  haha

I moved $20,000 into my mutual fund stock account on the very day it reached it's lowest during this correction.  First time I ever got it exactly right.

haha, that's awesome.  yeah it's like a 99.999% chance that I usually buy at the top and sell and the bottom when I'm trying to time the market.  

2015-10-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Yesterday was the exact reason I leave the stock buying and selling to my financial guy.

I had the bright idea of selling my Amazon lot I purchase at 312 a year ago ahead of earnings with the intent of buying back after earning since its up 80% for the year and thought is was due for a pul back......I'm glad I still have a few positions to enjoy the 60 point gain but feel like an idiot for thinking I could outsmart the market as it always outsmarts me.

Though I have to say I'm enjoying my purchase of Chevron, MO, and Apple the day after the August crash.

ETA: just re-checked...its only up 35 so I only feel like half the idiot I felt like a minute ago. I guess we'll see in a week if I'm right or not.

Edited by Jackemy1 2015-10-23 3:11 PM
2015-10-26 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
We are still in with only slight changes to our allocations - a bit more cash (second college tuition to pay for!) and a bit more International exposure. We made some minor tweaks back in Jan, Mar and again in August. Got in and out of a fairly big Japan position almost perfectly from Jan - Sept!

I leave it almost all up to my financial advisor with our input being around insurance needs, additional cash needs (big home improvement projects at the house or cabin, new car, tuition, etc.) and general risk tolerance. We are "very slightly aggressive" right now, but will be trending more toward conservative over the next 3 to 5 years as we approach retirement.

2015-11-05 12:08 PM

User image

I just started my investing, outside of works retirement account. I have been to timid to put my money at risk, but realized my savings was getting swollen and earning a fraction of a percent in interest. My 401k's have been doing terrible this year as well. So I increased my 401k contributions and started a brokerage account. I now own some stock and a mutual fund as of today, and am already making money! I still have a lot to learn about investing, but now that I have finally started, I have more drive to keep at it.
2015-11-05 12:51 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Good for you!!! Keep at it, and I'd recommend getting professional help as your portfolio grows and/or if your situation gets more complicated.
2016-05-10 9:24 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Not to resurrect this thread, but...  Can anyone recommend some good books, websites or software for learning how to buy/sell stocks.  I've got some money lying around and would like to invest.  Not sure it is enough to bother hiring a financial manager, and don't would like to learn more before I go that route anyway.

2016-05-11 6:24 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by velocomp

Not to resurrect this thread, but...  Can anyone recommend some good books, websites or software for learning how to buy/sell stocks.  I've got some money lying around and would like to invest.  Not sure it is enough to bother hiring a financial manager, and don't would like to learn more before I go that route anyway.

Are you just looking to trade individual equities or ETF's?

Also, what type of strategy are you thinking?  Are you looking to buy and hold or more short term trades?

For buy and hold strategies it's more about long term company performance and industry growth.  With shorter term swing trades it's more about being over bought or over sold and looking for a pull back or bounce and taking advantage of it.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Stock Market Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.