General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watt?? ANOTHER ftp question...?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-17 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: Watt?? ANOTHER ftp question...??
Apologies... I have an old Cateye CS1000 Cyclosimulator that has an onboard meter, measuring speed, distance, time, calories, aaaand watts. It totals time and distance, but only shows current watts. It does not show avg watts. If I want to test ftp, will this work? If I take the total distance and time to find avg speed, correlate that avg speed to its power (watts) , will that be my avg power, upon which ftp can be calculated? I also want to ask if anyone knows how innacurate this cateye 'power meter ' is.. I know I ought to be ok with it being inaccurate,as long as it is consistent ThanksHow the HELL do I format this??? I use paragraphs, but everything turns into one looong paragraph on my tablet....

2013-11-17 6:45 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Watt?? ANOTHER ftp question...??
Is this computer supposed to work outside, or is it tied in with your trainer somehow? It is impossible to accurately calculate power outside based on just speed distance and cadence.

In any case, the only ways I know of to calculate FTP are based on average power over a time period. Usually 20 minutes. I can't think of a reasonable way to figure this out without a device capable of figuring out an average. Especially outside. On the trainer I guess you could try eyeballing it, but a 20' test is agonizing enough without trying to do that.
2013-11-17 7:52 PM

User image

Pro

unless you can get wattage data out of that and upload it to TrainingPeaks or Golden Cheetah- NO. you can't use it.

you're better off just using trainer road.com

2013-11-17 10:04 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes, the computer is part of the trainer. I azzume it measures speed of the roller, and then calculates 'power' based on a power curve, in much the same way as Trainer Road (but without all the cool features TR has) . I guess I may have to ask Santa for the garmin speed sensor and one of the dongles thanks
2013-11-18 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
You know there are 2 ways that you can get a good estimate of your FTP power without a power meter by using either one of these links or both of them to corrobarate the inputs.

http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/CyclingAerodynamics.aspx- use this page, and go to middle of page in section 2. to est. cda,

then, go to this page and input said cda...

http://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html- inputs are self explanatory I hope

I feel that the power numbers from this method are pretty accurate when used against my power meter.

2013-11-18 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus Yes, the computer is part of the trainer. I azzume it measures speed of the roller, and then calculates 'power' based on a power curve, in much the same way as Trainer Road (but without all the cool features TR has) . I guess I may have to ask Santa for the garmin speed sensor and one of the dongles thanks

Well there is a published speed vs watts chart.  The function would have to be determined to figure out the avg watts vs avg speed curve.  Problem with using TR is that it too would require the function or have it previously measured with a power meter, not sure it would have this trainer in its library, you'll have to check.  Best to ask Santa for a Kurt Kinetics Road Machine or CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer and the Ant+ sensors/dongles!

2013-11-20 8:16 PM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tomspharmacyYou know there are 2 ways that you can get a good estimate of your FTP power without a power meter by using either one of these links or both of them to corrobarate the inputs.http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/CyclingAerodynamics.aspx - use this page, and go to middle of page in section 2. to est. cda,then, go to this page and input said cda...http://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html - inputs are self explanatory I hopeI feel that the power numbers from this method are pretty accurate when used against my power meter.
Thanks. A bit too complicated for me, tho
2013-11-20 8:19 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by triosaurus Yes, the computer is part of the trainer. I azzume it measures speed of the roller, and then calculates 'power' based on a power curve, in much the same way as Trainer Road (but without all the cool features TR has) . I guess I may have to ask Santa for the garmin speed sensor and one of the dongles thanks

Well there is a published speed vs watts chart.  The function would have to be determined to figure out the avg watts vs avg speed curve.  Problem with using TR is that it too would require the function or have it previously measured with a power meter, not sure it would have this trainer in its library, you'll have to check.  Best to ask Santa for a Kurt Kinetics Road Machine or CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer and the Ant+ sensors/dongles!

Thanks for that. I will email TR to see if this trainer is supported.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watt?? ANOTHER ftp question...?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Watts are watts, change that chain

Started by Donto
Views: 2465 Posts: 5

2013-10-04 2:30 PM morey000

A Watt is a Watt - Power Training vs Heart Rate Training

Started by RobertFontaine
Views: 4331 Posts: 22

2013-03-14 10:33 PM golfer17

Watts per Kg question

Started by RBesecke
Views: 1204 Posts: 7

2012-05-16 7:45 AM Goosedog

Watts indoors vs watts outdoors

Started by jmot
Views: 2488 Posts: 23

2011-03-24 9:28 PM jgerbodegrant

A watt is a watt is a watt......right?

Started by aquagirl
Views: 2422 Posts: 24

2010-10-02 8:58 AM marcag
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.