General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is strength training for hs daughter who is a swimmer and runner a good idea? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-18 6:32 AM

Subject: Is strength training for hs daughter who is a swimmer and runner a good idea?
I am looking for advice, my daughter ask if i thought going to a gym would help her. She is on the swim team and the track team and wants to get better. Is strength training for a 15/16 yr old a good idea? What about the boot camp programs or the cross fit programs? We are just looking for pro's and con's to additional strength training options. Thanks for the help.

2013-11-18 6:42 AM
in reply to: iwant2join

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Is strength training for hs daughter who is a swimmer and runner a good idea?
With a good strength training coach, I don't see that there would be any likely down sides. Technique will be crucial to keep her injury free. If she is already swimming 5 days a week with a team, you probably can't just add strength training into her schedule without working closely with her coach.
2013-11-18 7:28 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Is strength training for hs daughter who is a swimmer and runner a good idea?

Whatever you do, please don't put a 16 year old girl in some bootcamp or crossfit gimmick program. If she strength trains at all at this point, she should probably only do it to address/correct deficiencies that she has (or to strengthen core).

2013-11-18 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
She really should consult her coaches as to what exercises would be most beneficial. I would avoid starting a new program like boot camp or crossfit, especially during the competitive season. Just my 2 cents, but those workouts can have a lot of high-impact moves and some girls that age are very prone to stress fractures and joint or tendon injuries from such moves since their bodies are still maturing after finishing rapid growth during puberty. They are really intended for adults. I swam and ran competitively in high school and we did some strength training for both sports, maybe 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week. Swimming stressed more upper body and core work (free weights, situps, planks), while running included some basic lower body work, mainly with the goal of injury prevention. I know I was incredibly strong for my size at that age, able to bench-press my body weight, which I can't do now (though I weigh within five pounds of what I did then). Not sure how useful/necessary it was for performance, though.

I know the jury's out on its effectiveness for tri training, but in the hands of a skilled coach strength training can be a useful tool for injury prevention, if nothing else. However, I would not have her doing random exercises in the gym or high-intensity programs designed for adults.
2013-11-18 7:53 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Some Light strength training and Core development certainly won't hurt any, She doesn't have to be lifting big weight, light weights with 3 set reps will do just fine.

I am finding even one day a week doing this is really helping me with swimming and with my knee injury strengthening shoulder deltoids hambstrings
quads. core ect help to stabilize my knee problem and helps with some rotator cup problems I was having, for me at 60 I am definitely not lifting tonnage but the light weight high rep workout seem to be really helping with just general fitness and body tone overall..
2013-11-18 9:14 AM

User image

Pro

Ask her swimming and track coach for workout idea.

My swim coach in HS had a strength training plan that he'd provide to us if (a) we wanted it, or (b) we had something going on where we couldn't get in the pool. It was easy to follow, had simple exercises, and was tailored to 14-18 year olds. 

2013-11-18 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I'd say yes. Women only put on bone density up to a certain age. I have daughters 15-19 and two are quite thin which puts them at risk. Their physician talks with them about strength training, vitamin D and calcium.

Issue as I see it, not very many good trustworthy sources to turn to as to what and how. I'd look for an experienced strength and conditioning coach. Not all varsity coaches at HS are knowledgable about this either from my experience. One of my kids HS coaches had them stretching with cold muscles for examples. I see some coaches do what they did in the sport back 20 years ago.

Do some good research and find the right person to guide her.

2013-11-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Pro

I think your daughter is at the right age, but "strength training" should be alot more than just going to the gym.  Where do you live?  I can send you some links to places that have programs that are probably what you are looking for, and maybe you can find something similar in your area. 

As KathyG stated.....I know there are some good HS coaches out there.....but not many proportionally to the total number of HS coaches.  I wouldn't trust your kid to them if she can compete at a high level.  Finding good coaches is really important in their development.

2013-11-18 11:03 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

As KathyG stated.....I know there are some good HS coaches out there.....but not many proportionally to the total number of HS coaches.  I wouldn't trust your kid to them if she can compete at a high level.  Finding good coaches is really important in their development.

Kathy and LB make good points.

Contact someone with knowledge, experience and competence. I just lucked out that my HS swim coach was fantastic - and kind of forgot that some might not really know their way around an ST program (or sometimes even the sport they are coaching!)

2013-11-18 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
I'd almost certainly recommend some strength work, but even as a Crossfitter myself (not sure what the "gimmick" is, btw...but I'll try to stay on topic), I don't think standard Crossfit is the answer - at least during the "on" season. There would be great benefits, though a more specialized coach would likely be more beneficial if swim and short runs are her primary goal. (Crossfit is all about being pretty good at everything. but not awesome at any one thing). In my area, however, I just stumbled upon a Crossfit gym that is exclusively for High School athletes...maybe there is something like that in yours?
2013-11-20 8:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Thanks for all the advice. She and I read all the posts and excited to find the right gym with the right trainer. We live in eastern CT and if anyone has a gym they can recommend we would love to hear about. We have not spoken to any of the coaches, yet. We hope to in the next few weeks. We hope to start slow during the short coarse season and start it a few days a week this summer.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is strength training for hs daughter who is a swimmer and runner a good idea? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I just a hopelessly bad swimmer?

Started by Patrick E
Views: 2136 Posts: 17

2010-02-10 5:45 AM nickster

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3070 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Am I screwed...bad runner

Started by aggiecatcher
Views: 1167 Posts: 9

2007-06-07 3:31 PM Donto

Why am I such a slow swimmer? Pages: 1 2

Started by cjoy
Views: 6025 Posts: 40

2007-01-16 4:57 PM AdventureBear

I am a Pathetic runner

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1118 Posts: 21

2004-08-03 12:16 PM kimj81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : December 4, 2007
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.

date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : September 24, 2007
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : February 21, 2007
author : AMSSM
Here’s a review of three common injuries in triathletes and a brief review of what to do if you experience one of these injuries: Runner’s Knee, Achilles Tendonitis and Swimmers Shoulder.