General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, New Mexico
United States
Las Vegas Promotions Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 52s
Overall Rank = /140
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up, frank some Gatorade, ate a banana and some mini bagels, went to the race, set up transition area, got marked, talked with some people setting up around me, tried on wetsuit (got to borrow one and was very grateful), went down to the swim start, listened to pre-race meeting.
Event warmup:

Got in the water to acclimate a bit, and did a couple of strokes. Does that count?
Swim
  • 28m 22s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The course itself was pretty nice. I felt that I got into somewhat of a groove for the first part of the swim. Then, I lost a bit of concentration and form as I was trying to make sure I was going the right direction. Over all, it wasn’t bad, but could have been better.
What would you do differently?:

I’m not sure what the deal is with my swims. I need to work on them more. Perhaps never practicing in the wetsuit inhibited me, but it was soo worth it. The warmth….ahhhh.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

It took me a couple of tries to get my socks on correctly.

Dry my feet.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the highlight of my race. The course was a little hilly, and I go quite slowly on hills, but the view was amazing. I got on the bike, and ate some gu. Then I worked on getting into a rhythm. The girls started first, so the boys started to pass at this point. The course had some small hills in the first part and then a 4 mile gentle climb in the middle. I felt like I was doing just fine on this hill. At the turn around I had a bit of a problem. The volunteers were telling me to go and a car to stop. The car stopped, and when the volunteer got out of the way to let me pass the car started going again. So there was much yelling (by the volunteers and the driver at each other), and I was trying to tell them thank you over that. Much excitement. That out of the way, I started to head down the hill. And ready for mmore excitement? I passed someone!!! Not much else happened on the way back. I ate another gu and enjoyed the ride.

I would hydrate more. I felt like I was putting a lot of effort into the bike (mentally and physically).
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

I racked my bike and it fell, so I had to re-do it. Everything else was fine.

Rack it correctly.
Run
  • 1h 06m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination. But this was pretty bad. About a quarter of a mile into the race I got a rather unpleasant pain in my left shin. Rather than stop, I kept plodding on. At one point people were walking faster than me (despite my pain I did see the humor in this one). I had to stop at mile two to massage it, and then just prayed that I would finish. It got a little better, and by mile four it was bearable. So, at that point I tried to pick up my pace. I passed a person (which is a very rare occasion for me on the run), and I tried to cheer her on, but she was a little grumpy. Oh well. Ethan passed me with a mile left (even with a 20 minute head start I couldn’t beat him), but he came back to run with me for the last bit. I mustered up my last bit of energy and ran to the finish. People on the course were amazing…very encouraging. Triathletes rule.

Not get a pain.
Post race
Warm down:

Water...talking...and stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

???

Event comments:

This was my first season, and this race was my last tri for this season. I gave it my best shot. I'm a little disappointed in my times. That only leaves room for improvement next season.

Last updated: 2006-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:22 | 1500 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 0/140
Performance: Average
Suit: Borrowed wetsuit
Course: It was a point to point course that loosely paralleled the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:26:57 | 24.85 miles | 17.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This course was beautiful. Out and back along a country road (I think that is a fair description).
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:06:59 | 06.21 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Performance: Average
Course: Up and around parts of the lake and more back roads and paths. It was not fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Subject: Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake

2006-07-31 2:37 PM
in reply to: #498074

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake
Awesome job!  I wish I had an oly under my belt
2006-07-31 3:40 PM

Albuquerque, NM

Great Job!  There were quite a few BT'ers at this race too.  Lobo, Chile 7473, Zia Cyclist, Codytriguy, Pilgrim, and I all did the race.  Are you doing Socorro?

Good report and hope to meet at your next race.

Mike 

2006-07-31 4:25 PM
in reply to: #498618

User image

Expert
Hawaii
ABQkid - 2006-07-31 3:40 PM

Great Job! There were quite a few BT'ers at this race too. Lobo, Chile 7473, Zia Cyclist, Codytriguy, Pilgrim, and I all did the race. Are you doing Socorro?

Good report and hope to meet at your next race.

Mike

Thanks! I knew there would be some BTers there, but I wasn’t sure who was who. I was a bit too shy to try and find out. I was kicking myself after the race for not doing so. I wish I was doing Socorro, but I didn’t try to sign up until it was too late. Are you doing it? Good luck! I look forward to reading your race report.
2006-07-31 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great job. That's a really good swim time...especially since it was 1500 meters. That sucks about the leg pain on the run. Great to see such a strong showing of BT'ers.
2006-08-02 8:21 AM

User image

Mesa
Awesome swim!!! Really good transition times too!

I have some Pearl Izumi socks that I use just for races (well since I got a nasty blister in the San Diego International in June). They slip on really well even if your feet are wet.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake Rss Feed