Ocean City Lifeguards Association
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m
Overall Rank = 254/351
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/20
Pre-race routine:

Drove around looking for a place to park.
Event warmup:

Walked the mile up to the start line. Ate a powerbar and drank some gatorade.
Swim
  • 38m 55s
  • 1750 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was by far the hardest mile I have ever swum. When I saw how far out at sea the buoys were I decided to treat this as a training swim, rather than a time trial (ok so I wimped out). I talked with another tri guy at the start who was doing the same thing. I went out in the back of the heat to avoid being swam over. Getting out to the first buoy (through the surf) was the hardest part, after that I fell into a nice rhythm. The waves made sighting more difficult than in a river or lake and I had difficulty timing sighting with the waves. Sighting sometimes meant treading/breaststroke for a couple seconds to wait for a wave to pick me up so I could see over the wave in front of me. I know I swam offcourse a little bit more than once. I tried to concentrate on breathing and a smooth stroke. I managed to pass a couple people and held off the 2nd heat until the last buoy. There were alot of serious swimmers - most of who did not wear wetsuits and kicked my butt. Unfortunately I did not swim fast for any part of the race, as I did not want to tire that far out at sea. By the time I got to the last buoy I knew I had too much left in the tank. My time is discouraging because I thought my pace was a little faster than it was, despite not going full tilt. Even if I went all out my time would only have been a couple minutes faster. This was a good training swim and I'm sure I will do this race or a similar one again. Hopefully I will have enough confidence now to find that higher gear and swim a bit more aggressively in the ocean.
What would you do differently?:

Get there earlier to park. Walk the beach and count the buoys (so I can have an idea of distance). Remember to start my watch at the beginning of the race!! Train a little harder the couple weeks before the race. Pick up the pace at around the halfway point.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the beach with my wife and kids. Drank an Arizona Ice Tea.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear of swimming in the ocean and not knowing how I was going to feel in rough water.

Event comments:

The race was pretty well organized and very competitive. It seemed like most of the entrants were very good swimmers.

Last updated: 2006-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:55 | 1750 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/351
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR ultrafull
Course: The waves were challenging and the bouys were pretty far out. I'm glad we swam WITH the current. The water temp varied in different areas. Some spots it was at least 70F in others it was maybe 65F. A good south wind provided a nice current for swimming north along the coast.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA
Subject: Ocean City NJ 1 mile ocean swim

2006-07-31 1:10 PM
in reply to: #498082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Ocean City NJ 1 mile ocean swim

my hat's off to anybody who ventures into the ocean to swim.  sounds like you learned a ton from this race.  keep up the good work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ocean City NJ 1 mile ocean swim Rss Feed