General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top 5 Tri Races in DFW (organization and Swag bag goodies) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-19 9:44 AM

New user

Dallas - Fort Worth
Subject: Top 5 Tri Races in DFW (organization and Swag bag goodies)
I am looking forward to the 2014 season and I need your help picking races. What would you consider the top 5 Tri races in the DFW area? I am looking for some well-organized events with some nice swag bags.

2013-11-22 5:47 AM
in reply to: flo mo

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Top 5 Tri Races in DFW (organization and Swag bag goodies)
The Texasman triathlon (three distances) always gives pretty good stuff, same goes for the Disco Triathlon (both races at Lake Ray Roberts, same organizer). Other good races are the Lifetime Tri in October but it seems like it will be canceled after six years, Toyota pulled out the sponsorship. All the races that Jack Weiss organizes are very well oiled and high value, just no swag. Playtri races are also nice, swag is not to die for.
As for me, after so many races, I ask for XL tshirts because they are better for wiping the bike...
2013-11-22 8:28 AM

New user
I would second that the Texasman and Disco races are well done. The Playtri Festival in early June is also well done. It is a good spectator race as the swim is in a small man made lake and the bike and run are loops. The Texasman and Disco are not as spectator friendly but in a nice park so the fam should be able to walk around and enjoy themselves for a couple hours and see you in and out of transition. Playtri Festival is on closed urban concrete roads and the other two are on open chip seal highways, though traffic was very light.

Swag is just ok at all of them, but the bike shirt we got last year the Disco race was ridiculously bad, so bad i don't even want to donate it.
2013-11-25 3:15 PM
in reply to: ernestov

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by ernestov The Texasman triathlon (three distances) always gives pretty good stuff, same goes for the Disco Triathlon (both races at Lake Ray Roberts, same organizer). Other good races are the Lifetime Tri in October but it seems like it will be canceled after six years, Toyota pulled out the sponsorship. All the races that Jack Weiss organizes are very well oiled and high value, just no swag. Playtri races are also nice, swag is not to die for. As for me, after so many races, I ask for XL tshirts because they are better for wiping the bike...

With regards to Jack Weiss - Ironhead RP: 

No more Ironhead Races

2013-11-25 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by flo mo I am looking forward to the 2014 season and I need your help picking races. What would you consider the top 5 Tri races in the DFW area? I am looking for some well-organized events with some nice swag bags.

Finding really great swag in the DFW area is next to impossible. The Dallas Sports University events usually have pretty good swag though. Of course, that means you get socks and a hat with a shirt.  

They also put on a "Best of the Best". Last year they gave away a nice running jacket. This year we got a hoodie. Apparently the running jackets never arrived and the manufacturer wouldn't return their calls. So we got hoddies instead. 

2013-11-25 4:48 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
Oly or longer, can't force myself to put any Sprints on this list.

1) Lifetime Tri Rockwall (hopefully this will stay well run with Toyota Cup pulling plug)
2) Trifecta (PK is more DFW then anywhere else) Next year will be third year. Challenging course, very well run.
3) Texasman
4) Disco
5) Playtri Festival. SWAG not great but fairly well run, Lot's of complaints with last years run course, which will hopefully be fixed.

and if you include Shreveport in DFW area I would break my rule and add River Cities as the SWAG is the best anywhere and probably put it in #1 slot.

Also just ran into Onurmark person at IMAZ who said they would be having inaugural race in Ft Worth next year. They put on Kemah Tri and it is usually well organized with decent SWAG. Based on reputation I might put them right after Trifecta.

2013-11-26 8:39 AM

New user

Dallas - Fort Worth
Thanks for all the great responses. I really appreciate it!
2013-11-26 1:38 PM
in reply to: ernestov

User image

Originally posted by ernestov

Playtri races are also nice, swag is not to die for.

Playtri took a pretty big dive this year (maybe the cost of opening a new store hurt them?), big drop in the markings/stickers and the t-shirt went from being a pretty nice technical shirt to a poorly designed cotton shirt.
2013-11-26 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON
Weather is ALWAYS an issue for the St. Patrick's Day Tri, but I thought the swag I got 2 years ago was great! Hat, shirt, socks, medal, and great post race stuff. Darn, that unpredictable March weather.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Top 5 Tri Races in DFW (organization and Swag bag goodies) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2012 DFW Race Calendar

Started by tikicult
Views: 3429 Posts: 11

2012-03-07 10:09 AM spuphal

DFW Tri Groups, Swimming help

Started by SpeedyDoc
Views: 1343 Posts: 6

2008-09-18 12:58 PM bskyllin

Favorite DFW race producer?

Started by tikicult
Views: 1422 Posts: 15

2008-09-10 6:57 AM gleveq

DFW - Indoor TRI

Started by Ten9T6
Views: 1043 Posts: 7

2007-01-11 8:13 AM JeepFleeb

DFW Tri Clubs

Started by docshock1964
Views: 1068 Posts: 5

2006-10-10 1:47 PM sebjamesm
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.
date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?

date : November 14, 2004
author : Glenn
I have seen cyclists go to a bike shop the day before a race expecting their problem to be fixed, only to be told the shop cannot complete the job in time.