General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Power, I love it! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-19 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Subject: Training with Power, I love it!
I never thought those words would come out of me. I did my first Tri in 1988. I have always considered myself "old school". No heart monitors or power meters for me. I recently bought a new KK Road Machine and had extra $$ on the gift card so I got the Kinetic Inride also. I do a lot of Spinerval DVD's and Troy is always talking about % of FTP he wants you working at. I thought I would give it a try thinking in the back of my mind I probably wasted $189.

I couldn't have been more wrong. I didn't enjoy the 20 minute test though!! After all these years I have found a new energy during my trainer sessions. I have a lot to learn but I'm enjoying the trainer like never before. Nothing earth shattering here, but I thought I would share for those that might be on the fence about giving power a try. If you can get past the $$ I would recommend it.

2013-11-19 11:05 AM
in reply to: TriBoilermaker

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Training with Power, I love it!
Great, that's all I need is a glowing recommendation to train with power! Now, just to find the $$$.

Glad it makes the trainer better. I do know that lots of people really recommend training with power, and I'd like to. Now, what is the compelling argument my wife will buy? hmmm.
2013-11-19 11:09 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Originally posted by kmac1346

Great, that's all I need is a glowing recommendation to train with power! Now, just to find the $$$.

Glad it makes the trainer better. I do know that lots of people really recommend training with power, and I'd like to. Now, what is the compelling argument my wife will buy? hmmm.
You're right it is a lot of money. I'm far from the expert but I don't know of any cheap way to do it. If you already have a KK trainer then it's $189, I don't know if there is anything less than that. Good luck with the sales pitch, you are on your own there!!
2013-11-19 11:15 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

The absolutely cheapest way to do it (that I know of) would be to do a virtual power setup using Golden Cheetah.  All you would need is a supported trainer, an ANT+ speed sensor and an ANT+ stick.  and I suppose a computer that you could setup near the trainer - a laptop would be ideal IMO but not required.

2013-11-19 11:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Originally posted by axteraa

The absolutely cheapest way to do it (that I know of) would be to do a virtual power setup using Golden Cheetah.  All you would need is a supported trainer, an ANT+ speed sensor and an ANT+ stick.  and I suppose a computer that you could setup near the trainer - a laptop would be ideal IMO but not required.

With a little Tweaking you can play the video on the screen and see your HR, Power and cadence at the top. Total cost $59 for the Garmin GSC-10. Even less if you go with an Asian knock-off

Edited by pschriver 2013-11-19 11:37 AM
2013-11-19 3:29 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Dont forget about Trainerroad either. awesome website. You can train with virtual power for the $59 worth of equipment you need and a $10/month fee. You can use an HDMI/Apple TV to pull up the power on your TV and you can have it horizantal along the bottom while you watch whatever you want on the computer. plus it comes with training plans and a boatload of workouts. it makes riding the trainer FAR more bearable and productive.

2013-11-19 3:55 PM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Power is awesome.
2013-11-19 5:25 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
I had a quick look at the GC website, but did not see a list of supported trainers. Is there a list that I missed? Thanks
2013-11-19 5:58 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

Dont forget about Trainerroad either. awesome website. You can train with virtual power for the $59 worth of equipment you need and a $10/month fee. You can use an HDMI/Apple TV to pull up the power on your TV and you can have it horizantal along the bottom while you watch whatever you want on the computer. plus it comes with training plans and a boatload of workouts. it makes riding the trainer FAR more bearable and productive.

Ok now THAT is cool! My trainer is on the list........ I see a Garmin speed sensor in my future!! THANKS!
2013-11-19 6:05 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by triosaurus I had a quick look at the GC website, but did not see a list of supported trainers. Is there a list that I missed? Thanks

Yeah, their documentation is rather..... umm, lacking...

Within GC, I see it gives me a drop down list that includes:
KK Cyclone
KK Road Machine
Cycleops Fluid 2
Lemond Revolution
1up USA
Tacx Satori
Tacx Flow
Minoura V100 Trainer
Saris Powerbeam Pro

2013-11-19 11:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest Dont forget about Trainerroad either. awesome website. You can train with virtual power for the $59 worth of equipment you need and a $10/month fee. You can use an HDMI/Apple TV to pull up the power on your TV and you can have it horizantal along the bottom while you watch whatever you want on the computer. plus it comes with training plans and a boatload of workouts. it makes riding the trainer FAR more bearable and productive.

I've been considering Trainerroad and wondered about hardware.  What would be the ideal setup?  With Xmas coming I have to put a list together.

2013-11-20 2:21 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

The minimum requirements are an ANT+ speed sensor and a ANT+ dongle.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Speed-Cadence-Bike-Sensor/dp/B000BFNOT...

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-USB-Stick-Fitness-Devices/dp/B00CM381S...

The speed sensor captures speed and transmits that speed to your computer in real time to the dongle. From there, software (Trainer Road, Golden Cheetah, etc) calculates virtual power based on that speed using a known speed/power curve for the trainer you have. Most of the common trainers have a power curve established.

Look around for deals. I think someone was selling two ANT+ sticks for $25 in the classifieds...can't remember if it was on here or ST.

2013-11-20 2:22 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

The minimum requirements are an ANT+ speed sensor and a ANT+ dongle. Of course you need a PC as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Speed-Cadence-Bike-Sensor/dp/B000BFNOT...

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-USB-Stick-Fitness-Devices/dp/B00CM381S...

The speed sensor captures speed and transmits that speed to your computer in real time to the dongle. From there, software (Trainer Road, Golden Cheetah, etc) calculates virtual power based on that speed using a known speed/power curve for the trainer you have. Most of the common trainers have a power curve established.

Look around for deals. I think someone was selling two ANT+ sticks for $25 in the classifieds...can't remember if it was on here or ST.

2013-11-20 6:22 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

An even cheaper option if you understand the concepts well enough is to create a table of estimated power at various speeds for your particular trainer using the published power curve, then use that to test to estimate FTP and design training sessions from it.  I did this before I had a power meter about 3 years ago over the winter.  It was more work, but I found it to be very educational.

2013-11-20 6:54 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by TriMyBest

An even cheaper option if you understand the concepts well enough is to create a table of estimated power at various speeds for your particular trainer using the published power curve, then use that to test to estimate FTP and design training sessions from it.  I did this before I had a power meter about 3 years ago over the winter.  It was more work, but I found it to be very educational.

Exactly what I have done for the KK/CO trainers.  I have the full BT/Jorge Cycling plan in Excel, I've shared it with many on BT.  After doing the 5' & 20' test you'll have your Critical Power # and the percentage/zones tables to use with any training protocol that provides power related zones.

2013-11-20 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Is the Golden Cheetah as good as trainer road?

2013-11-20 9:19 AM

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest Dont forget about Trainerroad either. awesome website. You can train with virtual power for the $59 worth of equipment you need and a $10/month fee. You can use an HDMI/Apple TV to pull up the power on your TV and you can have it horizantal along the bottom while you watch whatever you want on the computer. plus it comes with training plans and a boatload of workouts. it makes riding the trainer FAR more bearable and productive.

I've been considering Trainerroad and wondered about hardware.  What would be the ideal setup?  With Xmas coming I have to put a list together.

For the ANT+ stick I would recommend getting the Suunto Mini Movestick. It's really small (hence the mini) so you can keep it plugged into your laptop/pc without noticing it is there.
2013-11-20 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL

I assume you have a trainer? You just need an ANT+ stick and a cadence/speed sensor. And a large fan and plenty of towels. I use a laptop right near my bike and then have my TV tuned to whatever I feel like watching. I have seen some neat setups where people have side-by-side 40" flat screens; one running TR, the other as a TV.

TR is the best money I spend on training. Once you do your FTP test, the workouts appear in a nice GUI. It holds you "accountable" in that your pwoer targets for the workout are displayed and at the end of each interval, a quick summary appears on how close to target your were and how consistent you held that power. There are alos videos you can buy that match workouts, such as Sufferfest. Nate from TR is on BT and is pretty good about responding to TR threads.

I have been using TR for almost three years now (beta tester) and it has imporved my cycling immensly. I actually look forward to going to the basement for pain.
2013-11-20 9:48 AM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

Originally posted by cartman1966

I assume you have a trainer? You just need an ANT+ stick and a cadence/speed sensor. And a large fan and plenty of towels. I use a laptop right near my bike and then have my TV tuned to whatever I feel like watching. I have seen some neat setups where people have side-by-side 40" flat screens; one running TR, the other as a TV.

TR is the best money I spend on training. Once you do your FTP test, the workouts appear in a nice GUI. It holds you "accountable" in that your pwoer targets for the workout are displayed and at the end of each interval, a quick summary appears on how close to target your were and how consistent you held that power. There are alos videos you can buy that match workouts, such as Sufferfest. Nate from TR is on BT and is pretty good about responding to TR threads.

I have been using TR for almost three years now (beta tester) and it has imporved my cycling immensly. I actually look forward to going to the basement for pain.

^^This

*Note: you can also buy a bluetooth Wahoo SC sensor instead of using ANT. It's the same price, but if you have a newer Mac then it has built in bluetooth and you dont need the ANT+ Stick, essentially saving you $40. Thats what i did.

Just an FYI, you can upload any of the Trainerroad files (tcx.?) to websites like Strava and it will include all the power/HR data along with distance.
2013-11-20 12:30 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GAUG3 Is the Golden Cheetah as good as trainer road?

It doesn't include any plans and not nearly as refined but if you are willing to do a little work to figure it out it's free.  It really depends on what you want.  If you want simplicity with little effort in setup, GC probably isn't the way to go.  If you like to tinker, give it a shot.

2013-11-20 3:10 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I assume you have a trainer? You just need an ANT+ stick and a cadence/speed sensor. And a large fan and plenty of towels. I use a laptop right near my bike and then have my TV tuned to whatever I feel like watching. I have seen some neat setups where people have side-by-side 40" flat screens; one running TR, the other as a TV. TR is the best money I spend on training. Once you do your FTP test, the workouts appear in a nice GUI. It holds you "accountable" in that your pwoer targets for the workout are displayed and at the end of each interval, a quick summary appears on how close to target your were and how consistent you held that power. There are alos videos you can buy that match workouts, such as Sufferfest. Nate from TR is on BT and is pretty good about responding to TR threads. I have been using TR for almost three years now (beta tester) and it has imporved my cycling immensly. I actually look forward to going to the basement for pain.

I have a Cycleops Fluid 2.  From what I could gather on the TR website, they can approximate your power based on your particular trainer but was wondering about getting a Powertap.  I'm assuming that would be much more accurate.  I guess you'd still need a cadence/speed sensor?  What about display for power output, etc.?  That would just be on a laptop? 

2013-11-20 3:17 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

A Powertap will give you speed and cadence on the trainer on it's own without a separate sensor.

2013-11-20 3:31 PM

The speed/cadence sensor connects to the TR software and displays real time in the workout chart/view.
2013-11-20 3:39 PM

I assume you have a trainer? You just need an ANT+ stick and a cadence/speed sensor. And a large fan and plenty of towels. I use a laptop right near my bike and then have my TV tuned to whatever I feel like watching. I have seen some neat setups where people have side-by-side 40" flat screens; one running TR, the other as a TV. TR is the best money I spend on training. Once you do your FTP test, the workouts appear in a nice GUI. It holds you "accountable" in that your pwoer targets for the workout are displayed and at the end of each interval, a quick summary appears on how close to target your were and how consistent you held that power. There are alos videos you can buy that match workouts, such as Sufferfest. Nate from TR is on BT and is pretty good about responding to TR threads. I have been using TR for almost three years now (beta tester) and it has imporved my cycling immensly. I actually look forward to going to the basement for pain.

I have a Cycleops Fluid 2.  From what I could gather on the TR website, they can approximate your power based on your particular trainer but was wondering about getting a Powertap.  I'm assuming that would be much more accurate.  I guess you'd still need a cadence/speed sensor?  What about display for power output, etc.?  That would just be on a laptop? 

I have a Cycleops FLuid2. I also purchased a powertap after enjoying virtualpower.

Unfortunately, virtualpower does NOT match closely with powertap power per the power curve used by TR. Mine was off by over 70 watts (Fluid 2 virtual power was 70watts higher than powertap.)

On the bright side, the Fluid2 is extremely precise. The readings between workouts for a given powertap power were precise down to the 0.1mph with a speed sensor, meaning that using virtualpower was every bit as good as using realpower for TR training. In fact, my indoor training hasn't changed one bit since I got the powertap on trainerroad - just gives me numbers that I can correlate to outdoor racing/riding (which is very helpful.) As long as you're going all out on that FTP test, it doesn't matter what number the virtualpower is - it'll be ok for power-based training with the Fluid2.
2013-11-20 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

A Powertap will give you speed and cadence on the trainer on it's own without a separate sensor.

Sorry for the dumb questions but does the powertap transmit the data directly to the laptop or would you still need an ANT+ stick?  Also, how does the powertap give you cadence?  With the powertap, if I'm riding on the road, will it synch up to my 910xt so I could use that to read my data?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Power, I love it! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

A Watt is a Watt - Power Training vs Heart Rate Training

Started by RobertFontaine
Views: 4341 Posts: 22

2013-03-14 10:33 PM golfer17

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2403 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Incorporating Cross-Training into your Power Training?

Started by DRLski
Views: 856 Posts: 2

2009-07-27 6:46 PM DrPete

I Love Weight Training

Started by BigBoy
Views: 1416 Posts: 14

2006-05-24 8:20 PM tupuppy

How Much Do You Love to Train? Pages: 1 2

Started by TianJohns
Views: 2043 Posts: 39

2006-05-13 3:19 PM monkeyboy64
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.