Tempe, Arizona
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 13h 49m 24s
Overall Rank = 1761/2704
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 95/131
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 3:30am to eat. Wanted to get out the door around 5:30, so ended up sitting around for awhile.

Showed up at 5:45 or so. Pumped up tires and had some nutrition about 30 minutes before race start.
Event warmup:

Warmed up my shoulders
Swim
  • 1h 15m 18s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a water start, and people started hopping in the water about 15 minutes before kick off. I walked along the sea wall and stayed dry and tried to keep my right shoulder warm (old baseball rotator cuff injury). Hoped in the water about 5 minutes before the start and got my face wet. The water was a good temp. I wanted to approach the swim as a warm up to the day, and to take it nice and easy.

Once the cannon fired, it was so crowded I couldn't get into a rhythm for what seemed like 1000 yards. I was planning to find a good candidate to draft off of, but it took too much energy to keep them in my sights. The water was very murky, and I had to keep popping out of the water to see if I was still on their feet. Finally I was able to get into a good stroke pattern until the turn around point. At the turn around, it got crowded again, and it took a bit of time to get back into the zone. I got clobbered a few times, but nothing like I expected.

Eventually I could see the swim exit, and my left calf started to cramp. I did a few frog kicks and it went away. I had no issues with my shoulder on the swim which really surprised me. I had to cut swim workouts short for the last month of training because it started to flare up.

Was shooting for a 1:20 swim, so I was happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Get further up in the group and swim harder at the beginning. It took too much energy and time to get out of the initial mass of swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 07m 41s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers were awesome. I changed outside the changing tent because I was staying in my trisuit all day. The dead, dry grass was all over my feet, and it was a pain to get off.

Decided not to wear my long sleeve Under Armour, as it was warmer then I expected.

My bike was racked in an ideal spot, so I didn't even have to think about where to go. End slot on the last rack, closest to bike out.

Bring a towel and water to rinse off my feet. Half of my T1 time was getting grass out of my toes
Bike
  • 5h 52m 51s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I was aiming for an optimistic 19mph pace, as I know my run is really weak. I wanted to save as much time on the bike as I could.

The first loop, I felt really good. I think I averaged about 21mph. The second and third loop were slower, as the wind picked up and I wasn't able to makeup as much time on the way back.

I tried to save my legs on the last loop, which worked out nicely.

Not much. My right foot was numb most of the ride. I need to adjust my cleat position I think.
Transition 2
  • 05m 36s
Comments:

Had to deal with grass again.

Nothing
Run
  • 6h 27m 58s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Definitely my worst leg. I knew going into this that I would need to walk the last half of the marathon. I just didn't put enough time into running.

Started running off the bike and my legs felt shot as I expected. Ran the first few miles and a 12 min pace, when my stomach felt off. Walked for a mile and took a pit stop at the next aid station. Felt better after the stop, and was able to run/walk at about a 13 min pace for the next 13 miles or so.

About 7 miles in, I tossed my water bottle of CarboPro and just used aid stations for calories. After finished the first loop (13 miles), I felt like I could continue the pace for the remainder of the race.

On mile 15, I had stomach issues again that forced me to walk for about 30 minutes. This caused the balls of my feet to badly blister (which has never happened to me before). I tried to start running again, but my feet were just too painful.

I decided that I should stick to the plan and walk the remainder of the race. It was frustrating because my cardio system and legs felt fine, but the blisters were holding me back.

I walked 90% of the rest of the race and ran the last half mile to the finish line.

Figure out how to prevent blisters. I usually blister on my arches, so I really worked on a routine to avoid that. I ended up blistering on a totally different part of my foot instead.

I also need to figure out how to avoid feeling nauseous on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Met my family and watched friends cross the finish line a while later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Blisters

Event comments:

First time Ironman. Really happy with my results given the fact I was only able to get about 60% of the training done.

We had our first child 6 months out from race day and I wouldn't have been able to do what I did without my wife picking up all the slack. It's very difficult to train with a new family member, but definitely possible with the correct support.

Last updated: 2013-11-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:18 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 49/131
Overall: 842/2704
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:52:51 | 112 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/131
Overall: 986/2704
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:27:58 | 26.2 miles | 14m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/131
Overall: 0/2704
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-19 10:57 PM

Subject: Ironman Arizona

2013-11-20 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4901664

Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
You an I were close (as I had a 13:42). Like you, I changed in the grass for the same reason. I put a small towel in my T1 bag to wipe my feet and it was perfect.
2013-11-20 5:42 PM

You an I were close (as I had a 13:42). Like you, I changed in the grass for the same reason. I put a small towel in my T1 bag to wipe my feet and it was perfect.
2013-11-20 6:12 PM

Good job on everything - it was a great day to race. I had similar problems with my feet and a race official recommended a product called Compeed. Put it on before the run and you should be good. I got some that night and put it over my blisters. All was good the next day. Stuff is amazing.
2013-11-20 6:12 PM

Good job on everything - it was a great day to race. I had similar problems with my feet and a race official recommended a product called Compeed. Put it on before the run and you should be good. I got some that night and put it over my blisters. All was good the next day. Stuff is amazing.
2013-11-20 10:50 PM
in reply to: riofire841

Originally posted by riofire841

Thanks for the recommendation. I will give it a try.

2013-11-25 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Great job, IRONMAN!! Great RR!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2

Started by tjfry
Views: 7566 Posts: 33

2006-04-13 6:25 PM tjfry

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MikeB
Views: 10691 Posts: 60

2006-04-12 11:01 AM devotchkatata

Ironman Arizona

Started by stinger
Views: 1679 Posts: 7

2005-07-09 10:57 PM cadreamer

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madcow
Views: 6505 Posts: 53

2005-04-20 11:48 AM DB8

Ironman Arizona - Tiger Phil's Story Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 7176 Posts: 74

2006-06-21 7:53 AM benihana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!