Ate a banana and walked down to the starting line
Event warmup:

Used the porta-potty
Swim
  • 20m 46s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

On the swim I felt very strong, although Sally and I were placed in wave one with all of the hot dogs! Not sure why we were put there, but we did request the same wave so maybe that's where they had space. We let they fast guy go and then went. Sally struggled, but we agreed to stay together for the race, so I would tread water and wait for her. Could have done the swim at least 5 minutes faster I think, I felt really good in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe just swim my own race?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transitions were not clocked

Felt like my transitions were fast. Did everything standing and waited for Sally.
Bike
  • 41m 36s
  • 9 miles
  • 12.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Could have gone faster on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 felt fast. Did not fall off of the bike which was great!
Run
  • 18m 10s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Stomach acid issues were bad. Had to walk 3 time to get it to calm down slightly. This was a bad week, dehydrated on Tuesday which put my stomach issues all out of line. Did ok and Sally stayed with me which made me run more than I probably would have on my own.

Maybe take Pepto before a race
Post race
Warm down:

Walked backed to finish line and cheered people coming in. Walked home after breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach problems

Event comments:

There was no assistance on the bike, big concern if people fall get into trouble. Would be great of there was a water stop on the run, I hated holding my water bottle

Last updated: 2006-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:46 | 875 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 140/167
Overall: 296/334
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca
Course: It was a out of the Sf Yacht Club in Belvedere. Had to swim out past the sea wall and then come back, ended up on the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:36 | 09 miles | 12.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 75/167
Overall: 201/334
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Did the Tiburon loop up until the point where you need to turn around. Lots of bikes on the course, felt a little dangerous. Bike would not click into the small gear in the front, ugg! Waited for Sally on some hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:10 | 02 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 165/167
Overall: 230/334
Performance: Below average
Course: Lap from the Belvedere park to Tiburon Blvd and back. Pretty flat course a few smill rolling hills, nothing big.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 10:48 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: Tiburon Sprint Triathlon

2006-07-31 11:23 AM
in reply to: #498118

Subject: RE: Tiburon Sprint Triathlon
good job! I did the Tiburon Tri as well and had a good time, even though the event was a little too informal I thought. BTW I was told that the wave intervals were 5 mins apart, however based on the timing it appears that they were only 3 mins - did you hear anything about that even though you went in the first wave. Thanks and keep up the good work. Dutch
2006-07-31 11:51 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Dutch-
The announcement I heard was that waves were going off every 3 minutes and from the water it seemed like they were on schedule for that How did your race go?
Abbie
2006-07-31 12:13 PM

It was my first tri in 12 years, first open water wetsuit swim as well. I had a panic attack(around the seawall) due to being uncomfortable and constricted by the wetsuit cap. I was really trippin, anyway all of my training to date went out the window due to this and I really struggled to finish- came in about 2 mins over my target time. I had a good bike except that I dropped my water bottle and stopped to pick it up, and also got stuck unable to pass some riders at times out on Paradise Dr. I did not have much left on my run - my tank was empty, i guess Chuck E Cheese the night before was a bad idea . Overall it has given me some good practice and things to work on before my next race, PacGrove Oly in Sept.
2006-07-31 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Congrats on getting back into tri-ing.
This is my first season and so far I really enjoy the sport. Where do you live? If you are interested, there is a small group of us (4 of us) that have been practicing our open water swims at Aquatic Park in SF on the weekends. It really helped with my comfort level in the water yesterday. If yuo are interested in joining us, just let me know.
Abbie
2006-07-31 2:52 PM
in reply to: #498319

Thanks for the support. I live in the city. Thnaks for the training offer down at aquatic park, I am booked the next couple of weekends but will see if I can make later in Aug. Train well.

2007-07-13 6:16 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
I know these posts are from a year ago, but I was wondering if either of you had any tips for me. I will be doing my first Tri at this years Tib Tri and I am looking forward to it. I don't have all the gear, but I was thinking my first priority should be a wet suit. Also, how many people did you see on mountain bikes? I've got road tires on it or would it be better to rent a true road bike for the day? Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Scott
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiburon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed