Aldergrove Credit Union
30C / 86F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 40s
Overall Rank = 67/156
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at... 6:00 am. Since we stayed in a hotel on Abbotsford, things were a little different than normal for getting ready. I got all of my gear into my bag, and went and had 2 mini whole wheat bagels with cream cheese, along with lots of water and a bite of bananna (all I could muster). Got my things ready and Scott and Colin and I headed to the site around 7:30. We knew things would be a little unorganized because the city was on strike. Package pick-up was supposed to be at 3 the day before, but things just werent working out for the organizers.
Event warmup:

Stood in line for package pick-up for over a half an hour. Jumped in the lake for a quick dip and got my arms moving. And then it was GO time!
Swim
  • 13m 29s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Although there weren't too many people in this race, I seemed to get caught up in a bit of a slow pack. I felt like I was cutting off people and being cut off myself several times throughout the race. Of course, it's never YOUR fault, right? So it seemed to me that everyone else was not navigating very well, and so I would get pushed out of my line and was forced to stop to cut back to where I wanted to be. I didn't get jostled around too much, it was more me jostling other people
What would you do differently?:

Maybe get out to the front of the pack a little bit more. Because this race started by walking across the timing mat, there was no real pressure to get in the water, I think I may have lingered a little too long at the start line.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This time, I was not wearing a wet suit, and already had my tri shorts on. I did NOT wear my riding gloves, but attached them to my bike if I decided I wanted to put them on. So, all I had to do was throw on my shoes, my sunglasses, race #, and helmet and I was OFF! it wasn't too long at all till the mount line, so it was easy for me to run (slowly) my bike there and try to jump on. My bike was in a low gear to start, and besides, there were two big speed bumps, so I didn't want to be going that fast off the mark anyway!

Nothing, I was very happy with this transition.
Bike
  • 44m 29s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.98 km/hr
Comments:

The bike ride was awesome. Although some people of course passed me, I passed some people too. Generally try to find one person to set my sights on, and over take them. It was flat, so I didn't have any problems with keeping my speek up around 30km/hr.

Push harder! I'm sure I could have gone faster, but I am always worried I won't have enough juice for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I got off my bike at T2, to the cheers of the volunteers 'Go 420!' and I said 'MY name is Erin!' so they said 'go Erin!'. ha haha. Got into transition to find that people had racked their bikes all wrong, and that there wasn't a spot for my bike in it's original place. So I put my bike at the end of my slot instead, on top of someone's wetsuit which was lying on the ground. I didn't have any other choice! Took my shoes off no problem and slipped on my shoes. I didn't put socks on. Which was stupid. I grabbed my water bottle and went on my way. Unfortunately, while running to the next timing mat, my number ripped off the holder, so I had to walk and fumble with that, which was unfortunate. I also didn't tie up my shoes, which came back to haunt my later on.

Wear SOCKS. Take a little more time. DON'T bring the water bottle (or get a proper fuel belt, because the water bottle is just too heavy and jostles around. Get a proper ventilated hat. Suggest non=rippable race #'s to the organizers.
Run
  • 28m 43s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 44s  min/km
Comments:

Run was a struggle. I didn't wear socks and felt the blister grow, and then pop. As well, I had to ditch my water bottle, as it was just too heavy and uncomfortable. I also had to pee, so I did, making sure there was no one behind me.

WEAR SOCKS and don't wear the water bottle. Take time at the water stations.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing, had chocolate milk, water, orange slices at the finish. Went to the first aid station and got saline on my blister.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My blisters!

Last updated: 2006-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:29 | 750 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/156
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: One loop in a triangle in the lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:29 | 20 kms | 26.98 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out around the airport (very BAD stretch of potholey, loose asphalt road) then around the surrounding area. A lot of tight turns, but all FLAT, not one hill.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:28:43 | 05 kms | 05m 44s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: 3 Loops around Walmsley lake. A couple of gently rolling hills, all gravel path which was very nice. They gave you hair ties to count your laps.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Abbotsford Triathlon

2006-07-31 1:16 PM
in reply to: #498188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Abbotsford Triathlon
great time on your race!  I had to pause for a minute to shift my mind into metric measurements...   good thing that minutes and hours are the same in the lower forty eight.  "go Erin"
2006-07-31 2:03 PM

User image

Vancouver,BC

I did the Olympic last yr, wasn't too impressed with the organisation, seems they didn't learn much huh?  (esp that piece of crap they call a road behind the airport!)

Well done on the time - esp as it was a bit of a scorcher last weekend wasn't it!

2006-07-31 2:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-07-31 2:18 PM

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
The heat was brutal, it reached 40 during the day there, thank goodness we had cloud cover for the beginning of the race the sun decided to suck the last bit of energy out of us on the run. I hate running loops, but the arm bands were a nice idea so I didn't have to concentrate on counting.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm so absolutely thrilled I came in third, this being my third race ever and all. Definitely motivates me to pump it up a notch and go Oly sometime soon (probably next season).

I agree, it was quite poorly organized, but they blamed it on the city being on strike, which albeit probably had something to do with it, doesn't explain why they had everyone's age wrong (I am NOT 35, although if I was, I'd be looking DAMN good, ha ha). The airport road is absolutely brutal, I saw one girl at the first aid tent getting patched up because she took a tumble (although now that I think about it, I think she said that it wasn't even on that section, lol).

Any races coming up for the rest of the season??
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Abbotsford Triathlon Rss Feed